Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 386 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 436 reviews
on August 8, 2012
The scope of the book expands and other factions, some familar become involved and this book sets up for some fantastic adventures in the future.

The pacing is good, there are some excellent fight scenes, character developing, especially Dhalia.

I have read Salvator books for the past 20 years on and off, and this is one of the better ones. A must have book for any Drizzt/Entreri fan.
on March 5, 2017
very good
on March 18, 2017
R.A. Salvatore delivers another great tale of glory, deception, love and loss. Open-ended enough for a few more stories. Fantastic.
on August 19, 2016
I love Salvatore, enough said.
on August 9, 2012
This third installment of the Neverwinter saga unravels the story of Dhalia and A. Entreri and give resolution with their conflict with Alegni that has been exposed in the last two previous books. The book is a great read, very dynamic, with lots of fighting action and LOTS of interaction and backside plots between and simultaneously in the different fractions and parties involved. To all interested in the new events shaping Faerun THIS BOOK IS A MUST READ, Faerun has become a very dark place: The Shadovar, Thay, The Abolegtic Sovernigty, demons, and dark elves expanding!! Our trio of rougues Dhalia, Drizzt and Entreri re-shape their associations and open up new possibilities, new adventures. This book NEEDS to be read in succession of the other two (too much going on and back plots come to live). R.A Salvatore do lots of character development in this book and add more dark elves that add a lot of chaos. Only reason I don't give 5 stars is because in previous novels has been a lot going on with Jarlaxle and hinting great things to come and we are again kept waiting! Till next book I guess...Enjoy.
on March 19, 2013
Neverwinter Saga Book 3 - Charon's Claw
I was really excited for the 3rd book. There were a lot of ways the story could go after the previous book so I dove right in. It started out by getting back into what made R.A Salvatore famous: the drow. There was plenty of Underdark intrigue to be had, including Gromph Baenre - probably my favorite mage in the Forgotten Realms books - and I was kind of bummed when the story left the drow and turned back to Neverwinter. I'll be honest; I don't care how the town of Neverwinter organizes its militia and guards. If they can't man up enough to drive out the Netherese then I don't really care. The story chugged along rather predictably with Drizzt and crew going after the Herzgo Alegni to get Charon's Claw back but I never really felt connected to the story. The real high points were checking back in on the drow caravan to Gauntlgrym. I wasn't overly wild about the whole SpellSpinner thing but that is likely because I don't follow Dungeons and Dragons anymore and I'm not up to speed on the latest editions. I also prefer my driders and drow outrageously evil and unpredictable and these felt watered down. Sure they were evil, but not chaotic evil the way Lady Lloth prefers.

My biggest complaint about the book is the sheer number of open plot lines that were started and completely ignored. There were so many unanswered plot lines at the end of this book that I planned to write a review about it last year, simply so I could try and wrap my mind around it. It was so out of character for R.A. Salvatore and so strange for his style that I was ready to write it off as an unfortunate deadline issue or really crappy editing. An old rule in gaming is that "you don't describe the window if you want the group to use the door". A couple of the unresolved plot lines were to be expected and I looked forward to their story: the potential Dahlia/Entreri hook up, the creation of Lullaby and Spiderweb (Tiago Beanre's sword and shield), and Errtu the balor. Having a few plot lines to carry into the next book is kind of an expectation but this one had so many that I literally forgot about some of them until typing this up:
* What about the drow now inhabiting Gauntlgrym?
* What about Guenhwyvar?
* How come Artemis didn't die when they destroyed Charon's Claw? There was a crap ton of build-up and absolutely no payoff.
* What about Athrogate and Jarlaxle?
* What about the Aboleth? In case you haven't read it, The Orc King starts decades in the future from the timeline in that book and one of the things mentioned is the rise of the aboleth. I thought for sure this would tie in since there was lots of build up, but again there was zero payoff.
* What about Arunika the succubus? It seemed like she was going to play a larger part but no.
* What about Vampire Pwent?
* What about Valindra Shadowmantle and her zombie/mummy champion? They were essentially ignored in this book.

If we go with the tree analogy, this was a bush not a tree. There was no central plot - just a bunch of side stories that were generally connected through the characters involved. It ended and I felt really frustrated because there were a ton of unanswered questions - far more than normal for a Salvatore story and far more than I appreciated after spending the money to buy the book. It felt unfinished and rushed.
on August 9, 2012
Bringing conclusion to the primary story arc from Neverwinter and opening new doors. Exciting action as typical of Salvatore and Drizzt questioning he role in a new way make for an excellent new Drizzt adventure. Also good to see some Drow house intrigue brought back, and the 4 or 5 threads woven into this story set great hooks in the forthcoming books. If you like Salvatore he continues his strong run of recent Drizzt stories here.
on January 13, 2013
I felt the book was 2/3 about fight choreography and only 1/3 of it had a story in it. Mind you, I like Salvatore's skill in depicting a fight, but it felt it a bit too much. I found myself scanning through pages and pages of sword/dagger/staff fighting to see what came next in the story.

It felt like the long and complicated fight choreography are there as fluff to add more pages to the books, more books to the series and increase sales. To each is own I guess.
on August 16, 2012
I am a huge fan of R.A Salvatore and the Drizzt series. I have read every book and just finished Neverwinter 3 Charon's Claw. I have to admit though that I was disappointed with this book. It dragged on at many parts and the conclusion was less then epic. Probably one of my least favorite of the Drizzt series thus far. Best chapter was probably the Epilogue because of the hints of whats to come. Knowing there will be at least one more book after this one allows me to forgive the not so epic ending but still, just did not feel like a solid Drizzt book. Worth reading? yes, but only because it continues on the story line, but feels like a filler more then anything.
on July 23, 2013
I was initially upset at the death of every member of the companions of the hall save drizzt. This book, like all of the recent books, has drizzt in an emotional grey area unlike the initial books of the series where everything was very black and white. I understand R.A.S is giving depth to drizzt's character but it was an adjustment for me to start anew without cattie brie, wulfgar, regis, and bruenor. I can only hope RAS comes full circle on those somehow because although I really enjoyed this book, I dont feel there was any closure on those characters. I cant imagine moradin and clangedin allowing bruenor battlehammer to be whisked away by meilikki when his rightful place would be in a dwarven heaven. I also cant see cattie bri, a warrior at heart, dancing endlessly and singing around a lake like a blithering idiot. Many discordant notes here that I was hoping would be righted in this book but aside from some weird resurrection of Pwent, no joy.