Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Cheese For Dummies Paperback – May 15, 2012
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Author
From the Back Cover
From a pungent Gorgonzola to the creamiest Brie, the world of cheese involves a vocabulary of taste second only to wine. The cheese section of the grocery store and cheese shop can seem, for some, a bewildering experience. With the increasing popularity of artisanal cheeses, this humble food made from curdled milk has become a national obsession. To make the world of cheese less intimidating, we've created a handy primer to selecting cheese, pairing cheese with wine, cooking with cheese, and making cheese. In Cheese For Dummies, everyday cheese lovers will learn how to become true connoisseurs!
- Discover new tastes — develop a palate to discern which cheese is right for you
- Take a tour — explore different cheeses from around the world
- Examine the process of cheesemaking — review the key ingredients in cheese and how they come together
- Explore the history of cheese — find out how cheese was accidentally created over 12,000 years ago
- Discover the types of cheeses available — note the difference between fresh, surface-ripened, washed-rind, natural-rind, and blue cheeses
- Delve into cheesy combinations — create an impressive cheese plate with the right accompaniments
- Learn to accessorize — explore different cheese boards, knives, and other accessories for your needs
- Find the right temperature — learn about the best serving temperature and storage methods for your favorite cheeses
- Get hands-on experience — discover how you can make your own cheese at home
Open the book and find:
- The benefits of daily dairy consumption
- Different cheese styles and rind types
- Questions to ask your cheesemonger
- How to select the best quality cheeses
- Recipes that make cheese the life of the party
- Details on domestic and imported cheeses
- How to pair cheese with wine, beer, and other beverages
- Online cheese resources
- Photos of different styles and varieties of cheese
- Appreciate cheeses from around the world
- Pair cheese with wine, beer, and non-alcoholic beverages
- Prepare delicious recipes featuring cheese
- Make your own cheese
Top Customer Reviews
It's all done in a very straightforward, friendly manner, without talking down to the reader or dumbing down the content. Reading it, I get inspired to go shopping and start tasting some cheese right away!
So far, I've learned a lot and am really impressed with the content, which is presented in an approachable, fun and understandable way and really draws the reader in. The authors clearly know their subject well and have inspired me to learn more. Also, the photographs are a great addition. I highly recommend this book for anyone who has more than a passing interest in cheese and wants to delve into the subject further.
So I was delighted to get the truly (and literally) amazing Cheese For Dummies book from Laurel Miller, Thalassa Skinner, and the staff of CultureCheeseMag.com, which is published by Wiley. The book includes a forward from celebrity chef Ming Tsai (who I still can't believe didn't win the Next Iron Chef), who says that TITLE "should not be overlooked by foodies or self-professed cheese connoisseurs" because it provides "essential information you need in an easy-to-digest format" and "is extremely current, with content you won't find in other resources."
Cheese For Dummies includes a number of incredible recipes for all eight-courses of any meal, from the simple -- "Bistro Salad with Poached Egg and Parmigiano-Reggiano" -- to the fancy, like their "New Classic Cheese Souffle." The book offers both savory dishes -- "Pan-Roasted Wild Mushrooms over Cheddar Polenta with Pumpkinseed Oil" or their "Cheesemonger Mac & Cheese" -- as well as sweet, like their "Dried Apricot Goat Cheese Tart.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Newbie with cheese, but decided to host a tasting party. After scanning this book, I at least know terminology to use when ordering.Published on April 19, 2014 by Amazon Customer
The book is a good book and I received it in good time and in great condition. It was just not what I was looking for.Published on April 9, 2014 by Clara V. Saunders
I was disappointed in this as I was looking for Cheesemaking. This is about pairing cheeses with wine an also recipes. Seeing as how it was my own fault I gave it 3 stars.Published on October 13, 2013 by Rose
Great "manual" for learning about cheese from the folks who know cheese. As a study source and as a reference, this book has got your cheese covered.Published on May 12, 2013 by Marcella, the Cheesemonger
Cheese For Dummies really delivers. I already have a fairly good book on cheeses of the world, and was famlliar with cheese basics but I've learned a lot from this book. Read morePublished on March 13, 2013 by Lisa P.