Chef'n Sleekstor VeggiSteam 8-1/2-Inch Silicone Steamer, Arugula
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Made from heat-resistant silicone, so will not stain, nor retain food tastes and odors
- Withstands heat up to 650 degrees F (340 degrees C); durable nylon core
- Great for everyday cooking; can also be used in the microwave
- Measuring 8-1/2 inches in diameter; equipped with an expanded surface area; offered in a choice of fun, vibrant colors
- When the cooking's done, cleanup's a snap since the VeggiSteam is top-rack dishwasher safe
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
With its sleek lines and expanded surface area the Chef'n SleekStor VeggiSteam Silicone Steamer is a steaming revolution. It has a silicone body with a nylon core; it is 650°F (340°C) heat resistant! It will not stain or retain food tastes and odors. All VeggiSteams are top rack dishwasher safe and safe to use in the microwave. Arugula color. 8.5-inch in diameter. Made by Chef'n. Chef'n began twenty years ago based on the principle that kitchen products could be a lot smarter, easier and more fun. Right from day one, Chef'n found an audience hungry for its brand of Tasteful Ingenuity. Today that legacy lives on with the precision refinements to acclaimed inventions, new technologies, design techniques, and entirely new products.
Sleekstor VeggiSteam Silicone Steamer by Chef'n
That old metal clunker? See if it can be recycled, because there's a new steamer in the cabinet. With its sleek lines and expanded surface area, the SleekStor VeggiSteam is a steaming revolution.
The VeggiSteam has a silicone body with a nylon core and is 650 degrees F (340 degrees C) heat resistant. It will not stain or retain food tastes and odors. To use, place the steamer in your small or medium sized pot over water, then insert vegetables. The steamer has a three-leg base that raises vegetables or other produce above water for superior steam. The VeggiSteam fits in any small or medium sized pot; it features two handles for safe removal and will never scratch your cookware, unlike traditional metal steamers. All VeggiSteams are top rack dishwasher safe and safe to use in the microwave.
- Modern non-stick design protects surfaces of pots and pans
- Made from heat-resistant silicone
- Will not stain, nor retain food tastes and odors
- Withstands heat up to 650 degrees F (340 degrees C)
- Durable nylon core
- Great for everyday cooking
- Microwave safe
- Equipped with an expanded surface area
- Offered in a choice of fun, vibrant colors
- When the cooking's done, cleanup's a snap
- Top rack dishwasher safe
What we do is who we are
There's something you should know about us. We can't stand the status quo—especially when the status quo stinks. That was literally true back in 1982, when you had two options for getting garlic into your meal: chop up a fresh clove and have your hands smell for the rest of the day, or settle for a couple of thin, dry flakes tapped out of a plastic container. For our founder, CEO, and Famous Inventor David Holcomb, there really was no option. He had to do better, and he knew he could.
Fast forward a few decades and David's first creation, the Garlic Machine, has become Chef'n. We're a growing Seattle-based company with more than 250 product patents worldwide and a single mission. We want to make better tools so you can make better food. It's what drives our in-house design team to reinvent the utensils and gadgets that most of us take for granted while we're cooking and cleaning. It's what attracts the terrific, talented people we've welcomed into our Chef'n family. And it's what compels us to tell everyone we meet about the innovation Chef'n products can bring to their kitchens.
Is anyone listening? Well, the design awards and magazine covers seem to say yes, but for us the true test is in the homes of real people around the world. So put one of our inventions to work, create something delicious, and we look forward to hearing from you about your Chef'n experience.
Top customer reviews
Things I like about it:
- Color options. Just a little splash of color make it a little bit more fun in some way. At least to my wife.
- Silicone is heat resistant. I usually can touch the steamer itself without worry of it being too hot to touch.
- Does not scrape pot/pan it is being used in as some metal ones might.
- Microwaveable - but I don't think i'll use this option since I don't want the microwave to be cooking my veggies too.
- Dishwasher proof - Had no issues with using the dishwasher to clean it.
- Fairly cheap
- Cleaning by hand is pretty simple and fast.
Things I still would like:
- May be nicer if there was an option with longer legs so I could possible boil something underneath while the veggies cook. Also longer legs may allow for maybe two to be purchased and have it be stackable as well (if the pot you're using is big enough). Stackable also means I could possibly cook more veggies at once since you don't typically want to cram all your veggies into the steamer.
I think this steamer is good for 1-2 person use or basically if you're only going to be cooking small batches of veggies at a time. If you want to steam lots of food (veggies, fish, dumplings, etc) at one time in parallel, then there may be better options for you. I do still give this product five stars since it does what I expected it to do for my purposes. I may find myself getting a multiple tier one in the future if I find myself wanting to steam more than I can currently with this product (or use something like the 2 tier bamboo ones in conjunction with this one - as one can sit in the pot and the other can sit on top possibly).
Been using the steamer for small things over my bamboo steamer. I did find one time that the steamer let me down and that was when I filled up the steamer with large chunks of broccoli. I don't think I filled it up too much, but the sides of the steamer wasn't able to hold the weight and it ended up bending and letting the broccoli on the edges fall into the water =(. Lesson learned. It's still good, but I just try and make sure not to fill it up too much.
I read somewhere I should be using a stainless steamer with a stainless pressure cooker, but it did not hold up at all well.
Silicone is very gentle to your pots. If you have expensive pots or Teflon coated pots, you can be sure they will be safe. Another advantage of silicone is that it is resistant to food stain and smell.
I would recommend the bigger one as it comes in two sizes, an 8-1/2 and the 11 inch. The edges are soft so it will conform to the size of your pots.
The only negative I can think of is price. There are not a lot of these on the market; We need more to bring down the price. I think twelve bucks is a good price as oppose to almost twenty bucks (shipped) I paid for the 11-inch.
Make sure you have enough water to prevent the steamer from being burned.
- It's much smaller than I imagined. Yes, it's 8.5" like the description says, but I didn't physically figure out how big that was and when it arrived it was a lot smaller than I thought. (See uploaded photos in a 2- and 3-qt pots.)
- This isn't something you'd use when steaming veggies for more than two people---and I doubt even an extra large head of broccoli would fit.
- It's difficult to get out of the pot when it's done cooking. The handles get hot (of course) and they sit deep enough inside the pot that it takes some finagling to get a wooden spoon or something through the handles to lift it out. And forget if you have something tiny in there like peas--they'll end up all over the place since it's not sturdy.
So, these three reasons were why I sent it back. It might be passable if you only will ever need it for small quantities of veggies (and big pieces at that) and don't mind the pain of trying to life it out of the pot... otherwise, I'd look for another solution.
Most recent customer reviews
Customers also shopped for
See the Top Rated cookware in our Cookware Reviews.