Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
VINE VOICEon November 9, 2013
The book is a good primer for anyone looking to conduct business in China. The book itself is getting dated, and the Chinese are becoming more Westernized in their business interactions. However, it cannot be understated that any attempt by a Western business executive to show respect for the traditions, history and culture of China will go a long way to building guangxi. While many of the customs and the banqueting are going to vary in intensity as you move out of Shanghai, Shenzhen and Beijing to the other cities that are less Westernized, the fundamental cultural elements of respect, face, influence and dealing with local influencers are foundationally universal.

A worthwhile read before heading to China on business.
on November 25, 2014
This is a great book for someone who has to work or interact in a Chinese setting. I think that if you have not worked in East Asia before this will provide some valuable perspective for working in China or with an Chinese company. I do see that some of the ideas of the rigidity of Chinese etiquette to be changing with the years, but this is still a helpful resource. I remember that when working over there we encountered some 'impossible' problems that resolved themselves at the 11th hour. I was prepared for these problems because of this book while colleagues who did not research were taken aback. Hopefully an updated edition will be available as there still needs to be a workplace culture guide for dealings with China.
on December 24, 2016
Chinese Business Etiquette: A Guide to Protocol, Manners, and Culture in thePeople's Republic of China Great book about the culture and business etiquette in China. The culture is much different and this book was an excellent manual to read prior to traveling in China. I highly recommend this book and included in my top must read books when traveling to China.
on November 14, 2009
I read this book in preparation for my study abroad in South East Asia. I was tasked with giving a presentation on Hong Kong.

It was very informative and simple to read. At the end of each chapter it had one sentence point summary of the material.

Examples of the content:

It exposes the reader to ways of life that appear strange to us. For example, in America, it is up to the individual to make his way in life. In China, the individual's opinion has little weight in decision making. It is the "danwei," the work unit, who decides the best course of action in this collective thinking culture.

Since the most senior employee is most likely to be "the boss" he or she should be the first to enter the room. Further more, "the bosses" do most of the talking - subordinates should remain silent unless addressed specifically.

Be sure to give and receive your business card with both hands. Read the card you receive aloud to acknowledge the other party's name and rank.
on August 13, 2013
This proved to be a great resource prepping me for my first business trip to China. Short enough to be read on the flight over, and very relevant. I found that it gave me a lot of insight that my coworkers did not have during our first business interactions. Could be updated further to reflect changing business culture. However, I still found it very helpful. The book covers dress, dining, and numerous other topics. I highly recommend this for anyone who is taking their first business trip to China.
on August 9, 2015
This book is so very helpful to someone who's in a great big hurry to learn ANYTHING that will foster an understanding of what's good manners & what's not... and why! Every first-time business traveler to China really should read this book! Scott D. Seligman did a fine job presenting me with perspectives I don't think I could have understood as rapidly as I did, thanks to his writing style!
on January 6, 2013
+ Explains the culture differences between the Chinese and western culture very well
+ Very detailed
+ Personal experience incorporated

Conclusion: A book that you MUST read before going to the PRC. Absolutely mandatory lecture if you are planning on doing any business at all in china. Whether it is the first time you go to the PRC as an intern or your multinational sends you to the PRC for a meeting, read this book and it will be a lot easier to deal with the sometimes hard to understand culture of the PRC.
on August 18, 2015
Filled with practical advice that will help you in mainland China or in the U.S. Some of this information may not apply if you're never going to host a Chinese company delegation. But, there's lots more tips and insight that's applicable in any business situation including people of Chinese descent.
on July 16, 2016
I learned a lot about the Chinese culture that helped me in my recent visit to Zhuhai. The customs regarding gifts and presenting business cards were things I was grateful to know in advance of my visit.
on September 9, 2014
This book is a must for anyone going to China for the first time. The manners and cultural tips came in handy in every type of situation including business lunches and eating out with new friends.