Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by NERD PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 12, 2015
Let's be clear- I personally do not love this book. I personally am so and totally beyond over this book. I personally don't understand why anyone's writing about the alphabet in a coconut tree. I personally am a bit concerned that all of these little ones are running free up a coconut tree with no supervision. I personally think "a" has a bit of an attitude. But my 2.5 year old LOVES it. Beyond loves it; we have TWO copies of this book. I have one in my room on her shelf and she has one she's loved to destruction in her bedroom. She can kinda "read" it- she can tell you the entire story even if it's not in front of her. And she loves that all of the letters are in the back. I'm fairly sure I can thank this book for the fact that she knows her upper case and lower case letters. Every bedtime ends with this story ( I don't even read it anymore- I have it memorized.) There are no fights when the lights go off because the sun goes down on the coconut tree.
0Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 21, 2016
My 3 month old is captivated! I'm not sure if she's making the connection to the letters, words, or the fact that I'm reading it, but she scans every page! The board book is sturdy and easy to handle, so I let my girl hold it and play with the pages as well.
review image
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 30, 2015
I first heard of this book when a mom was reading to her child out loud. My husband and I thought, what a weird book about coconut trees and alphabets. We thought she made it up.

Enter baby and when we shopped for books this was a bestseller. We bought it and couldn't believe that was the story the mom recited! To my surprise, it was the only book that held my newborns attention. To this day -- now 6 months -- she is still captivated by the book images and rhythm. Favorite book for baby!
review image
0Comment| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 15, 2016
Before you buy it, try to read a copy of the text and get a feel for it first.

I think I just don't get the appeal of this book, or maybe I'm not reading it with the right inflection. People love this book, including our baby sitter. I just don't.

It kinda outlines a disaster type scenario in a lighthearted way, that is really superficial (the coconut tree falls down with all the little children/alphabet letters in it and everyone is a little banged up). But it doesn't really present this in a way that's Mr. Roger's like ("look for the helpers"), it just focuses on how banged up all the kids are.

Also, I really hate the ending, where it basically starts all over again because the letter "a" is being "that kid" who dares the other kids to do stupid stuff. It's very reminiscent of the frustration I get when I read '5 little monkeys jumping on the bed'
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 22, 2017
Aren't youngsters learning to read today SO much younger than most people of my generation ever did? Still amazes me that our grandsons learned their letters with such lightning-fast speed (then again, so many of today's children's shows are educational, as opposed to the simply amusing cartoons we had.) Our 3 year old had already been quite proficient with his ABC's when we gave him this book on his birthday, but we'll get a "2-fer" out of it - a fun reinforcement for him that he'll begin to actually read with, and it'll be waiting in the wings for his 1 year old baby sister (not to mention the newest family addition we recently found out about, due to arrive next May!)

Very simple story in that all of the (lower case) letters are racing to the top of a coconut tree, once they're all up there the tree becomes top-heavy and - "Chicka chicka... BOOM! BOOM!" - bends from the load, they all come tumbling out, incurring normal childhood-type ailments (skinned-knee, stubbed-toe, loose tooth, out of breath, tangled and knotted up, looped, stooped and "twisted alley-oop", etc.) The parents, aunts and uncles (capital letters) come to their aid as the tree trunk straightens back up. BUT... when the full moon comes out that night, "A" sneaks out of bed and - as children will do - double dares them all back up to the top of the tree! The book ends with a 2-page spread of all of the letters, upper and lower case next to each other - a terrific tool to help youngsters recognize both forms, and part of the fun are the rhymes and fun tongue-twister expressions interspersed throughout (i.e. Skit skat skoodle doot/Flip flop flee.) Super cute little book!

You can probably imagine that - having babysat for three of my four grandchildren for 7 years prior to my daughter-in-law becoming a stay-at-home-mom - we have MANY board books included in the large children's library we've built for them over those years - typically, if they're board book versions of a previously released book, they're greatly ABRIDGED versions. I have to say that not only is this one of the highest quality-constructed board books we've purchased, but at 36 pages long (as compared to the hardcover's 40 pages), I think we've actually got most of the entire original book! (Obvious difference would be its size - this is @ 5-1/2" x 7" and a full 3/4" thick, while the hardcover's description lists it as 8.2 x .4 x 10.9.) And what a deal! We purchased this on Amazon for below its imprinted $7.99 US price, and are so pleased with what we received for our dollars - nice, thick pages, bright and eye-catching colors - even our 5-1/2 and 9-1/2 year old grandsons have gotten a kick out of reading this to the little ones!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 9, 2016
As a second-grade teacher, I loved this book so much I made it my classroom's theme and my student's really enjoyed it! As a new mom, I've had so much fun sharing this gem of a story with my son. He has some special needs and many books don't click well with him, but he's enjoyed Chicka Chicka Boom Boom for many, many months! Something about the dynamic colors mixed with rhymey-text so beautiful you can't help but dance to the rhythm helps kiddos of virtually all ages and stages enjoy and connect with this story. To anyone starting a library for their little one, this book is always a great place to start! I personally recommend getting a quality paperback for Mom or Dad and a gently used board book for baby to "follow along" - this is one of those books that tots LOVE to flip the pages and get really involved, and having two copies can make the reading experience even more enjoyable!
on October 10, 2016
This is a HARDY board book. My toddler loves "chicky boom boom boom" at daycare, to the point where I got him his own copy so he'd ease up on the requests to read it at school. He loves the book, and it has put up with so much rough play: it's been dropped down the steps; chewed by a teething baby; had food spilled on it; dropped in a puddle -- yet it is still readable. The pages are extremely thick when compared to typical board books (which is a very, very good thing). The water probably did the most damage, and that only to the corners of the book which are a little whitened. It is a heavy book, so you might want to be careful if you have a toddler who has tantrums where they throw things. The very last page is also just the alphabet in both upper and lowercase letters, which is nice if you have a child just learning the alphabet.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 17, 2016
I was just putting my daughter to bed and read Chicka Chicka boom boom to her. I have read this book to my children numerous times and it's usually a fun treat to do so. This book is rather fun for a parent to read, making it more likely to be in a regular rotation of nighttime stories as the parent is less likely to be terribly bored by it.

My daughter will be turning 4 soon, and I've been telling her how she will be a big girl and we will start preschool instruction. It's exciting for her to have school like her big brother. This book is one of several that explicitly help little children familiarize themselves with the letters, sounds and rhyme. These are important to develop pre-reading skills.

A keeper.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 22, 2016
Such a fun book to read with my 9 month old! She loves turning the pages and it's one of her favorites. It's so creative and cute.
on July 24, 2016
This is one of the greatest children's books of all time. My children love this cute little rhyming tale about all of the letters in the alphabet. We have owned both the board book and the paperback version, and in my experience, by the time that children are able to really enjoy this book, they are able to handle paper page books. My favorite part of this book in the alphabet pages at the beginning and end. This is always a perfect time for me to review the alphabet with my children WHILE pointing to each letter as we sing it. This helps eliminate the confusion of "LMNOP" being one letter! haha