Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Foo Fighters GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 66 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 74 reviews
on July 3, 2011
Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined myself caring for a mini-flock of "designer hens," nor would I have envisioned writing a review for a memoir I had recently read describing someone else's experiences with these most intriguing creatures. Until now. Alice Walker's recent Chicken Chronicles not only kept me entranced and delighted well into the wee hours but validated my fascination with these often misjudged and undervalued birds that give so much more than they receive. Like Alice, I have learned the zen-like value of being still with them in the mornings while enjoying my first cup of coffee; the thrill of finding that first warm egg; their daily comical antics; and the genuine sorrow of losing a favorite "girl" to mysterious causes. Chickens have a good deal to teach us humans if we will only pay attention and learn. Alice Walker knows there is much more to a chicken than eggs for breakfast and legs for dinner. And, for those whose life styles cannot accommodate such "exotic pets," Chicken Chronicles offers a fascinating glimpse into the human heart's capacity to love and learn.
on February 3, 2015
I love Alice as much as I love chickens so how could it miss? Having a backyard flock is the best thing I have done for myself in years and I think there is no question that Alice Walker would agree. She articulates so many of the feelings I've had--the birds engage you on a level that I wouldn't have expected. They are pets, they behave like pets, and yet there remains a wildness that's lost in other domesticated critters. They pull you into nature, into a oneness with the natural world.

As you can see from the subtitle, Walker cherishes her birds on a whole other level--a level unique and precious for her. Sharing company with her flock took her back to her childhood experience of life with chickens. That kicked open a door that had closed on memory and allowed her to heal in ways she hadn't realized she was quite so broken. As memory was restored she was given the gift of herself, her mama, and the world that would shape her foundation.

Quite a gift. And breakfast too.
on December 25, 2012
I am an avid animal lover and fought along side a top animal rights group to change the living standards of the poor abused chickens that we eat after a horrible life they are subjected to. I like meat and will continue to eat chickens but I do not patronize the big businesses that torture their birds with a life of horror till its time to eat them just for the sake of profit. I pay more and purchase from farms that are humane to their animals. This story gives an insight into the feelings that animals have. We do not give them credit for having the same feelings as humans do. They experience hate, fear, pain, anguish, joy, love, jealousy, etc... and this book shows in the story how even a bird that we consider simple has a fairly complex communication system. It was hard for me to read but written incredibly well.There was joy and sadness in this heart rendering story of the little tykes.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2016
It was an interesting read, but I hoped it would be a bit more in depth with the chickens. Space nuts...
on October 8, 2012
At least according to Alice Walker who coined the term. For the most part her chickens are “Yay Space Nuts“ along with people like Gandhi and the Dalai Lama.  But occasionally even her lovely chickens feel the need to establish a pecking order, primarily by pecking, to Alice‘s consternation. Then they are “Aww, Space Nuts“.  The book is a collection of essays and letters to and about her chickens she raises in Northern California. The chickens teach her a great deal about the nature of Nature and the place of humans and chickens in the pecking order of life. For the most part I found  the book delightful. The only annoyance was the repetitive reference to herself as Mommy. Aw Space Nuts.
on April 19, 2017
Why four stars from the stingy star giver? Well it is Alice Walker and it is chickens...and ruminations on life, big and small. On the wonder of eggs and the sad state of,our planet and the beauty of every day. So yes, four stars because...
on March 26, 2014
I love her light, sweet relationship with backyard chickens. Alice writes as if to her hens, and we are let in on the conversation. I got 16 one day old chicks sent to our post office, then began building a chicken house and coop while they peeped in a pen inside the house. 6 weeks later we made a pilgrimage with the teen chicks up to their new house. Set up chairs, had popcorn for the guests, and the parade of chicks were the hit of the week.
So the I had time to read Chronicles. Many of Alice's insights and observations meshed exactly with our chicken experiences. What fun.
on October 24, 2012
This book caught my eye because it seemed to follow her chickens. And having just started my own chicken flock, it sounded interesting to read someone else's stories. But it was more about how she related to her chickens and how her feelings about life itself related to her chickens. Probably the best thing about this book, besides simply enjoying some of her lovely tales about her sweet girls, was learning about Alice Walker herself. At first, having no prior knowledge about the woman, I thought, "Why is someone coming out to her house for an interview? And why is she going to visit with the Dalai Lama and Gandhi? Who is this woman?!?" I have now ventured into some of her other writings and am getting to know her.
on August 16, 2017
Heartwarming even if you don't have chickens.
on June 30, 2014
She understands how these feathered beings can make a person look inward, see how life really works and can help save your soul. I had chickens as pets for years and having a hen fall asleep on your lap is the best tranquilizer there is. I highly recommend this book!