Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 59 reviews
on April 14, 2016
I found Divine Misfortune first and, while I was not totally entertained by it, was interested enough to try more of Mr. Martinez's work. In the company of Ogres left me flat, but I really liked Nameless Witch and Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest and loved Monster - something quite new about that one.

Chasing the Moon, however, has something really special - the way Diana knows she is not quite sane anymore and wonders if that's ok, is extremely compelling. Her character's eagerness to understand little parts of the craziness of the alien universe she has come to inhabit even though she knows it may cost her what is left of her sanity is somehow wonderful. Oh, and I like her monsters and the way she kicks a$$. Anyway, Chasing the Moon and Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain are both very clever, even after several readings I still find more to enjoy. Now, I find myself, having read everything of Mr. Martinez that is available, waiting impatiently for more.

If, I can ask a favor Mr. Martinez? A sequel to Chasing the Moon might be very cool....... :)
on June 14, 2017
The worst thing about Chasing the Moon is that it's nearly impossible to describe when recommending it to others. It's sort of about monsters, and eldritch horrors, and roommates, and layers of reality, and... And it's full of quirky characters and clever, funny dialog, but it's not quite a satire or a full-on comedy. It is, like all of A. Lee Martinez's creations, its own unique self.

Fans of Douglas Adams will appreciate the sense of humor and endless creativity in Chasing the Moon, but it's difficult to compare it directly to anything else I've read. While the story borrows some ideas from (satirizes, maybe a bit?) Lovecraft, the style is breezy and the dialog snappy.

The audiobook rendition of Chasing the Moon is also excellent. Martinez's writing lends itself to reading aloud, and the witty, sometimes snarky dialog really pops in the audio version.
on May 27, 2014
I have read a number of Mr. Martinez's books (incidentally, "The Automatic Detective" is my favorite), and I would say that "Chasing the Moon" is just as enjoyable as the others. The story concerns a young coat saleswoman named Diana who is offered an incredible deal on an apartment. Her Universe shifts (literally) when she lets the monster out of the closet.

What I have always admired about A. Lee Martinez is his creativity. He is an author with a distinct voice and almost boundless imagination. "Chasing the Moon", like "The Automatic Detective", allows him to display a gift for philosophical musing, though never in an overbearing or pretentious manner. His humor is still on display, as well as his gift for creating outlandish but believable characters, and fun dialogue. The story is well-paced with a nice payoff at the end.

Martinez deserves more attention in the fantasy market. His unique, standalone novels get better and better, and his stories deserve our attention. Give him a read---you won't be disappointed.
on March 19, 2017
A. Lee Martinez has mastered the art of juxtaposing the mundane with the absurdly strange. I don't think that it's too much of a stretch to compare his writings to Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. Certainly a worthwhile read.
on May 27, 2012
Once the weird starts, it just keeps going. There was a bit of fantasizing for me while reading this. I remember saying out loud, I would give anything to be put in the protagonist's position.

Diana's monster friends were awesome! Awesome and hysterical...and loyal, even if one of them kind of wants to eat her.

I think the thing that I picked up and agreed with most vehemently in this book, is how stupid and useless are the majority of humanity. Sorry folks, but man's place in the universe is a small one. And most people would fail the acid test of worth.

So, if that last paragraph didn't depress you or make you hate me, pick up this book. It is a fun journey.
on January 19, 2013
I loved this book. It's short, and a quick read... but I loved the characters- including many of the eldritch horrors- and it was just a lot of fun.

The scene in the department store coat department when Diana was learning to use her newfound powers for GOOD made me laugh out loud to the point I'm surprised I did not wake up my sleeping husband.

It's all just a matter of having a working perspective....

Very recommended. It'd make a good companion to "Good Omens", albeit with a more Lovecraftian and less Biblical approach.
on August 10, 2011
I'm a huge fan of the author's work, that being said I don't think this is his best work. I found it a bit boring in places and had to keep myself from skipping whole paragraphs to get to something more interesting. There is a lot a lot of good stuff in here as well though, I always enjoy his characters, written very well. I would recommend this book even though it's not his best its better than most.
on July 24, 2011
I liked it enough that I dont regret buying it, but its definitely not his best work. Overall, the story felt like it lacked...importance? Like there wasnt alot of urgency, and the stuff that happened didnt matter much. There wasnt even a real antagonist. It was also kinda short. Over all, I would rate it above "a nameless witch" since it was an easy read, but thats about it.
on March 27, 2012
In the book "Chasing The Moon" Chasing the Moon a. Lee Martinez succeeds at developing believable characters in absurd situations. Martinez skillfully crafts a tale that simultaneously make you laugh, cringe, and shake your head in amazement.
When reading one of Martinez's books, my disbelief not only gets suspended, but rather is straitjacketed and placed in a small padded cell, for its own protection of course.
The only negative aspect to "Chasing The Moon" or any of his other books, is that the time spent in Martinez's various worlds never seem to last long enough.
on May 25, 2013
Have enjoyed all of his novels. This was no exception. I greatly appreciate his sense of humor intertwined with the sci-fi/fantasy aspect of his novels. I love that each novel is unique and fully formed. It has become tiresome with other authors who want to create an ongoing series that the individual novels feel incomplete. I don't have to worry about that with Martinez. (Although most of his novels create interesting enough characters and situations that I would not mind re-visiting them.)