Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

Last year, I started a monthly cooking challenge that had me making new recipes each month. That led me to upgrading much of my kitchen equipment or buying new stuff (like a dutch oven).

As I look to redo the challenge for this year, I realized there are still some additions needed. Specifically, I needed a new colander.

My decades old colander, handed down from Mom, has been a trusty green friend for a long time, Alas, it has a small break in the bottom, so I need a younger companion.

Step right up with this perfectly sized and well-made colander. It's a large size (5-qt.) because, well, you just can't have too much room in your colander.

I have always preferred plastic to metal colanders for durability, flexibility and ease of cleaning. The colander arrived this morning and I wanted to test it right away and, lo, there be broccoli.

That's two big heads of broccoli in there and obviously plenty of room to spare.

My only concern was the size of the holes, which are difficult to judge from the Amazon image. I needed one that could safely handle the small elbow macaroni for my regionally-famous 7-cheese macaroni and cheese.

Upon seeing it in person, I feel pretty confident, but maybe I should just whip up a batch to test it. Right after my upcoming annual physical and blood tests. No need to spike the cholesterol before then!

I am completely satisfied, bordering on delighted, with this colander to fit my kitchen and the price was exceptional to fit my budget.
review image
on December 14, 2016
This colander is larger than expected and has many uses. It's sturdy, thick, and had enough holes right at the bottom where some colanders are solid for some reason, and it even can be used to drain a small load of hand washed clothing before rinsing to save effort. I use it lined with coffee filters to drain homemade yogurt to make Greek yogurt. You use the whey separately. I got it at a lower price than is currently advertised, but it's a good deal at both prices.
This was a pleasant surprise. It's a very nice inexpensive colander. The base isn't wobbly in the sink. It's a really nice size...deeper than most which will make this a nice "harvesting" colander this summer when we go out to pick berries, beans, and greens from the garden. Some mentioned the holes being a little too big for pasta. I don't have a problem. Some thin noodles might stick through the holes after you shake it around a little but you don't lose anything. Actually the holes are a little larger than most cheap colanders but that's one of the things I like about this one. It drains very well. It also cleans easily.
on September 29, 2017
I bought this to wear to my local FSM The Flying Spaghetti Monster church gathering. Come to find out, the devoted all only use the metal colanders. I guess plastic is the white trash version. Oh well, its a great product for the price. The size is plenty big enough for a full box of pasta. Easy to clean, and handles the dishwasher fine. (i was joking about the first bit, just for laughs)
on January 12, 2018
The holes in this strainer are really too big, but it does work. I've used it to make mac and cheese (kraft brand standard macaroni) They were falling through into the sink. I have also used it for angel hair pasta. I am continuing to use it until I find a replacement, so it does work you just need to be quick in the sink with it.
VINE VOICEon March 8, 2018
This colander is wonderfully sturdy, heavy and sure to last. The previous colander I had sadly had small holes in lattice work formation that weakened and broke over time, thus defeating the purpose. Although the holes are rather large, this works well for me. It is ideal for washing and rinsing fruits and vegetables. You can put a strainer in it to avoid noodles from slipping through the holes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 30, 2017
For this very low price it is fine. Quality is useable but not great -has a slight smell. I just wanted something cheap for the time being. Since I don't expect food to remain in contact with this for more than a minute. I think it is safe to use.
on October 11, 2015
I didn't realize how big this would be, but it works great. Even though the holes look big, I have used it with regular spaghetti and not one noodle has fallen through. (But I do use wheat pasta which may stick together more.) Best of all, there hasn't been a weird residue sticking to it that I would have to scrub off afterwards. It can be put straight into the dishwasher without any prep work! It is a bit large, so make sure you check out the dimensions since most people don't have the cabinet space for it.
on June 17, 2016
I have been using this colander for over a week now, having purchased it a short while ago. I have had zero issues with staining, structure, or size. The colander holds up well under high heat and a heavy load, noodles or vegetables, regardless. None of the items have left any noticeable staining, though the product is white. Lastly, for the price you are paying, the product it quite large. I was able to boil two large boxes of pasta and them strain them through the colander without issue. If you are stuck on a college student budget as I am, this cheap but effective colander is worth it.
on March 16, 2017
It is sturdy enough for me to make normal meals, drain pasta, potatoes, beef, etc. Not flimsy as the price would suggest.