Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $5.18 shipping
Child's Play [VHS]
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
The "chills come thick and fast" (Los Angeles Times) as voodoo and terror meet within an innocent-looking doll inhabited by the soul of a serial killer who isn't ready to die. From the Director of Fright Night comes a "clever, playful" (The New York Times) and stylish thriller with "excellent special effects" (Leonard Maltin) and heart-pounding suspense guaranteed to scare! After 6-year-old Andy Barclay's (Alex Vincent) babysitter is violently pushed out of a window to her death, nobody believes him when he says that "Chucky," his new birthday doll, did it! Untilthings start going terribly wrong dead wrong. And when an ensuing rampage of gruesome murders lead a detective (Chris Sarandon) back to the same toy, he discovers that the real terror has just begun'the deranged doll has plans to transfer his evil spirit into a living human beingyoung Andy!
Horror maestro Tom Holland (Fright Night) brought wit and devilish energy to this 1988 scarefest about a murderer (Brad Dourif) who wills his soul into an innocuous doll named Chucky, and reveals himself only to the toy's owner, a frightened little boy. Catherine Hicks plays the child's mother, and Chris Sarandon a detective; neither of them knows what to make of the kid's story. Monster-doll stories are always wonderfully surreal, and Child's Play is no exception. Holland oversees some finely tuned special effects that allow Chucky to express himself and do some damage--it is truly unnerving but somehow good, subversive fun. --Tom Keogh
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top Customer Reviews
After 6-year-old Andy Barclay's (Alex Vincent) babysitter Maggie is violently pushed out of a window to her death, nobody believes him when he says that "Chucky," his new birthday doll, did it! Until things start going terribly wrong dead wrong. And when an ensuing rampage of gruesome murders lead Chicago Police Detective Michael Norris(Chris Sarandon) back to the same toy, he discovers that the real terror has just begun. The deranged doll has plans to transfer his evil spirit into a living human being young Andy after notorious "Lakeshore Strangler" Charles Lee Ray(Brad Dourif)transfers his soul by voodoo magic into a Cabbage Patch like "Good Guy" doll after being shot near to death by Chicago P.D. where Charles presumably burned to death in the toy store explosion which was similar to how the wicked murderous Freddy Krueger(Robert Englund)preyed on his victims after being burned alive to a crisp by enemies who presumed him to be dead in the original Wes Craven's A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET which was released in the Fall of 1984.
Eventually, Chucky discovers from a witch doctor John Simonsen "Dr. Death"(Raymond Oliver)that the only way he can get out of the dolls body is to possess the first person he revealed his secret to which is Andy whom Chucky desperately stalks the more Chucky becomes human & trapped in the doll the longer he stays in it.
CHILD'S PLAY was also released in the Fall of 1988 with moderate success that was produced on a 9,000,000 budget & has now since developed a cult following among fans of the horror genre just like HALLOWEEN, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, FRIDAY THE 13TH, etc. along with the fact that "Chucky" was the most relentless villainous murderer since Freddy Krueger & CHILD'S PLAY did so well during it's theatrical release in November of 1988 that CHILD'S PLAY II came out in theatres in the Fall of 1990 which wasn't too shabby of a sequel in fact.
Rumor also has it that the "Good Guy Dolls" were based on the My Buddy dolls created by Hasbro, but it was confirmed by creator Don Mancini that the "Good Guy Dolls" were modeled after the Cabbage Patch Kids, plus there were a large crowd of people protesting against this horror flick speculating that it would incite violence in children.
•NEW 2K scan from the interpositive
•NEW Audio Commentary with director Tom Holland
• Audio Commentary with Alex Vincent, Catherine Hicks and "Chucky" designer Kevin Yagher
• Audio Commentary with Producer David Kirschner and Screenwriter Don Mancini
•Audio Commentary with Chucky (select scenes)
• NEW Behind-the-Scenes Special Effects footage from Howard Berger (60 minutes)
• NEW Howard Berger: Your Special Effects Friend 'Til The End - interview with special effect artist Howard Berger (40 minutes)
• NEW Life Behind the Mask: Being Chucky – an interview with actor Ed Gale (40 minutes)
• Evil Comes in Small Packages featuring interviews with Don Mancini, David Kirschner, John Lafia, Chris Sarandon, Brad Dourif, Catherine Hicks, Alex Vincent, Kevin Yagher (24 minutes)
• Chucky: Building a Nightmare featuring Kevin Yagher (10 minutes)
• A Monster Convention featuring Catherine Hicks, Alex Vincent and Chris Sarandon (5 minutes)
•Introducing Chucky: The Making of Child's Play Vintage Featurette (6 minutes)
•Vintage Child's Play featurette (5 minutes)
• Theatrical Trailer
• TV Spot
• Rare Behind-the-Scenes Photo Gallery
•Posters and Lobby Cards Gallery
Some people have had issues of Audio Channels being reversed. Go on Shout's website for replacement program. From what I read, The serial number around the ring on the silver side of the corrected disc is CDV/CA BD16110903 CHILD'S PLAY DISC 1.
The original/problem disc serial number is BVDL-1288970.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > MGM Home Entertainment > All MGM Titles
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > MGM Home Entertainment > All MGM Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > MGM Home Entertainment > MGM Movie Time