Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating FFII_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 63 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on November 16, 2014
This book kept me guessing and I couldn't put it down. Kay Hooper did an amazing job with the action and suspense in this book. The ending was a shock and I didn't expect what happened. Usually I can figure out who the killer is or what was going to take place. Chill of Fear kept me guessing the entire time and when I thought I was close to figuring out the killer something else would happen to change my mind. I can't wait to read the next book in the Bishop SCU novels.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 8, 2014
CHILL OF FEAR is one of the best of the Bishop/Special Crime Unit series. While I have complained about some of the previous entries because of the short shrift given to the romance in this series of paranormal romantic suspense books, this book is pretty darn good even though it ends with just the beginning of what might be termed the actual romance.

THE STORY: Special Agent Quentin Hayes has been obsessed with a murder that happened twenty-five years ago. He has returned to the scene of the crime, The Lodge, year and year searching for clues. Quentin is a seer, but that talent has not helped him solve the murder. When he returns to the Lodge this time, he meets Diana Brisco. Diana has been treated for mental illness for most of her life. What she doesn't know and Quentin immediately recognizes is that her "mental illness" is actually a psychic talent. Quentin realizes that he and Diana are at the Lodge at the same time for a reason and he struggles to help her accept her talent in order to have her help him solve the series of murders and disappearances that have taken place at the Lodge for a century.

OPINION: I loved this book. The plotting is intricate and complex and the characters are interesting and compelling. There is no "romance" in the traditional sense. The first kiss takes place at the very end of the book, but I found the romance between Quentin and Diana to be more satisfying than several of the previous novels in the series. The two build a strong, true relationship and Quentin purposely holds off on anything more because of the danger the two face. The novel is really about Diana discovering and acknowledging her psychic abilities and accepting them. I thoroughly enjoyed Diana facing herself and discovering who she truly is.

WORTH MENTIONING: There are a bunch of characters that made previous appearances in the series who make cameos. Beau Rafferty, the artist makes an important contribution.

FINAL DECISION: I loved this book and was one of the best at working out the psychic element as Diana struggles with accepting her talent.

CONNECTED BOOKS: CHILL OF FEAR is the eighth book in the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. It is also the second book in the Fear Trilogy that is internal to the series. I think, however, this book is truly a sequel to TOUCHING EVIL because many of the characters in that book make an appearance or are mentioned in this book, including Quentin. CHILL OF FEAR can be read completely on its own, however.

STAR RATING: I give this book a 4.5 because I was compelled to turn page after page and I was satisfied at the end of it.
on May 22, 2014
I have not been disappointed with any of Kay Hooper's books in the Bishop series. They are all bite your nails, grip your seat serious page turners. I can't put them down. Most books I will read a chapter then put the book down for a few days. I can not do that with Kay's books. I literally pick one up today and will be finished with it tomorrow. Her books grip you, pull you into the story, make your heart beat a little bit faster and keep your mind questioning everyone to find who the killer is.

The only other author I've enjoyed reading is Stephen King. I would match and perhaps even say that Kay Hooper surpasses Stephen King when it comes to the sheer drama of these books, the waiting and anticipation to see who the killer is. Her style of writing keeps you engaged throughout the book. If I could rate these books 10 stars I would.

Although I prefer the Bishop series, Kay's other books are excellent as well.
on July 28, 2017
We really like Kay Hooper's Bishop series. The books are full of paranormal thrills, chills & romance! Great books that are fun to read.
on May 2, 2017
Great author!
on July 30, 2015
Kay Hooper is a master of masters. Still chilling with this book. Good story, people dead or alive. Whatever they got you, you need to be there... 5 stars
on June 9, 2017
Love the Bishop Series by Kay Hooper, if you like crime with a little supernatural thrown in you'll love it too! Am reading every book in order and every one is better than the last.
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2005
I've been anxiously awaiting this latest book in the SCU series but I must admit to being a little disappointed. I love the psychic element of these books and could even deal with the ghosts wandering around (the surprise about the little girl and her dog was quite good), but when the murderer turns out to be someone who has been dead for a hundred years, that was too much for me. Please keep writing these SCU books, but I'd prefer them to be a bit more believable. And I'd love to see some of the characters we've already gotten to know....like some more cases solved by Bishop, Miranda or Galen. It appears once you're married off in this series, you can't play an active role anymore.

I really do love Kay Hooper's books, love her characters and love the concept, and I did enjoy this book which is why I gave it three stars, but it wasn't my favorite.
on September 8, 2015
Anything Kay hooper writes is always a great read! Love all her books. I would recommend getting the first of the series and progress so you understand the premise of the books but is also great as a stand alone book.
on April 19, 2017