About the Product
- Chess teacher, mentor, and ultimate opponent with intuitive user interface
- Chessmaster Academy teaches the basics, plus a variety of simple strategies
- Animated chess sets; whimsical 3D sets; simple and efficient learning tools
- Full-featured online chess module; comprehensive chess engine
- Intermediate and advanced player options; for ages 6 and older
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
- The new Chessmaster Academy: At the Academy, International Master Josh Waitzkin will personally walk players through the basics of chess, plus introduce a variety of simple strategies for dominating your opponent. The Academy also features the best attacking moves as taught by noted chess champion, Larry Christiansen.
- A totally revised interface: clean, clear, and easy to navigate, this all-new interface represents the biggest upgrade to the look and feel of Chessmaster in over seven years.
- Full-featured online chess module: more than just a place to play chess live with other players, Chessmaster online allows players to establish rankings, create tournaments, utilize teaching tools, and join a thriving chess community.
- More fun for the whole family: Features such as animated chess sets, a variety of whimsical 3D sets, and simple and efficient learning tools, makes chess more fun than ever. Younger players and chess beginners will appreciate the specialized section just for them. As players improve, the game suggests an appropriate AI opponent.
- A comprehensive chess engine: wise enough to teach an absolute beginner and powerful enough to defeat a grandmaster, experience the all-new edition of the King engine--the brains behind the best-selling brand in chess.
- Intermediate and advanced player options: seasoned chess players can test their skills against ranked AI opponents, set up tournaments and simultaneous exhibitions, and survey their performances using the new statistics system.
Top Customer Reviews
I am a regular chess tournament player, and familiar with CM7000. Before reading my review, understand that it comes from a player who regular uses computers to analyze games for tactical errors, store/analyze games from book collections, and competes regularly in USCF tournaments at a 1600 level.
CM10th seems to have more streamlined graphics from prior versions, and a smoother overall feel. I've run into 1-2 hiccups when running CM with other programs, but it generally feels very stable.
The best part of CM 10th are the tutorials, hands down. Waitzkin's writing is perfect for both beginners and intermediate players, and the CM interface with its arrows and colored squares truly shines with him at the helm. Larry Christiansen's games are also excellent, but the great depth of his analysis is a bit harder to follow as he goes through the various lines in real time. It seems from other readers that CM9000 replicates most of these tutorials - if so, unfortunately the main reason for buying CM10th may not be sufficiently compelling. However, for those who haven't worked with these tutorials, they singlehandedly justify purchasing CM 10th - even with no other features, I could wholeheartedly recommend purchasing the software just for these lectures.
Another huge plus where CM10th excels is in the "play" department, which makes it most suitable for those who just want to play lots of games. CM's interface makes it a breeze to pick up and play rated opponents, which do get progressively more difficult as their rating climbs.Read more ›
When I heard Chessmaster was getting a facelift for the 10th edition, I was hoping this issue would finally get addressed. Well, it hasn't. In fact it's gotten worse: I've had the program for a week and a half and I haven't been able to play a single game online. All my other online games, including other chess programs like Fritz, work just fine. We were told there would be a patch, and there was, but it failed to fix the problems. Now, supposedly, there will be another at some point in the future.
And to make matters worse, the thing Chessmaster always did RIGHT - create a stable and user-friendly digital atmosphere in which to play and study chess - has been bungled by the new design team. The functional 2-D sets, preferred by serious players because they're easier to analyze, have been all but eliminated in favor of flashy 3-D animated ones that look like Disney-fied versions of the old Battle Chess DOS app. The analysis and database features aren't as deep as previous versions. And the whole design is weighed down by cheap, pointless gimmicks - there's a "stereo 3D mode" and the program comes packed with a set of red/blue 3D glasses. Why does a chess program need that? It doesn't.
The program looks nice (assuming your system is near state-of-the-art; be warned that this program uses a TON of processor power) and the Josh Waitzkin tutorials - long a hight point - have been expanded. Those additions are welcome.Read more ›
This is because they have DISABLED them. Well, gosh, thanks a lot! My laptop ONLY COMES with a CDRW drive! PLUS, even if I could install the game, I have to have the game CD in the drive at all times. Which means it will be spinning my CD all the time, sucking down my battery in far less than an hour.
So I want to buy this so I can play it while I'm out and about, waiting for meetings or just at the park....and I can't. AND even if I COULD, the CD will have to be up and spinning?
This is unacceptable! Tell me, how many laptops come with only straight CD or JUST strait DVD drives now? I don't know of any.
I say tell them to KEEP thier stupid program. This company doesn't own every single good chess programmer in the world. There are plenty of other companies that make good products. Buy one from any of them.
If you can't play the game you purchased where and whenever you want--Then Tell Chessmaster to shove thier product. They are not serving you. So don't serve THEM.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I have used this software in the past. The tutorials by Josh Waitzkin are worth the price alone... even to the point of buying a dedicated machine to run the software which is... Read morePublished 5 months ago by bbneo
ChessMaster 10th Edition does not work well or not at all on Windows 8 and 10. ChessMaster 10 is a good program but I can not get it to work on Vista, Windows 8 or 10.Published 9 months ago by James Jones
If you downloaded windows 10 from Microsoft I don't recommend this game. I tried to install twice and my computer said "Incompatible Software". Read morePublished 10 months ago by Tony J. Coulter
I was a beginner, I don't know how to play chess. So, I learned how to play chess from this CD. While I was gradually improved my skill and play in the higher levels. Read morePublished 14 months ago by ArcoCinema
Chessmaster 10th Ed. is the most amazing and wonderful chess program you can find anywhere. Although it was written for Windows XP, it still works with Windows 8; however, since... Read morePublished 14 months ago by Mr. G.