Truck Reviews Beauty Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 16, 2017
I naturally gravitate towards science fiction dystopian films because they give us all an insight into how our future could look. Do you care about the future of humanity? I know that I definitely do. Anyways, I thought the strong premise and incredible cast anchored this film well though the backstory of how everything came to be prior to the film's events weren't well explained in it. In addition, I would have loved to know how human society was doing ten years after a near apocalypse was avoided. Lastly, I think a sequel or standalone film related to this one should be created in order to continue the storyline or premise.
4 people found this helpful
on May 19, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies. It's extremely realistic - those who made it knew precisely what they were doing. It's not about special effects or fantasy, it's about a real possible future, although not a likely one. The more likely ones will produce similar scenarios, however. I read that the camera work was quite difficult to pull off & that's one of the reasons the film has such immediacy. But the actual reason the movie is so compelling is the characterizations are based on real people, and our future, for one reason or another, will probably be somewhat similar to that of the film.
6 people found this helpful
on December 5, 2016
One of the better movies of the last fifteen years or so...great cinematography, solidly acted in every role, from minor villains to Michael Caine as a burned out old hippie radical...every part is well played. Solid script tightly directed...action movies have a tendency to get away from directors at times, what with all the explosions and bombs and pyrotechnics...not here...a case of really fine story telling, and that's what making movies is all about...
on April 5, 2017
This movie captured the zeitgeist of the post-9/11 world. Densely packed with meaningful imagery even in just the background. It's a moving film and one of my favorites of all time. The editing of some of these scenes, seemingly without cuts, is truly awesome. A dystopian future that is set in the near-future that feels far too familiar and too possible for it not to hold resonance. Highly recommended.
on February 21, 2014
Once in awhile Hollywood will put out a sleeper-one that manages to go unnoticed(think Shawshank) til a little later. For whatever reason, the more people watch this on rental, the more popular/critical acclaim it gets. Solid acting, unique plot, and depth of themes make this a definite weekend rental or at least a used copy pick up. I'd go as far as saying it's a solid blind buy, even new. Long story short, it's set in a time when in the (somewhat apocalyptic)future the human race has lost its ability to propagate the species-women can't get pregnant anymore. The addition of being in a martial-law environment, w/ societal breakdown having run amuck, adds a level of excitement/intensity to the otherwise serious and slow tone. I probably could've used a touch more character development, but it sufficed as it was. Enjoy!
One person found this helpful
on March 31, 2017
Opens with a bang - literally. Still keeps me glued to my seat after several viewings. Thoughtful - and unfortunately very topical - Science Fiction. Essential for fans of both movies and of speculative fiction.
on May 14, 2007
A world where women are no longer giving birth. A world in turmoil. A world that will end for mankind in less than 80 years.

A lot of war still going on in the world in this movie and it's sad. You'd think at the end of times, man would come together to figure out a cure for what is wrong. Or maybe just not die mad, but peaceful. That part was kinda sad for me. You can just look at most of the people and just see in their faces that the end is near. Why people were even working anymore was a surprise to me.

Theo (Clive Owen) unexpectedy gets mixed up in a series of events starting off with a lost love that ends up with him meeting a pregnant girl that he will soon have to get out of the place that he lives to a more peaceful area of the world, and hopefully save mankind.

I thought the whole story was pretty well done in the movie. It definitely kept my attention throughout the movie. The pace of the movie seemed very fast once the action starts to pick up.

The camera work in the movie was phenomenal. The action scenes were so well choreographed it seemed real. The best part about the movie in my opion was the action scenes. Alfonso Cuarón (the director) made every action scene without taking one cut which made it all look so damn real. The last big action scene had to be about 15-20 minutes long with no cuts. I was just in awe with how well it was done.

My biggest gripe about the movie was the ending, and it wasnt even that bad, it was just not how I would've ended it. Also some parts of the story seemed to have been thrown in for filler. Other than that though...great movie.
|55 comments|Report abuse
on January 11, 2017
This is a good, realistic sci-fi movie set in the near future. Unfortunately, the quality of the sound (blu-ray) leaves much to be desired. Voices were muddied to the point of being impossible to understand throughout much of the movie. Otherwise, I would have given this 4 stars.
One person found this helpful
on July 15, 2016
This is a movie for adults; a plausible near-future tale that need not predict anything to be deeply relevant to our times. Fear of immigrants, terrorism, militarized police and a growing surveillance state, the very rich isolating themselves from chaos they have helped create, Children of Men is a story of and for our times.

In a future where no more children will be born, how do we proceed through life when hope for the human race has been removed? Why continue living when you've lost everything? Why on earth would you quit smoking?
8 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 30, 2016
This is a very interesting and thoughtful movie. Can be very intense at times, made even more so by the cinematography that pulls you into it. Very well done!