- Hardcover: 208 pages
- Publisher: Ballantine Books; 11.11.2012 edition (December 11, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 034552912X
- ISBN-13: 978-0345529121
- Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 0.8 x 9.3 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 240 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #44,973 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home Hardcover – December 11, 2012
|New from||Used from|
See the Best Books of 2018 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
“Diana Kuan chronicles America’s love affair with Chinese food. The Chinese Takeout Cookbook is the perfect reason to throw out those menus cluttering your kitchen drawers!”—Patricia Tanumihardja, author of The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook
“By reverse engineering some of America’s best-loved dishes, Diana Kuan takes us back to the roots of good, everyday Chinese cooking: fresh, seasonal, and really fast!”—Cathy Erway, author of The Art of Eating In
“The Chinese Takeout Cookbook will inspire you to fire up your wok and re-create some of the most beloved American Chinese classics—all in less time than it would take to drive to a restaurant!”—Jaden Hair, author of The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook
“Diana Kuan has generously offered up a fresh helping of familiar Chinese favorites in this beautiful and easy-to-use cookbook.”—Kim Sunée, author of Trail of Crumbs
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. Recipes are reasonable - with fairly short ingredient lists that are available in most grocery stores like Wegmans. A wide variety of appetizers, soups and entrees.
No recipes requiring eel, seaweed or other obscure ingredients. The book is instructive of the techniques that give Chinese takeout it unique texture (crispy) and taste. I like that the recipes in this book prepare a full quart or more of food. It is such a hassle to purchase special ingredients for these types of recipes and have leftover ingredients that get wasted.
2. Contains all the usual favorites from local restaurants. The title says it all for this book - this is a cookbook of takeout recipes. Note well: If you are looking for a "purist" book on Chinese recipes of regional cuisine - look elsewhere. Understand that this book is geared toward Asian / American palate. You can now make them at home and control the quality of the ingredients / sodium. The recipes deliver flavor that is similar to restaurants (Kung Pao, Generals, Sesame Noodles)
3. I love that there are photos of every recipe - the pages are high gloss. There are also explanations of techniques like velveting and for preparing the ingredients.
Sesame noodle recipe: On point. savory. Be sure to take the time to find the egg noodles - they give the dish a toothsome quality and richness not present with plan spagetti.
Mongolian: dont skip the fish sauce; it lends a note that is impossible to replicate. If you are not used to measuring while cooking you may want to do so. Measure the sauce exactly - otherwise the noodles absorb a large amount of sauce and become very salty and unsightly (very dark and oily looking)
Straightforward instructions on prep, cooking and technique with
clear explanation of the ingredients and what made the soup more hot or sour, and I felt I mastered the recipe. Note; serving size, number of servings are not included with each recipe.
The best investment of a cookbook ever hands down! If you love Chinese takeout just as much as I do, then this book is for you!!!