BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

A free-spirited American rooster played by Mel Gibson (who ironically is from Australia) finds himself injured and surrounded by British hens trying to escape from a tightly-controlled English chicken farm.

This claymation film is a classic in many ways. It's classic in that it's put together by claymation geniuses Nick Park and Peter Lord (think Aardman Studios and "Wallace and Grommit").

This is a must-see for fans of WWII POW movies. You will see many parallels to the big-budget movie "The Great Escape" and the made-for-TV film "The Birdmen", along with hints of "Stalag 17", etc. \

The film features the somewhat dim-witted farmer, his militant/driven (commandant-like) wife- check out her boots, dogs guarding the fence perimeter, an optimistic escape leader, smuggler/scrounger rats and more.

Things go from bad to worse when the Farmer's wife, tired of earning "minuscule profits" invests in a business that will shift the farm from egg production to something much more sinister and lethal for the chicken inmates. What can the chickens do? Watch and see.

The writing is witty, the story line is fun, and character development is top-notch.

A 5-star romp that works for all ages.
on April 22, 2017
As other customers have stated, this Blu-ray defaults to German but you can go to the settings and choose English and then turn off the subtitles. The hardest part is knowing which settings to choose since the choices aren't in English. I managed to get it right the first time and I have to tell you, the video is FAR superior to the DVD issue, so this is well worth the purchase. I watched it and enjoyed it as if I was watching it again for the first time. The work these guys do to animate just blows my mind. One of my all time favorites and thrilled to have it on Blu-ray!!
on March 26, 2017
If you haven't seen this movie, whether you have kids or not, you are missing out. Just loved it from start to finish. It's kind of a claymation movie and very well done. Superb acting and some of the greatest lines ever: (British Accent) I wasn't on holiday, I was in solitary confinement. :)
on May 29, 2014
We recently joined the backyard chicken movement and acquired 6 little golden balls of fluff. Ever since the chicks arrived I have been possessed with the desire to see this movie again. I saw it years ago and remembered it as being a cute animation, but not anything special. This time around I laughed myself silly.

This movie is hilarious. I thought the claymation would be annoying, but instead I found it charming. The British dialogue is incredibly witty, the characters are fantastic, and the storyline is simply endearing. And no, I'm not affiliated with the movie in any way or being paid to endorse it. I really did just LOVE this movie.

The pop culture references alone are brilliant. There are a whole bunch of them, but my favorites were the Star Trek references, especially the lines lifted straight from Star Trek IV. I mean, a Scottish "engineer" chicken who says things like, "It's a Klingon, Cap'n! The engines can't take it!" It's been a long time since I saw a movie so funny that I actually fell off the couch laughing, but this one delivered!

Highly recommend it, especially if you have your own little flock. Whoever made this movie spent a LOT of time around chickens - the behaviors and movements of the chickens are spot on. I spent most of the movie saying, "OMG - that's EXACTLY how chickens are!!" Seems like every flock's got a leader, a troublemaker, a complainer, and an underachiever - and after seeing this movie you'll recognize YOUR chickens immediately, lol! It's funny - all the time I was building the coop I was worried about predators getting in. Now after seeing this movie I'm a little paranoid that my girls are actually plotting to get out!
on October 6, 2017
Would've been nice to know it doesn't play on U.S. DVD players. Good thing it cost less than a dollar. Guess it's going in the craft project scrap drawer.
on December 23, 2010
U P D A T E:......H A S ....M R S......T W E E D Y......B E E N.....F I D D L I N G.....W I T H .....M Y .....D V D:....

I recently bought this DVD so I could see a favourite movie over again. It played well........but I could't access any of the extras! This was a FOWL thing to happen on a DVD!

However, the PACKAGING of this DVD is, er.,,EGGSellent!
Perhaps because this CAN be considered a chilldrens' movie, the removal of this DVD, from it's case, is the easiest I have ever come across. Press your finger in the place indicated....and two seconds later, wow -- your DVD is free(!) to put into your DVD player. ALL future DVDs should come in similar packaging. Doesn't look any more expensive to produce this type of DVD packaging, than similar cases, (which -- should women, (and men!) users ever band together in a class law-suit over broken finger-nails caused by difficult-to-open DVD packaging -- could easily bankrupt several studios. (Only kidding??????) Anyway, the DVD case that CHICKEN RUN comes in is DEFINITELY one for manufacturers to emulate! Labels of "Freedom opening" DVD Packaging, (in honour of that found on the 'Chicken Run' DVD), should make the DVD-buying public SO happy, that those DVD packages that are made this way, will probably increase sales for their producers many times over....in amounts Mr. & Mrs. Tweedy could never have even imagined!

O R I G I N A L.....R E V I E W.........
I totally enjoyed this movie in the theatre! So did my mom, (over 80 at the time.) Neither of us knew that this was supposed to be a children's movie -- now we do. The prevailing idea used to be that "cartoons", (animations), are just for children. Then I got to thinking.....a "cartoon", (animation) film COULD be made of "The Diary of Anne Frank". It's not the "medium" used in a film that counts....it's the message. (And, with apologies to Marshall McCluhan, medium and message really need NOT be the same.)

Reading the Amazon summary of this movie, brings back some very vivid
recollections. Yes, indeed, this IS "Stalag 17" -- with chickens, (the first scenes even LOOK like a POW camp...complete with dogs and barbed wire, with our heros and heroines ensconsed in
"Chicken Coop 17". Some of the sight-gags are, indeed, best understood by adults -- and/or precocious teens who have seen "Stalag 17", and other movies hinted at, so cleverly, in "Chicken Run". (At the beginning, our heroine, Ginger, tries to escape many times. And each time she is put into solitary confinement. Which is nothing compared to the sad fate that awaits "eggless Edwina"...! Later on, cruel Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy decide to change their farm from an chicken -egg-producing one........to a chicken-PIE-producing one! These English chickens are really scared now....but a visitor from the US, ("Rocky the Rooster", voiced by Mel Gibson), hopes to teach them to fly. But...FLY???? Chickens CAN'T FLY! Is the situation hopeless? No, of course not....but not before danger and daring await and are required of all of the chickens....including Ginger and Rocky....who, at one point, find themselves in the new chicken-pie making machinery...and OVEN!!!!! Yet Ginger, Rocky, and the other chickens and roosters, never give up trying to escape........

It's a great film. So great that, when it was over, and my mom and I went to the nearby Burger-King for a snack, I forswore my usual chicken sandwhich, and opted for a salad instead!
on May 3, 2013
Ginger is a hen with a purpose, to escape the coop of Mrs.Tweedy's farm. She has gone over and under the fence, and has done everything but fly. Her problem becomes compounded when she learns of Mrs.Tweedy's newest plan, and she realizes that she must somehow find a way for everyone to escape and soon before all of the chickens become ingredients for the pies Mrs.Tweedy is planning to make of them. Enter Rocky, a rooster from a nearby circus who appears to be able to know how to fly, and Ginger is determined to learn that secret before it is too late. Strangely, it isn't Rocky who is destined to save them by teaching them to fly, because the secret to flight wasn't his to begin with. How will they escape? That's up to Ginger-and a batty old Rooster who was the mascot for an air squadron in the War. And it is a race against time to get free before all end up dead and served up for dinner.
on September 8, 2017
Perfect Family movie...nice mix of child & adult-CLEAN-humor ...
on September 1, 2017
So funny... loved the characters. Especially Rocky!
on March 21, 2013
What does an antisemitic rooster sound like? Only one way to find out.

Despite Mr. Mel Gibsons contribution, a charming and FUNNY movie from your favourite plasticine magicians. No match for Wallace & Gromit, because it was produced under Hollywood surveillance, and that's not good for the quirky British style that made Aardman famous.

But if you want something you will enjoy along with your kids, this is it. Now, chances are, your children will not understand the subtle homage to The Great Escape, but you don't need that inside knowledge to thoroughly enjoy this flick.

"Mrs. Tweedy, the chickens are revolting!" --- "For once, we agree on something."