Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 101 reviews
on April 15, 2013
Features that make "Chess Tactics for Champions" superior to other tactics books:
1. Only 3 puzzles per page; allowing ample space to take notes in the margins
2. No hints (just text like "white to move"), making the puzzles more realistic and challenging (although they are grouped by theme)
3. Large quantity of puzzles, with more puzzles on the more common tactics (forks/double attacks, pins and discovered attacks)
4. Nice, but brief, explanations of each tactic with several good examples
5. No errors that I've found

Downsides to this book:
1. Too many combinations that involve a queen sacrifice. This is just not that common at the amateur level.
2. For the absolute beginner, these puzzles might be too difficult

This book is a terrific second tactics book. If you are new to chess, tactics is the most important thing you can study. But you need the right learning materials to get started. I recommend GM Yassir Seirawan's "Winning Chess Tactics". After reading that you will be ready to take on the more challenging puzzles you will find in "Chess Tactics for Champions". Also good is NM Dan Heisman's book "Back to Basics: Tactics" which has a difficulty level somewhere in between these two books. Good luck!
on May 28, 2015
My son's chess coach (a USCF CM) recommended this book so we bought it. the boy went over the first section (1-16) twice in 6 weeks. his rating was 1100 before reading this book. after going over 1-16 for the first time (took about 4 weeks), he drew with a 1250 and a 1500 (both in G30); half way through going over it for the second time, he won against a 1250 (not the same one) and a 1400 (G60); after finishing going over 1-16 for the second time, he won against a 1600 (G60). He is also taking weekly one-on-one lessons. His coach and him both give high credit to this book for his recent progress.
on May 16, 2017
Amazing book.
on November 25, 2013
This is a fun presentation of beginning to intermediate chess problems. They are presented with an introduction for each section by the author showing an example of the theme from one of her games. These are presented in an easy to read format with a nice description of the correct answer at the back of each chapter.There are a few typos where the problem is stated for the wrong color, but not that many. The cover material is pretty much ruined by the time you complete the book. It curls up a bit too much for my liking. Overall a fine book for fun problem solving.
on February 12, 2016
this is an interesting book that is used for beginning andintermediate player. Also players will improve tactics while playing against
The players can study without coach.
on May 17, 2007
I like this book because it show many types of tactical themes which we usually meet over the chessboard. Even more important is that this books give hundreds of exercise for you to practice. Some book on tactics or similar features books called " how to attact, how to sacrifice etc ", they just choosed games from grandmasters for illustration and neglecting to give exercises. ( or even have, just a few ). This is not helpful. To improve one' standard, you have to work hard. After finishing reading this book, I would recommnend to read John Nunn's " Learn chess tactics" which the presentations are similat, but the exercises are more difficult.
on August 3, 2014
Very well organized, structured volume on tactical thinking. The presentation of material is designed to build on the prior material presented. I am only an advanced beginner (maybe around 800-900) and found this book to be pleasant to use.
on September 9, 2015
For intermediate players, not beginners or masters.

The approach is different from every other book on chess I've seen. We're introduced to a topic - forks, for example, or "the back-rank problem" - and then given from 25 to 50 challenges - pieces set up in the middle of a game - and tasked to come up with the right next move. An example is attached: White to mate in 4 moves.

These little mental challenges (which, so depressing, I too often fail) make my brain feel like it's just spent a few minutes on the mat with an Olympic wrestler.

I LOVE this book. Can see now I've never had ANY idea what I was doing all my life when playing chess. (Sometime have me tell you what happened when I played, in 1976, the 1975 All Services chess champion. Hint: it wasn't pretty, and it was very quick.) One thing I clearly see now is that I used to play a foolish game of trapping pieces, of defense, instead of aggressively looking for checkmates through skewers, pins, etc.

This book opened my eyes to how chess can be played at a higher level. It breaks the game down so that strategies can be studied and practiced. Not mastered; very few of us will ever be able to say that. But, without a doubt, improved.
review image
on April 23, 2013
For an occasional tournament player, like me, this book is a gem. Tactics are among the first that weaken if you dont play often enough and in case you dont analyse your own games later with an engine to find missed opportunities. This book will help sharpen those blunt edges. Nice format helps in realizing what you are studying. I go around the chapters a day before the tournament, solving a couple of puzzles from each section. Since starting this book my rating has improved by more than 100 points. So definitely a good buy for practicing tactics.
on December 13, 2013
I recommend this book to my students who are in the 1000-1500 range. The puzzles are not too tough, but they are certainly difficult enough to challenge people in that rating range. I also ask my students to go through the entire book several times. Each time through they start recognizing new patterns, and I notice much improved use of tactics in their games.