Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cherries and Cherry Pits
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

94%
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 17, 1997
As a teenager not many of my friends like children's books, but I have and always will have a profound affection for them. "Cherries and Cherry Pits" continues to be a favorite of mine- your minds eye can relish on the fresh, colorful drawings whilst you read of the simple pleasures derived from a yummy little fruit. This book always leaves me with a little dance in my step, an artistic itch in my fingers and a mouth watering for cherries
on October 28, 2005
I have loved Cherries and Cherry Pits for as long as I can remember. I love how this story tells the story of three different chaacters lives and the lives of their friends and family. I remember it being read me when I was in kindergarten. I love everything about the book down to the hand drawn pictures that depict how many children draw at that age. I still have my original copy of the book and will keep it forever.
on July 14, 2016
I bought this book as a gift. I have read this book to several children. It promotes a child's imagination. It lets kids know everyone is unique and special and talented! The little girl in the story is not from a small town in Texas and the kids to whom I read this book can get a glimpse of a life different than their own. This little girl lives someplace where there are stoops instead of front porches and subways instead of buses. But still this little girl is a lot like the kids to whom I read the book!
on August 24, 2008
Let me say, before we start out, that this is a wordy book. It's definitely more suited for the older end of the 4-8 crowd.

This is a story of a young artist. She draws three pictures of three people, and tells the stories of how they eat cherries on three occasions.

Then she finally tells her own story, and her own plan, about how she intends to save the pits from her own cherries and plant them, until there is a "forest of cherry trees" she can share with the whole world.

Simple, strong story. The young nieces sit for it, and I love it too.
on April 20, 2010
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I originally purchased it at my elementary school's book fair. During the course of the years, moving, etc., it was lost. I began looking for it online and located it on Amazon. I absolutely love this book and am glad I was able to find it.
on January 8, 2014
Beautiful and inspiring in every way: an engaging story that honors children's abilities to make positive change, poetic text, vibrant illustrations. It is a little more wordy than many books aimed at a similar age-group, so be forewarned if you have a very young child, but it also would be appropriate for older children (like 9 or 10 year olds).
on July 29, 2009
As an adult, I've slowly been re-collecting my favorite books from childhood, and this book was at the top of my list of "must-haves". Vera B. Williams' illustrations, a combination of watercolor (for narrated parts of Bidemmi's life) and marker (for the stories Bidemmi draws and tells us), are incredibly vibrant and beautiful - kids can read this book and be inspired not only to draw like Bidemmi does, but also to tell stories in her style, which is very much the way a child might narrate their own picture story. The text is also wonderful, full of stories about cherries and all the people who love to buy and eat them. I suggest you or your kids have some cherries on hand before you read this book, because you'll be craving fruit by the end!
on February 12, 2010
This book has such charm and positivity, it's no wonder that my kids ask for it again and again. In this engaging story a girl draws on paper and her imagination to link together different characters through their common love of eating cherries. The book gently reminds us to be wary of cherry pits and also encourages us to think beyond ourselves. We're invited to imagine the home lives of other people and reminds us how good sharing can feel.
on April 17, 2014
I read this book to my children when we lived in Brooklyn in the 1980's before gentrification. I loved, then and love now, the way the author illustrator evokes the dreams and hopes of life and the preciousness of the little things. Of course, the artwork is magical and the rhythmic repeat of "eating the cherries and spitting out the pits" stays with you...Now a 2nd generation loves the book
on March 23, 2015
I discovered this book in my school library in 2nd grade and it immediately soared to the top of my fave picture books. I'm ordering it today as a present to my daughter, who will arrive in a few months. It's a creative and charming book about little kids with big ideas about the world they live in.