Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,952 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,400 reviews
on January 7, 2005
My 18 month old son loves this book so much that he has me read it to me 3-4 times in a row everytime we pick it up. I myself have a lesson to learn from this book. The lesson provided is to keep getting back up even though you've fallen and that everyone falls sometimes. My son literally cries when the letters come falling down because he can relate. He sniffles at the next page when the mamas and papas come and hug and dust off their babies, and by the time we make it to, "M is looped, N is stooped, O is twisted alley-oop, skit skat skoodle doot, flip flop flee", he is laughing and giggling. And he smiles in the end when the letter 'A' triumphs in a final and sucessful climb in the moon light. The ryhyming and word play are fun and charming. Nowhere have a found anything that takes a child through the emotional trama of failing and then helps them up and out of it, giving them courage to try again (and they learn the alphabet at the same time!). This book belongs on everyone's shelf. I don't care how old you are. It's a life lesson we all need to learn.
on August 26, 2004
As a parent of a two year old boy who loves this story...I read it a lot and never get tired of it. And considering how many times I have been required to read it to him...we always manage to make it fun. So fun, that he has started to "read" pages to himself. I believe he's got the word association thing going for him by now. And his favorite part is to say boom boom....after mommy says chicka chicka. Plus since this is a repeat read story it's easy to recite a repetative part when things get "difficult" in the grocery store or the car and change that "frustration fit" into a memory lesson!! Great story, fun illustrations and the sing song form of this story makes it easy to encorporate the lyrics into daily conversations.
on April 30, 2015
I first heard of this book when a mom was reading to her child out loud. My husband and I thought, what a weird book about coconut trees and alphabets. We thought she made it up.

Enter baby and when we shopped for books this was a bestseller. We bought it and couldn't believe that was the story the mom recited! To my surprise, it was the only book that held my newborns attention. To this day -- now 6 months -- she is still captivated by the book images and rhythm. Favorite book for baby!
review image
on August 21, 2016
I ordered this book for my son who is just turning 2 years old. He loves reading books but is still at an age where he would tear the paper pages up. The board books are awesome. We love this one. This was actually one that was read to me as I was a child and was one of my favorite books. I was glad to be able to get it for him and hopefully make it one of his favorites too. The story itself is great, the colors are vibrant, it was made well with quality materials, and I expect it to last a long time, even with my destructive son.
on August 21, 2017
My daughter loves this book!!
on September 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure this is our fifth copy of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. My toddler twins fell in love with this book more than a year ago, but we had the hardcover edition (twice). The hardcover edition is great for older kids but the little ones would accidentally tear the pages as they turned them. We went through two copies of that edition and then we found the paperback edition and the shorter board book. The board book was great but only had half the story so the kids would get upset whenever we'd read it to them. The pages in the paperback edition turn more easily and don't stick together, so the kids had an easier time with it, but we were always worried it would get damaged.

I found this book - the full story in board book format - and knew it was perfect. It's held up remarkably well. We try to teach our kids to be respectful of books but it's not easy for two two-year-olds to be gentle. They're hard on everything and books are no exception.

Both kids read this book to themselves. We keep it down on a low shelf so they can reach it because it's sturdy enough that it would take some serious work to tear it up.

This is a great book to teach little ones the alphabet. For my two, the story doesn't end until we sing the ABCs while looking at the letters on the last two pages.

I'll be buying two more copies - one for my grandson and one for my nephew. It really is a book that every little one should own, and this board book is the best copy of the book I've found.
on July 3, 2006
Our 2 year old daughter got the new Blues Clues tape for the ABC and they read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom on it. She just loved it so we bought both the Chicka Chicak Boom Boom and the 123 numbers books. She loves these books! They sell a set with magnetic numbers and I regret not buying that one, but we have other letters to use for additional book interaction. Plus Blues Clues doesn't do the entire story, so it was fun to be able to read the rest of the book after the letters fall out of the tree. I highly recommend this book for any child learning their ABC....it's fun for learning!
on January 6, 2008
Parents who do not like this book do not understand that although it uses the letters as characters, it is not an "ABC book." Rather it should be seen as a rhythmic exercise to keep children excited about reading.

Now, for the quibble: "Sung by Ray Charles" sounds like fun to me, but he doesn't sing at all. Rather, he reads the book twice on the CD and then we are treated to two versions by children and one sung by the author. "Performed by" Ray maybe, but not sung. The CD is HORRIBLE. If you want to supplement with a CD at all, treat yourself to the scholastic video of this story. The music is wonderful and guaranteed to get kids singing along.
on August 3, 2003
I enjoyed this book so much, I am purchasing the board book version of it. It is one of the few books I have read to my daughter and day care children that totally drew them in from the second line. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a daring yet impish race of the small alphabet letters up to the top of a coconut tree with vivid artwork on every page. When the tree is weighed down with all the letters, it bends and the child-like letters fall down to be picked up by the large letters described as the mamas and the papas and the uncles and the aunts. Theya re all gathered up and put to bed when all the sudden out comes little a again..and the fun starts again. It is so fun to read for the adults too. What a great way to show the relationship betwen large and small alphabet letters! We even started a game with me saying, "Chicka chicka?" and them cheering back, "BOOM BOOM!"
The author captures the tone of children at play, keeps a rhythm that is easy to follow, and provides a warm sunny way for children to remember the alphabet. It is well worth the money and I will look for more offerings from the author in the future. I also used it as a tool for homeschooling my daughter who has just turned 4. After the purchase and use of this book, she can easily recognize all letters large and small which makes it so much easier when you work on phonics and early reading. The book made it FUN and that is what I liked the most.
Get this book!!! It's educational, affordable, and fun!
on July 12, 2005
My 3 & 4 year old love this book, and I have so much fun reading it to them. They love the funny words and how it is written with a nice rhythm. I have tried many alphabet books with my kids, and this is the only one we have found that keeps their attention from end to end. My 4 year walks around chanting the verses from the book because it is so naturally easy to memorize. It not only teaches the letters but that there are both upper-case (adults in this story) and lower-case (the kids) letters. My 4 year old quickly noticed that the "children" letters were all lower-case.