Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$19.50+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2010
Unless, you live in Asia and hence your life is centered around all the holidays and atmosphere, it is often difficult to remember to celebrate them, or if you are now an adult and remember those childhood years with fonder memories. This book is great for re minding you what these big Chinese holidays mean and the food that often associated with them. I know every family has a version of the recipes, I found these recipes pretty spot on the traditional fare with no westernized adaptation.
The book comes in two parts: part one focuses on Cantonese/southern Chinese recipes ranging from meat/seafood/vegetable/rice noodle and dessert dishes. Each recipe comes with some interest facts about chinese traditions. Part two covers the big holidays that include: dragon boat festival, hungry ghost festival,moon cake festival, winter solace and chinese new year; each festival comes with the story of the holiday, which I believe is very well written, and key dishes that are made along with any of the recipes in part one of the book. Did you know that the moon festival is the big Chinese holiday, over and above the new year?!
If you want to learn about Chinese traditions and key dishes that many Chinese family are raised on, then you will not be disappointed. This one of the best book on the market with respect to this subject matter and easy to read The illustrations are beautiful and traditional. Loved it.
on December 19, 2011
This book has pictures that bring childhood memories to me! I left my country when I was 10 to the western countries, but the images of my grandparents house where my siblings,cousins, parents and grandmother busy in the kitchen mirror the portraits in this book. Although I haven't tried the recipes yet, I am simply mesmerized with the attention in detail on elements of each picture setting - people's hair, clothing, the kitchen's pots and furniture...one of the most striking images I have which contrasts the western lifestyle I grew up with, is the large pots and pans set on the floor. I remember grandmother's kitchen floor was tiled and usually grimy for all the heavy cooking productions (in those days, one made everything), oily and wet kitchen floor reckon my memory. This may explain the use of changing slippers even inside of the house - the kitchen was a utility room constantly getting dirty! A must have book for its traditional Chinese recipes book, but a history book too.
on May 2, 2015
The recipes bring back memories of my Mother's cooking, especially for the special Chinese Festivals. We have tried several of the recipes and they do stir up memories of my Mother's kitchen, and the taste and flavors of our childhood. And the illustrations are wonderful.
on December 5, 2015
Fast delivery! Enjoyed the book. Thank you.
on November 12, 2015
lots of good stuff.
on March 13, 2007
This book is a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach. The recipes are true & easy to follow. The stories enchant....... I've purchased several copies as gifts as well as for my own kitchen.
on January 14, 2007
This is a pretty book but the recipes are long and a bit hard to follow.