Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

I began homeschooling about 8 months ago with no idea what I was doing. I did a ton of research into methods and systems and was always drawn to charlotte masons teachings. It just felt right for us. But through a series of events we were led to a classical style curriculum. Its not so unlike CM but there are many workbooks if you use the Wise-Bauer book as your guide. We did this way for the second half of first grade and without meaning to took the summer off. I think we were all burnt out from the huge paperweight. So I made my goal to read the CM series which applied to his age group and have completely redesigned his second grade year to follow her wise counsel. I also read the 'CM companion' by Karen Andreola before the original series to get a condensed idea of what I thought was a lovely, idealic way for our family to grow in their knowledge. I recomend this book also but for more of a personalized review with applicable suggestions to make it work in this modern society. There were a great many things that I was not afforded to learn through public education and I am glad to say that due toall the focus on good, rich liturature and by altering my own powers of attention, I am now making up for the loss. Even my 2 year old is starting to relish in hearing authors like jane austen, rudyard kipling and many others I never imagined being able to read to her. All in deep thanks to a woman who lived near 100 years ago! I recommend this series for anyone who wishes their children to enjoy learning and never consider it work. If your kids love it when you read them a story and are clever story teller, their minds will flourish forever if you give them this amazing opportunity.
29 people found this helpful
on March 4, 2013
**PLEASE NOTE: This review does NOT refer to the red/white or pink/white copies published by Charlotte Mason Research and Supply, even though Amazon is linking this review to them. Those publications are completely legitimate.**

Many *volunteers* for Ambleside Online spent thousands of hours typing and editing and making notations and proofreading all six volumes of Charlotte Mason's work, that they might be available free on the web. Now, someone seems to have cut and pasted all of the volunteer work into a single volume to make themselves a tidy sum. If you disagree with this sort of violation--cutting and pasting, and then publishing not just the public domain material, but also AO's own work, such as footnotes about baby care (which are NOT public domain, but the property of Ambleside Online), etc.--then I highly suggest you do not buy this. Read the material free on AO's website instead.

I look forward to the day that AO's work is made available free on Kindle, and edited to be professional, rather than such sloppy cutting and pasting.

It is one thing to type up your own copy of a public domain work, but quite another to capitalize on the work of others without their permission. Just because AO makes material available free on their website does not mean that others are free to take it and use it for their own profit.
175 people found this helpful
|2828 comments|Report abuse
on November 4, 2016
Charlotte Mason is the best theorist and teacher of education. To train up you children using the approach she discovered, you really owe it to yourself and your children to read all six volumes. She is an inspiringly deep Christian thinker and reminds me a lot of Oswald Chambers.
3 people found this helpful
on February 18, 2013
I've been homeschooling for a long time. I'm currently re-reading this series to refresh myself to keep going. I'm amazed at Charlotte Mason's wisdom. She has ideas and thoughts that are helpful both as a mother and a homeschool teacher.

The only reason I rate it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I believe she gets a bit wordy and some of her examples are dated. What can you expect from a book written so long ago? But it is still difficult to follow her sometimes when she is explaining something using an example from her time--like a book--that everyone should know about, but I've never heard of it. I can't actually know what she is talking about. Generally I get the idea before the example though because she is a bit repetitive. At the same time, that repetition helps drive the point I suppose, but the reality is that I tend to skim and/or skip things when I feel like I already got the point. Perhaps if I hadn't read it before...

I recommend these books if you have time to read through them. They are full of nuggets of wisdom. I find myself wishing I'd read them at the start of my homeschooling journey. I can see mistakes I made that would have been easily corrected if I'd known better.
3 people found this helpful
on March 29, 2013
Incredible wisdom and practical application. Charlotte Mason knew children and was able to distill their needs down and offer a method of teaching that meets the needs and and yet maximizes the natural curiosity and enthusiasm of childhood. I used much of her methodology in teaching my own children and had wonderful results. My oldest is now thriving in college and is still a life-long learner. My youngest is in high school and still loves learning as well.
This ebook set seems easy to use and navigate.
I also own the original soft bound book set.
on March 4, 2013
I regret buying this as it has come to light that the text is copied from Ambleside Online's website, where it has been typed by volunteers - and made freely available there to anyone who wants to read it.

But CM herself is a timeless educator, and emphasizes that school is NOT to pass a test but rather to feed the mind on ideas. She doesn't play down to children and encourages balance: lots of time outside with a wide variety of living books. I also LOVE her emphasis on habit - setting in those good habits so that we can focus on the rest of life.

Again, be careful which version you buy. Don't support lazy people who steal the work of others.
8 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 6, 2013
I love this series and it was a steal for my Ipad at 99 cents. Charlotte Mason is one of my heroes and was way ahead in her thinking. We would do well to apply her principles today to our classrooms. So grateful for the chance to homeschool and these books are a huge encouragement.
on December 26, 2014
Great way to obtain goodie for the Charlotte Mason homeschooler or those interested in parts of CM.
on October 9, 2017
The best way to approach home education.
on July 20, 2016
This is long but a good throw back to the old days. Lots of great advice can be found for mothering and teaching in the modern day.