Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 85% on textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New LG Stylo 4 | $249.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 17, 2016
Ok, I wanted to give this coffee maker a little time before I posted my review; in order to get used to this new (old) way of making coffiee. After having it for almost 2 months now, I can say that we LOVE it! Our 2 year old, 100 buck, "high end" POS maker crapped out. So we were looking for an alternative to the norm, tired of vinegar cleaning, and spending $$$, and boy did we find it! Thoughts below:

Quality of item - It is very high quality and has held up very well. BE SURE that you buy a genuine Chemex brand and NOT a cheap knock off! They exist out there. A friend of ours mistakenly bought a knock off, and its quality is no where near the quality of Chemex. The knock off is too thin and easily cracks and breaks. Beware! As for this brand, no complaints at all. It has held up beautifully, and we make at least 1 pot a day.

Time it takes to brew - Ok, the MAIN thing is that you have to boil water in a kettle, and manually feed it water of course. So, whatever time that takes on your stove to boil a kettle, that's the time you can add to what it would normally take you to make coffee in an electric maker. For us, we timed both. What we found is that it takes us approximately 5 minutes longer to make a pot of coffee in the Chemex, due to the time it takes to boil the water, mostly. Manually pouring it is a sunk cost, obviously. As for the maker itself, it takes about the same time as an electric maker, or perhaps even less. BUT, the difference in the quality of coffee is AMAZING! We use Folgers Columbian and when brewing via the Chemex, it tastes, smells, and "feels" like Starbucks! No joke. Never got that quality out of an electric maker, ever. So, is it worth the extra 5 mins and a bit of labor? YEP!

Filters and such - When we bought this maker, we also bought the traditional Chemex paper filters to go with it. We also took the advice of others and bought the metal mesh filter for it too, which is a bit costly. Using the traditional papers filters was rather time consuming. They are thick and, while they do produce an amazing coffee, they are very slow. So, we decided to use the metal filter. Problem with using the metal filter alone is that the holes in it are large enough to let fine sediment through, and it's also too quick; meaning that the coffee grounds do not get a chance to really saturate and release the coffee robustness, and flavor... So... what to do? Well, what we found is that if we buy standard #4 cone type coffee filters, combine it with the metal filter (placing it on the inside of the metal filter of course), we get the best of both worlds. The #4 filters are thick enough to hold the water in longer, but not too thick so the flow is better. The metal filter "stiffins" the #4 filter and also catches any loose particles that might escape the #4 filter. The result - We capture the full flavor of the coffee, and save $ in the long run because #4 filters can be bought anywhere, and cheaply. We use the unbleached #4's.

Keeping coffee hot - When we brew a pot in the Chemex, we immediately transfer it from the Chemex to a thermos type coffee carafe. Since the temperature is near boiling when the pot is brewed, the coffee stays hot in the carafe all day long. We bought the glass lid for the Chemex, but mostly use it to keep dust out of the Chemex when it's not in use. Plus, it looks nice on top of it ;)

Clean up - We simply rinse it out after letting it cool down a bit... done.

Looks on the counter - Ok, here's a NICE side benefit! The Chemex is like a beautiful art glass sculpture. It looks WAY better than that ugly, clunky, looking device that we used to have. Plus, it takes up about 1/2 the room on the counter! So, we have more space now ;) And, we didn't have to sacrifice quantity of coffee. This 10 cup Chemex is precisely the amount our old clunker made.

Bottom line - Never knew what we were missing. AWESOME coffee, even using cheap brands, every time! The aroma that fills the air in the home when we brew is amazing. Love the smell! AWESOME looks in the kitchen! NO MORE "vinegar clean out, stinking up the house - finally self-destructs" coffee makers! This baby, taken care of and not dropped or thrown across the room, should last a lifetime! This means NO MORE spending 80-100 bucks every couple of years on ugly mechanical, mad scientist, POS devices. Talk about saving $$$!!! Is it worth the upfront costs, and spending 5 more mins to make coffee, and feeding the maker as opposed to automatically doing it for you? Um..... YES! Totally worth this minor, manual, labor and costs in my opinion. I can't tell you what a great feeling it was to toss that 100 buck, mechanical, coffee maker wannabe POS into the recycling bin! My joy was palpable :)

A side note - This is making coffee like most people living today have little experience with. You've likely never experienced coffee made like this ever in your life, nor know anyone who has. I know we hadn't, and didn't! Therefore, the process IS different and it DOES take some getting used to. This is why I waited nearly 2 months to write this review. Give it time... get used to the process... follow the directions they provide, and you'll likely never go back to an electric maker again. It is well worth the benefits we believe and whats more is, at least for us, the manual process seems to lend itself to a more "personal" and "creative" experience with the coffee making process. I know that sounds strange, but for us it's more like we're "creating" a wonderful coffee to enjoy. Like a painter with their brush. The Chemex is a tool, and a beautiful one, but the "artwork" you create with it is up to you ;) Enjoy.

Hope this review helps! Also, thanks to all the others who have left reviews! You helped us to make our decision! Glad we did!
439 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on August 25, 2017
I must have almost 10 ways of making coffee in my apartment: Aeropress, v60, calita wave, french press, moka pot, keurig (never used), various drip machines...I figure I could even just throw some beans in boiling water and see what happens as well. I bought the chemex recently and it quickly became the go-to standard for my morning brews. It is foolproof, almost impossible to mess up at any stage: Boil water, grind beans, pour water over beans repeatedly until coffee is formed. You could argue there is more technique than that, but at its core the Chemex is built on an extremely simple concept.

As far as taste, Chemex falls just below Calita wave for me and a slight bit above v60 (to me these three are the only ones that make a comparable brew). Calita Wave coffee is by far the smoothest, but takes more effort to use due to the smaller brew chamber, and I mostly reserve it for an afternoon pick-me-up. Chemex is smoother than a v60, IMO, but the two are overall fairly similar. The v60 is more suited for an office or if you want a single cup, rather than a whole carafe-full, as it is more modular and transportable.

If I were to just keep one coffee method it would be the Chemex, it fits the bill for the broadest class of uses and excels in each of them equally. I have confidence in the build quality, as well, the glass feels thick and unlikely to chip or break barring any unforeseen circumstances. If you are in need of a manual brewing coffee method in your life, look no further than the Chemex.
32 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 11, 2015
I assumed the Chemex was probably going to be gimmicky and too much work compared to my Keurig Vue but I was very pleasantly surprised. While it does take a fair amount more effort to produce than my other pod base coffee maker, the difference in quality is stunning. After some trial and error, I wouldn't recommend using standard filters with the Chemex but instead stay with the thicker proprietary Chemex brand filters.
review image
119 people found this helpful
on September 13, 2017
This is how I realize that I live a life of privilege. I was cleaning my Chemex and I dropped it. I think I've had that Chemex for nearly 30 years. It isn't the only way that I make coffee, but it is the best. So when I dropped it, I considered what it would be like to not replace it… for nearly 30 seconds. Thank you Amazon Prime.

Update: My previous Chemex was about 30 years old. The new one, which works just as well, is made from much thinner glass. I don't know what that means in terms of longevity and durability. It makes coffee just as well, and looks just as pretty. Time will tell.
13 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 29, 2017
TL;DR - buy this if you love great coffee

The background:
I want my brew result to be smooth, and full of all the deep flavor subtleties that great coffee is all about. The kind of brew for which I WANT to spend a months salary on an espresso machine, but alas, my priorities have kept that on hold. I've gone as far as I can with a great burr grinder, great beans, and a good deal of effort with various brewing implements. I'm well versed in making on-the-fly / cup by cup adjustments in the grind/ratio/heat/time equations for AeroPress, a few sizes of MokaPots including a couple Brikka, a few French press, the Vietnamese drip, Automatic drips (basket and cone types), blah blah blah with acceptable if not high levels of success.

With each, I've achieved that "This is as good, but I want a little better" plateau. None of these come close to a true $$$$$$ espresso machine of course. For the cost, the closest would be the Brikka for the creama that's possible.

I say all of that, to say this:
The maiden voyage with my brand new Chemex 10-Cup Classic, the round white folded filter, a grind that I normally use for my Brikka, and a pour over of 208° distilled water, has resulted in a brew that is nothing less than everything I ever wanted my cup of coffee to be. Hands down, the best brew ever.

THIS brews the kind of coffee that'll have you BOTH forgetting the job for 10 minutes of pure bliss and leave smile on your face going back to it.

I've read other reviews. If this breaks for some reason, I'll buy another. Goodness sakes it's not titanium folks, it's borosilicate glass. The whole reason I even considered buying one was the reservoir of my $50 automatic drip fractured when moving. These things aren't BIFL. They're for someone who's ready to craft a cup of coffee with an elegantly simple tool.

Towards that end, this is The One.

Now, I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.
11 people found this helpful
on September 30, 2015
I use the Chemex for a perfect iced coffee. So simple and deliciously clean tasting. I love it!

-I grind fresh beans very fine. (A coarser grind makes a lighter, weaker tasting coffee. Not to my liking.)
-Place a genuine Chemex filter inside and swirl some of the hot water around the filter, allow to drip through and then pour out. This removes some of the brown paper taste and warms the carafe.
-Dump freshly ground coffee beans into filter. Allow kettle to boil and settle down a bit. Swirl and pour hot water over coffee, allow to drip and repeat until filled. The 6 cup point is right at the bottom of the wood collar.
-Cover. I use a Charles Viancin pumpkin silicone cover (4 inch size). The Chemex glass cover doesn't make sense to me. It's round and doesn't extend to the spout area. The silicone cover has a rippled edge and pushing it down slightly, it gets right into the spout. See my pics.
-Cool down a bit and then place into fridge. Chill overnight.

In the morning, I pour it over a glass of ice and it's so tasty! Makes a gorgeous hot coffee maker for dinner parties, too.
I recently watched the original Rosemary's Baby and they were using one. Hasn't changed a bit!
review imagereview image
55 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on April 17, 2009
Note: I got the 8 cup version

I've been through a lot of coffee makers, and hated them all till now.

My biggest issue has always been cleanup! I'd leave coffee-grounds in, be too lazy to clean it up later, get mold growing in the coffee maker's reservoir, and on and on.

The Chemex solves all these problems AND makes a stunning cup of coffee. Making the coffee takes a bit longer, as you basically have to spend about 5 minutes or so watching and pouring... however, it's fun to do! I actually look forward to the task. You find yourself making fine adjustments to your coffee making methods every day, just to see the differences you can make.

Cleanup is where you make up for the 5 minutes of pour time... Takes about 15 seconds... Drop the filter in the garbage, rinse the chemex out, put it back on the shelf. If you use hot water to rinse, it dries instantly... No small parts, no reservoirs that remain damp 24/7 collecting fungus, no series of tubes and tunnels that can never be cleaned. And the coffee is as perfect as you make it.

I'll never use another coffee maker.

Note, I also purchased the lid and stove grid. Helps a lot... I brew 8 cups of coffee in the morning, put it on the stove with the mesh, turn my range to low-medium, and put the lid on. Keeps my 8 cups hot all day.

Update: Well, I've had this coffee maker for about 8 months now, and I'm still loving it.
Update: Well, I've had this coffee maker for over 3 years now, and I'm STILL loving it. Works as well as it did the day I got it.
Update: Well, I've had this coffee maker for over 5 years now, still loving it, and still my only coffee maker.
Update: It's past 6 years now, still my only coffee maker and still loving it. Just ordered some filters :) - Kind of got into the spirit of my coffee making this last year and bought me a manual burr grinder to go with it and started purchasing beans directly from my local roasters. Kind of like the idea that I could take some beans, a pot, my chimex and my new manual grinder out camping and still brew one hell of a cup sans electricity. It amuses me to no end that such a simple brewer could do so well. I wish my phone/computer tech had this kind of staying power!
1,525 people found this helpful
|1717 comments|Report abuse
on August 20, 2016
I learned what a Chemex Coffee Brewer is through my favorite local coffee shop in Orlando, Vespr. After seeing my love for pour-over coffee, they insisted I tried the Chemex. I fell in love and decided to purchase it. They suggested Amazon for "cheaper" prices. I've had this product for about two weeks now and it's incredible. The smoothest coffee I've brewed is with a Chemex brewer and it's awesome paper filter. Not only is it smooth, you get no coffee grinds in it and the coffee's genuine taste. You can distictively taste the Region where it is from (Of course if you know about coffee beans and their regions; Be sure to buy fresh coffee beans!). It comes off a bit less bitter than the regular pour-over, but believe me it keeps it's coffee taste! If you are a coffee aficionado, you will love the Chemex. Now, the Chemex has joined my home collection of brewers and it's probably my favorite way of brewing coffee.
Footnote: I usually have my coffee without cream, sugar or milk... Unless it's espresso coffee.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
35 people found this helpful
on September 30, 2017
I have two Chemex coffeemakers, the other being a 1-3 cup handblown model with the classic wood collar and tie. That one is a beautiful object, but I find myself using this larger one more frequently, even though I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. For one thing, the wood collar gets just hot enough to make the pouring process uncomfortable without using a paper or dish towel. The glass handle, which stays cool, takes care of this problem. I strongly recommend using a good stainless steel filter instead of the Chemex paper filters (I have the "coffee filter for Chemex" - currently unavailable on Amazon). Handled properly, the re-usable steel filter gives a cleaner tasting brew than the paper ones (though Melitta's bamboo filters are very good and don't have that papery taste). If you want a more densely flavored coffee, put a Melitta #4 bamboo filter inside the metal filter). Keep in mind that the 8-cup Chemex (40 oz) will fill only about 4 good-sized mugs of coffee. It's is super-easy to clean (as is the steel filter). You can keep the brewed coffee warm on very low stovetop heat and having the Able Brewing White Heat Lid helps retain heat and flavor (it's better than the glass lid sold by Chemex).
5 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2017
Let me tell you something. If you really, really love coffe and you are committed to follow the parameters; using fresh coffee, weight it, grind it and take the time to do the ritual in the way to achieve a great and absolute delicious cup of coffee, buy this.

It arrived today and I just made my first Chemex coffee, I've been using French press and kalita wave to brew coffee, and despite I know Chemex take more technique, my first cup of coffee was amazingly good. You can taste the difference that the chemex filters give you, very clean, crisp and sweet.

I don't know why it take me so long to try this beauty.
review image