Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 435 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 879 reviews
on July 15, 2016
This is a movie for adults; a plausible near-future tale that need not predict anything to be deeply relevant to our times. Fear of immigrants, terrorism, militarized police and a growing surveillance state, the very rich isolating themselves from chaos they have helped create, Children of Men is a story of and for our times.

In a future where no more children will be born, how do we proceed through life when hope for the human race has been removed? Why continue living when you've lost everything? Why on earth would you quit smoking?
on January 16, 2017
I naturally gravitate towards science fiction dystopian films because they give us all an insight into how our future could look. Do you care about the future of humanity? I know that I definitely do. Anyways, I thought the strong premise and incredible cast anchored this film well though the backstory of how everything came to be prior to the film's events weren't well explained in it. In addition, I would have loved to know how human society was doing ten years after a near apocalypse was avoided. Lastly, I think a sequel or standalone film related to this one should be created in order to continue the storyline or premise.
on May 19, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies. It's extremely realistic - those who made it knew precisely what they were doing. It's not about special effects or fantasy, it's about a real possible future, although not a likely one. The more likely ones will produce similar scenarios, however. I read that the camera work was quite difficult to pull off & that's one of the reasons the film has such immediacy. But the actual reason the movie is so compelling is the characterizations are based on real people, and our future, for one reason or another, will probably be somewhat similar to that of the film.
on April 5, 2017
This movie captured the zeitgeist of the post-9/11 world. Densely packed with meaningful imagery even in just the background. It's a moving film and one of my favorites of all time. The editing of some of these scenes, seemingly without cuts, is truly awesome. A dystopian future that is set in the near-future that feels far too familiar and too possible for it not to hold resonance. Highly recommended.
on May 10, 2017
A dark movie (literally dark and gloomy and lacks color by design...) I enjoyed the acting of Clive Owen and Michael Caine in this sad and desperate tale of the future of our world ~ God, I hope not ! ~ . Julianne Moore's performance is good also, but her part for me didn't stand out that much, but she's a really solid actress. Michael Caine's role is limited also, but he of course is a hoot and plays his character well IMHO. The movie was released in 2006, so it's 11 years or so old. Still, I enjoyed the whole sad, dark tale of Earth's future. Clive Owen was the right guy to play this character in my opinion. Not very expensive for a DVD so give it a look if this kind of futuristic movie pulls your chain.
on December 13, 2014
One of the most powerful movies I've ever seen. It's a chilling version of future chaos in the world. In England, the anarchy centers around immigration in a kind of "immigrant holocaust." The main problem, however, is that, in England and in the entire world, women can no longer conceive. There are no children. Clive Owen delivers the best performance of his career, in a realistic portrayal of an embittered and depressed man who finds a sacred purpose. The most poignant moment in the movie is a momentary cease-fire, in which men cannot possibly kill one another or hate one another--a brief, but moving, moment of unity of all mankind. The Children of Men involves much loss and is sometimes difficult to watch, though the violence is not at all gratuitous. It is redeemed by the core love of the hero--who would not ever describe himself as such and would never have asked for the job.
on April 28, 2016
This is a great movie. If you haven't seen it you have to see it. If you have, then see it again.
on March 31, 2017
Opens with a bang - literally. Still keeps me glued to my seat after several viewings. Thoughtful - and unfortunately very topical - Science Fiction. Essential for fans of both movies and of speculative fiction.
on December 3, 2015
Easily in my top 10! Children of Men covers all three areas that make a film great to me: 1. A storyline that has depth and unpredictability. 2. Powerful, believable delivery by the actors. 3. Top shelf cinematography. This movie carries all three. Not to mention the greatness added to the story by the absence of artificial, superficial, shallow "love" and the presence of real human compassion delivered in a non-sappy way. My advice is to watch Children of Men at least twice, if you do you will notice several wonderful symbolic gestures that if you're like me you probably didn't catch in the first go round. Enjoy!
on April 24, 2016
Absolutely one of my top five favorite movies of all time. I'm so glad they had a brand new one in Stock. It looks amazing and sounds even better!