Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on January 16, 2016
I found this book to be a good launching point for thinking about getting my dog ready for our new child. It provides a lot of high level overview. Whenever it points out any potential behavioral problems you may have with your pet, it always suggests you find professional advice. I would have found it more helpful if it offered advice on how to proactively correct behavioral problems.

I found a lot more comfort talking directly with my vet about introducing a new baby into our family and helping the dog adjust. Our little one has arrived recently and I am proud to say he is getting along just fine with his canine big brother.
on November 11, 2015
Meh... let me save you the money, this book basically advises you to never leave dog & child alone together & for any issues that arise call a professional dog trainer.
on April 30, 2016
The book was easy to read. Gave good tips on how to train your dog to be around kids in a safe and positive manner. I like how several examples were given throughout the book and the respect, love and understanding that the author shows for dogs.
on September 14, 2015
Some good points but outdated training methods if you are a positive reward trainer.
on August 1, 2007
If you already own a dog and have given them any sort of obedience training, most of this book is either irrelevant or redundant to what you probably already know. Mr. Kilcommons essentially gives you tips on how to have a well-behaved dog, then applies those lessons to having children in the house. While these are important lessons, his approach is neither unique nor revolutionary. And this is a teeny tiny book! Barely 80 pages, I read it in less than an hour, skimming much of the early sections (choosing the right dog for you, whether to adopt a puppy or an older dog etc. - chapters completely irrelevant for someone who's trying to train the dog they already HAVE rather than the one they don't own YET.) It wasn't a bad book, but there were very few tips that I will find useful in introducing our dogs to our soon-to-arrive child.
on November 16, 2016
Great book.
on July 17, 2014
It didn't really provide a lot of new information. It was pretty basic suggestions.
on May 4, 2015
Mostly common sense. Did not find anything in the book that was not available free on the internet.
on April 24, 2013
We have four rescued terriers, so my husband and I knew that we needed to prepare our home and our dogs before the baby was born. This book helped so much! I am happy to report that our dogs made the transition from being fur-children to fur-siblings with no issues, and they have a great relationship with our ornery little toddler! And believe me....she tests their patience on a daily basis! Unfortunately, many people think that dogs and babies cannot coexist peacefully. There is nothing further from the truth! If you prepare your dogs before the baby comes, there should be no issues. However, if you expect your dog(s) to accept a new baby with absolutely no preparations or accommodations on your part, it will not be a successful transition. As a dog rescuer and foster mom, I've seen far too many dogs brought to the shelter after a new baby was born simply because their owners did not think (or care enough) to plan ahead. With a little time and consistency, it can (and will) work. If you're expecting a baby and have dogs, you MUST purchase this book. It was invaluable to us!
on November 21, 2013
This book was HORRIBLE - VERY outdated (early 90s) - and NOT evidence based or practical at all - the book is very very thin and more like a pamphlet than a book - furthermore, every single section was "if this describes you, you need to seek the help of a professional" - it was one escape clause after another -

and then for some of the solutions they tell you to just get rid of your dog. um. really?

TERRIBLE>
do not waste money -
even if you buy for 1cent and need to pay the 3.99 for shipping - not worth it -