Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Shop Now STEM

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,846 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,274 reviews
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2015
This is one of my wife's favorite books to read to our two girls (they love it too). The only copy we had was in a big anthology of children's stories, so I purchased this copy to have a version that's a bit easier to read, and I'm so glad I did.

Some of the board books we've purchased in the past have turned out to be abridged versions of the book, and I was concerned this one would be too (especially for less than $5) since one other reviewer mentioned she'd seen an abridged version of the board book. The one we got from amazon, though, is the full book.

Our anthology has two two-page spreads on each page, which is great for fitting a lot of kids' stories into one book, but somewhat reduces the visual impact of the book. The board book, though, features color illustrations that go right to the edge of the page. I was surprised to see how much more impactful the illustrations are when presented this way.
on August 21, 2016
I ordered this book for my son who is just turning 2 years old. He loves reading books but is still at an age where he would tear the paper pages up. The board books are awesome. We love this one. This was actually one that was read to me as I was a child and was one of my favorite books. I was glad to be able to get it for him and hopefully make it one of his favorites too. The story itself is great, the colors are vibrant, it was made well with quality materials, and I expect it to last a long time, even with my destructive son.
on August 8, 2015
I work with preschool age children and this book is in almost every Pre-K room I visit. It's a fun introduction to the alphabet in my opinion. The pages are colorful without too much to look at on each page. You do have to read this story with some sort of inflection and excitement or else it will lose some of the charm of the story. I bought this book for my niece who is going to be turning 2. Her mom is a big book person, so i thought this would be a good addition to their growing library of children's books. The book arrived quickly and in good condition. it is a true board book with durable pages. I think it would be very difficult for a child to destroy this, short of maybe sticking it in water for an extended period of time. I do recommend to anyone thinking of buying this.
on October 12, 2015
Let's be clear- I personally do not love this book. I personally am so and totally beyond over this book. I personally don't understand why anyone's writing about the alphabet in a coconut tree. I personally am a bit concerned that all of these little ones are running free up a coconut tree with no supervision. I personally think "a" has a bit of an attitude. But my 2.5 year old LOVES it. Beyond loves it; we have TWO copies of this book. I have one in my room on her shelf and she has one she's loved to destruction in her bedroom. She can kinda "read" it- she can tell you the entire story even if it's not in front of her. And she loves that all of the letters are in the back. I'm fairly sure I can thank this book for the fact that she knows her upper case and lower case letters. Every bedtime ends with this story ( I don't even read it anymore- I have it memorized.) There are no fights when the lights go off because the sun goes down on the coconut tree.
on September 21, 2016
My 3 month old is captivated! I'm not sure if she's making the connection to the letters, words, or the fact that I'm reading it, but she scans every page! The board book is sturdy and easy to handle, so I let my girl hold it and play with the pages as well.
review image
on August 8, 2013
Super cute verbiage in this book, we got the board book so my son won't destroy it. Now while I do like this book, and it's fun to read I was a bit frustrated with a couple aspects. They aren't frustrating enough return it, but for the sake of the review I'll mention them so others can be aware.
First issue is lack of uppercase letters (UC); I thought the UC letters are supposed to come help the lowercase(LC) letters after they fall from the coconut tree? There is only one page with a couple big and little ones. The rest of the story continues with just the LC letters leaving the pile a couple at a time, no more mention of the UC letters. So there's no teaching of both UC and LC, till the last page where all the alphabet is listed Aa Bb Cc Dd etc. Not that this is a huge problem but is the full size book more thorough? Such a disappointment. Especially when I'm teaching my daughter mainly uppercase letters (E for elephant, not 'e' for elephant), while that our primary teaching I was hoping this book would help tie them together. Also, in the text it is written with UC, but the graphic is LC. This isn't too big an issue for us because my daughter is almost 3 and I'm using it as a teaching concept, but it still involves lots of verbal explaining rather visual examples. I think that the story could have easily been spread through a couple pages to include the UC letters helping the LC ones and easily replacing the end of the story (sun going down, moon coming up and 'a' getting into mischief again etc)
Second is the actual text/story line. The first half of climbing up the tree is very cute, catchy and has a bit of a story, then with 'l m n o p' and on till the end it's just rushed "and q r s, and t u v .... and x y z" Really? Such detail everywhere else in the narration.
Overall, cute book, my almost 3yo really likes it and even starts telling the story back to me or to her younger brother, on the other hand, he doesn't care for it at all and he's 10mon's. I can barely get through 3 pages and hes scooted off. I will say the stupid (not literally) singsong rhyming verse gets stuck in my head, which is probably also my fault because I get really animated with books for the kids so it sounds like a song and round and round it goes.........
on March 25, 2017
Man this book is catchy. Not sure my daughter loves it yet (she's young), but I really enjoy reading it. The illustrations, while simple, are clever and fun. It's very sing-songy. One of my go to bedtime books. I caught myself reciting it in my head at work the other day!
on January 23, 2016
I gave this book to my nephew as a birthday present. It was one of his favorite gifts from that day and he asks to read it every night. Under the age of two he memorize the entire book and sings it in the car. This book inspired me to buy books for every present I give him.
on January 9, 2015
This is a classic from my childhood and now my daughter absolutely adores this book. She loves anything with a rhyme, specially if it's a silly one. We use coconut shampoo in her hair and she has Styrofoam bath letters that she puts on top of her head because of this book.
on March 6, 2017
Great children's book, my kids love it. I love how it's smaller than the standard book and the pages are very tough- my two toddlers have yet to destroy it :)