Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 21, 2009
What I like about this book is that it's so approachable, and whenever I open it, I get ideas for new cheeses to try and ways for serving them. Other reviewers are right: this isn't a comprehensive guide, but that's fine -- those already exist. I go to Steven Jenkins' CHEESE PRIMER whenever I want to learn the history of a cheese, and I carry MURRAY'S CHEESE HANDBOOK in my jacket pocket whenever I go to the cheese counter, but I find that I pull out Janet Fletcher's book whenever I have people over or whenever I want ideas for hosting a tasting. The photos are stunning, and the prose is just as beautiful. I'm slowly working my way through the list of cheeses at the front of the book. CHEESE & WINE creates curiosity and reverence for cheese, and that, to me, is just as worthwhile as a book that offers pricing, thumbnail photos, and tasting notes. As a smartly written coffee table book designed to inspire, it accomplishes exactly what it should.
on February 18, 2008
Janet Fletcher's "Cheese & Wine," is a decent compendium of the major Western European and American cheeses of the world but is somewhat lacking in basic information to make this is a must-buy. For starters, it is disappointing that only (approximately) half of the 70 cheeses listed in the book are accompained by photographic images. For a book that purports itself to be a good starting point for cheese novices this lack of visual information is a serious mis-cue. Another point that was disappointing was the lack of any pricing info on the assortment of cheeses. Even the most cursory inclusion of the general pricing for each item would have been greatly welcome. That being said the photos that are included are all spectacular and it goes without saying that the overall construction and layout of this tome is extremely well-done and very handsome throughout.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2008
This book has been instrumental in my personal mission to teach myself more about cheese! From the where and how it's developed to wine pairings, to ideas on putting together successful cheese plates, it's a must have for any at home cheesemonger!
on January 2, 2016
I really wanted to like this book. It has a detailed analysis of each cheese but is severely lacking information on creating a cheese platter. It has an amazing amount of information on a cheese with a wine (but some entries directly contradict my cheese store's handouts). It just doesn't offer enough about what other pairings such as fruits, nuts and which cheeses go well together. Would have appreciated a type of board, layout guide, etc.
on March 27, 2012
Great book for Cheese break-downs, Not for Wine Pairing though. I forgot i already have this exact book, but they dont spend much time on giving you specific wine pairings and that's what i bought it for. However, it arrived much sooner than estimated and was listed as "Like New", it appears to be Brand New with no visible markings/creases.
on August 16, 2012
Found this gem of a book at a used bookstore for about $5. Devoured half the book in one sitting. At work no less! There are so many wonderful cheeses in this book is is sad that most can't be imported into the USA. I find it a wonderful companion to The World Cheese Book. This will definitely come in handy next time my friend and I throw a cheese and wine party.
on September 17, 2015
Wonderful guide to pairing cheeses and wines. The cheese narratives are thorough and interesting ... and the photography is simply stunning. The author also offers some very helpful suggestion lists for combining wines and cheeses. Makes me want to throw and wine and cheese party!
on April 10, 2016
Both cheese and wine are delicious and the combination is something out of Aladdin! Only improvement would be a larger section at the beginning of the book going into a bit more detail of what pairs well with what and why.
on July 14, 2012
This is a great coffee table book with great suggestions for wine and cheese events. Whether it is your stress relief hobby on weekends or days off, or for guests. I used it as part of a themed gift for fathers day for my husband who recently became interested in wines. He loves cheese and the combination while watching games on weekends. I was planning just a cheese basket with cutting board etc... But found this and thought it was an ideal way to get him to truly appreciate the experience of wine and cheese. One of those things you would never buy for yourself, but neat to have if you are into wine and cheese.
on February 11, 2011
The Wine and cheese book was excellent. It explained the types of cheeses and how they were made and then paired the cheeses with wine that would complement them. I have learned a lot and have begun experimenting with different wines and cheeses.