Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

I was disappointed. I purchased it for my daughter who is an undergraduate in pre-vet. Since her background is in art, we thought this book might help her make the transition to a science major, but it turned out to be way below the level that she needs. It was kind of interesting, but not very useful.

For a high school student it would probably be very helpful, and if the ad had not clearly stated that it is a suitable primer for college level chemistry, I would consider it at least a four star item. However, we wouldn't have purchased it if the ad had indicated how basic it is and we found it to be unsatisfactory for her needs.

As it is, I will read it for myself and probably expand my horizons a bit. My daughter certainly will not be benefiting from this book. I wish the ad had been more accurate about the academic level this is aimed at.
24 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on April 18, 2014
In college and medical school I studied lots of chemistry but that was in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and I was curious about current chemistry concepts. This little book's presentation was logical, grouped topics were treated rather briefly and it would be excellent for what it's touted for--an introduction to general chemistry. I felt like a sneaky old guy, but thoroughly enjoyed it.
6 people found this helpful
on June 9, 2014
As a chemistry educator working with college and some high school students, this is a great way to start off in the world of CHEMISTRY! I recommend this book to anyone who will be taking a chemistry class, as I recommend my students to read this book as well. Concepts are presented in basic understandable terms, which allow you to get a basic grasp on the subject before the heavy stuff begins to pop up in your actual course. This means when you start doing calculations and problems it is not the fist time you have encountered the material. Real world examples are also done very well. MUST READ FOR STUDENTS AND CHEMISTRY EDUCATORS!
One person found this helpful
on July 25, 2014
I was hoping for more content that would help me get through to students who don't love chemistry, who fear and dread the math, are horrified by constants and ratios, and are fearful and skeptical of homework. Some of that material is in this book, but not enough for me to justify the purchase. The advice is good. Use a scientific calculator, learn scientific notation, use the periodic table as a resource, attempt all of your homework. These things are great but not enough to get students going.
One person found this helpful
on February 9, 2017
My grandson asked for some help with his chemistry and I needed a little refresher in order to assist him. Did the job for me.
on December 4, 2015
This book has its moments, I don't love it, but I do use it as a reference when I'm trying to figure out a better way to explain a difficult topic.
on September 2, 2014
After reading other reviews, I wasn't sure if I should purchase this book for my child who is taking chemistry for the first time. I did read quite a bit of the book and I'm glad I did buy it as I'm sure it will help her understand some of the concepts the teacher may not explain clearly. The book arrived before the expected delivery date.
on November 13, 2016
Easy to understand, still reading it. Thanks!
on November 7, 2017
Good product.
on April 5, 2014
An excellent book which I just couldn't put down. The highlight was the way the concept of mole is explained. Could the author write something more on the basics of valency and chemical reactions including the balancing of equations or suggest some real good book for a beginner in 6tj grade!! The topic on bonds was a little sketchy. Considering the big picture ( in the author's) parlance a beautiful wonderful basics book.