Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on January 15, 2012
I've owned ChessMaster 9000 for several years now. It's the version I use the most even though I also own the newer ChessMaster GrandMaster Edition.

ChessMaster 9000 has a simpler (better) interface than GrandMaster Edition. It's also more stable. I can have the computer analyze a position for hours and hours on end with no problems. I can't do that with the newer GrandMaster Edition as it has a bug that causes the program to crash on long-term analyses.

ChessMaster 9000 also runs better on older slower hardware. When playing back games that have computer-based analysis applied, ChessMaster 9000 does an excellent job of keeping piece movements in sync with the voiceover commentary. Not so with the GrandMaster Edition (on older hardware).

The GrandMaster Edition does have considerably more tutorials and doesn't require periodic (every 12 days) re-insertion of the original CD in order to keep running. But if you can live with the occasional need to re-insert the CD and don't need extensive tutorials, ChessMaster 9000 is the version to own.
on February 4, 2015
Except for having to insert the disk peridically to verify ownership, it's the best chess program around for players at every level . It has expert grandmaster games with comments and instruction programs by gandmaster Josh Waitkins . You can also play against players at every level from novice to grandmasters, programmed on the disk. It is also very simple to install and use. Too bad it's out of production and you can only buy previously used disks.(although in very good condition)
Menachem
on February 27, 2015
Get "Chessmaster 10th Edition" used instead. I have both.

CM 10th E has better tutorials (yes, Josh is in it), visuals, and there are 3rd-party add-ons (different boards, chess sets, etc) all over the internet.

BTW: Don't waste your money on CM11 (Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition) unless you can find it for less than $40.
It has very little that CM10 does not. More stuff from Josh, but that is about it.
on February 19, 2011
I read some reviews before ordering it with a grain of salt. But boy, I do not know what all the fuss is all about. The software installed with no glitch onto my Windows 7 system and I selected the option to dump all multimedia and chess libraries on my 40G hard drive. Now I run it without the DvDs in the drive. It works like a champ! My kids love it!
My suggestion? If it is offered by any seller for less than $15, buy it in a heart beat! Unbelievable value. Very little risk at that price.
on March 26, 2007
I am happy with this purchase. I am an amatuer player. I was looking for a replacement for the playstation game I was using. This one made sense for the price; it actually exceded my expectations. It taught me basic principals of the game that I was ignorant of. A couple of the features I like are 1) the "historical games" feature which plays out games from hundreds of years ago to modern matches and 2) the "tutor mode" which recommends moves during a game.

Good for amatuers and to pass time. I probably will never be able to speak for advanced players.
on June 6, 2007
Wow! There are so many features, tutorials, help, classes, games etc... The skill levels vary widely so that anyone can use this tool to get better. I am very impressed with how detailed and helpful the tutorials are. There are literally hundreds of hours of play time here!

The only con is that when I first installed the game there were several bugs, including one that only let me play the Chessmaster no matter who I wanted to play. As soon as you get the game installed, be sure to update to the newest patch.
on January 31, 2017
This game would install in windows 10. so I will not never know how well it actually is ?
on July 1, 2006
The finally got their act together. I originally used version 5500 with good results. Then I tried a version between 5500 and 9000 and it was dismal. They subscribed to the software philosophy of switching features instead of adding features. This version 9000 has all of the features with none left out. They finally got their act together.

There is one problem. On my XP SP2 computer every 50 times I shut down the program the computer hangs up and I have to hold the power button down until the computer shuts down. Then I restart the computer. It is best to run this program when no other programs are running.
on June 26, 2007
I am a total novice at chess at the age of 60. I am having so much fun learning this game that had always intimidated me. To top it off I even win on occasion.
Chessmaster 9000 helps build your skill levels and provides a variety of opponents - all in an attractive interface. Because Chessmaster 10 is now out the prices on this version are so reasonable it would be foolish to pass it up
on September 13, 2016
Great chess program!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.