Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 168 reviews
on June 14, 2011
This is hands down the best child's Bible I have come across and I've been searching for a long time. Even though it is a bit old for her yet, my 3 year old loves it and regularly asks for me to read to her from it.

The best aspect of this Bible for me:

The stories are all tied in together. As a child I knew plenty of 'Bible stories', ie, Daniel in the Lion's Den, Noah's Ark etc, but if you had asked me how any of them related to each other, I wouldn't have been able to join the dots or tell you why knowing the stories was important. In this book, I believe Catherine F. Vos is very committed to teaching children the WHOLE story of the Bible. The narrative voice that tells the stories is constantly tying the themes together, drawing the child's mind back to a previous story and setting the scene for the new one. I've actually been filling some holes in my own Bible education leftover from my childhood through her concisely related insights.

The downside for me:

Through the narration style, explanations are sometimes given for parts of Bible stories that I myself struggle to read to my children because I disagree with her interpretations. I know that people will often disagree on interpretation of scriptures, but I think there are many things that could have just gone unsaid. Here is an example from the story of creation.

"The Bible says, 'God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul.' This does not mean that God picked up a handful of dirt and made a man out of it. It means that man's body is made out of the same material we find in soil and the rocks."

Which is all well and good if you are teaching the 6 day creation story as a metaphor on the whole, but this book does not. It only picks on this one aspect of the creation story. I wish that in this case, as in a few others, the author had just quoted the Bible and left it there.

Nonetheless, a very valuable addition to our household's library.
on October 23, 2009
I LOVE that this is now a part of our library. It's great to read these Bible "stories" to my kids starting in Genesis and going through the Bible. I LOVE that aspect of it. This is an OLDER Bible and the Scripture text when quoted is taken from the King James Version. I have two children under the age of six. I will frequently modernize the language for them while I'm reading. To note: this is NOT a picture book (although there are some pictures included). When sitting down to read this with my children I encourage them to utilize their imaginations. We then often will draw our own pictures of the stories that we just read. We'll grow into it! I will probably also purchase the Egermeier's Bible Story Book.
on December 25, 2013
My husband and I love this book. Unfortunately the lack of pictures has made it hard to get my 4yo and 6yo into it, but I will try again when they are older. The author does such a good job of tying the stories together and providing background, that I learn a lot just reading it on my own.
on February 7, 2013
I purchased this childrens bible after a friend had recommended it to me. I really like the way the stories are written. I think my six year old relates to them really well. The only thing is that there are no pictures which is ok, but would have been nice to have some visuals.
on April 25, 2013
A nice book with the bible stories in an easy to read format and wording. It was just what I needed.
on September 15, 2015
Wonderful bible story book with stories that are not normally in Children's bibles which makes it a great book to add to your child's library.
on April 13, 2013
I think its a bout a nice Bible to read your little ones found so for.. try it at bedtime or just quiet time.
on June 17, 2008
this is nice to have. it hasn't become a favorite yet, but some of the pictures are really beautiful. the idea of passing our family history is wonderful and this is a great aid to jump start teaching your children their ancestry.
on October 2, 2011
This book was in good used condition. I did find some crusty food inside one of the pages but otherwise it is fine.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse