Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Ching, The Oracle of the Cosmic Way
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on December 13, 2002
How do I spell "relief?" I CHING : ORACLE OF THE COSMIC WAY.
In all my years of trying to find out what's wrong with the world; what's wrong with this relationship; what's wrong with this job; what's wrong with this town, I also spent time and energy to find out what's wrong with me.
Problem was that even when I understood things intellectually; even when I could put them into poems; even when I had performed the prescribed rituals, those same sad, sour problems stayed with me. I have felt as if I was under a curse.
Sure enough. I have been living under the control of an treacherous,inner tyrant. My own ego. Even though I tried to find relief in scriptures, prayers, practices, shamanic rituals, affirmations, creative expression, bodywork, those activities never addressed the real cause of the suffering.
I CHING: ORACLE OF THE COSMIC WAY shows me an entirely different perspective. Now I can sometimes sense the decaying presence of my own ego. I can almost feel the muscles of my trueself, the person I really am, in comparison with the flimsey costumes of the ego masquerading as me. Now sometimes, I can clearly tell the difference between the two.
How can a book bring about such an awareness? First of all, I CHING;ORACLE OF THE COSMIC WAY is not a book. Yeah, it looks like one and you DO read it. But it's really a kind of intimacy with one's own Wisdom, the Sage, a presence that the ego cannot manipulate and colonize.
The Sage answers clearly when I throw the Three Coins, usually in the written Hexagrams, and sometimes in the "stillest, smallest Voice" I ever heard. If I don't understand, I just ask for clarification and throw the coins until I do. The Appendix provides remarkably clear definitions and amazingly effective processes for working with the Sage.
Three things are delightful about working with this version of the I CHING: (1) It has surgical precision that cuts straight to deep, deep difficulties. Right to the marrow. And yet (2) the process is kind and gentle, and (3) I feel relieved and satisfied with the results.
So how is this accomplished? This book teaches how to say NO! and how to say YES! to one's own life in such a way that the ego is diminished and the trueself is nourished. This book also teaches that the commonsense we all enjoyed as young children is really who we are and what we have to work with. Right now as adults.
My copy of I CHING:ORACLE OF THE COSMIC WAY has become my favorite belonging. It is such a relief to experience, once again, that life is as wonder-full as I thought it was, way back before preschool. This is especially helpful during current national and world events.
I invite you to buy this book and spend time with the Sage. Your ego won't like it, but you will.
33 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2006
The criticisms of the Oracle of the Cosmic Way expressed in reviews here unquestionably have validity. However, it may be wise to exercise caution in basing on these criticisms one's decision of whether to engage this version of the I Ching. The I Ching and the Sage are one being. The Sage will speak to each of us according to our understanding and desire to learn. It is the Sage who should ultimately guide any decision about the version of the I Ching with which to work in a process of serious study. Turn within and consult that ultimate Oracle for best guidance.

The Oracle of the Cosmic Way is a unique expression of the Sage that will speak profoundly to some students. If you hold these truths to be self-evident you may be one of those students:

1. There are two basic realities with which we must come to terms, that of the actual reality of the cosmic harmonies, and that of the parallel reality of the ego, which is not real at all but is the world most people at the current time operate in and out of. The I Ching guides us to relate effectively with both realities.

2. We are always connected with the cosmic harmonies through the aligned perception of our inner and outer senses, and through our inner truth which also connects us to the inner truth in each person. We need only to clear away the debris of the ego in our mind to allow that which always is to be.

3. The ego has become our mind through a programming process that took place in our childhoods. Its program is designed to be extremely difficult to permanently remove, but this difficulty is only from the perspective of the ego. The ego operates through the misuse of the word by human beings. This misuse, which is inevitable when one acts in and out of the parallel reality, can take the form of projections, spells, and poison arrows. The interaction of the ego with itself through all those engaged in the parallel reality nourishes it with their chi energy and perpetuates its illusion of existence.

4. The ego's tyranny can be stopped at any time, in any situation, by saying the "Inner No" to it. This engages the Helpers, manifestations of the cosmic harmonies, who are unlimited in number and each of whom will perform a particular function to dissolve the parallel reality operating in any situation for the person who calls upon them. They withdraw and wait unless and until called upon. That withdrawal is known as a "fate," and will end when it has run its allotted course, or when the person experiencing the fate has corrected the false seed phrases (misuse of the word through core phrases programmed into the unconscious) which caused the Helpers to withdraw.

In the Oracle of the Cosmic Way the Sage addresses, in a language that some students will find clear and profound, these truths and many others that are interwoven with them. It dismantles the edifice of ego that has over millennia become superimposed on the Sage's original transmission as the I Ching. It is completely worthwhile if one resonates to the truths it addresses and the language it uses. Find a copy, articulate a question living in your heart, open the book and see what happens!
on September 12, 2003
As a long time student of Zen, Taoism, Chi Kung, Taiji & Baguazhang I cannot praise this version of the I Ching enough. It has made my many other versions almost useless.
This version is stripped down to the essential issues. It resolves so many of the inconsistencies that may have confused you in other versions. It will also dramatically enhance your chi kung, meditation or internal martial arts practices.
Built into this version is a failsafe that helps make sure your readings are sound. This is a very important feature that has clearly always been there, but has been obscured in the past by faulty interpretations of the I Ching's purpose & application.
Any serious student of Zen or Taoism will immediately notice how cogently it speaks & how it resolves so many problematic issues. It is truly remarkable & transformative.
Carol Anthony & Hanna Moog & their wise benefactors have made a critical contribution to humanity.
on October 24, 2002
Welcome to the next evolution of the I Ching, now called The Oracle of the Cosmic Way. This work is the product of some five years of research and discovery on the part of the authors, Carol Anthony and Hanna Moog. For anyone who loves the I Ching and has learned from it or trusted its advice, this book will be extremely valuable. It is, in short, perhaps the most important contribution to I Ching literature since Wilhelm's famous translation of 1923, because it shows, in extraordinary detail, how a Cosmic understanding of the hexagrams and lines of the I Ching can be achieved by the individual seeker, in relation to the issues and questions of his own life, and all this in the overall context of developing a personal relationship with the Sage, or Cosmic teaching voice, that speaks through the I Ching.
This book comes highly recommended: it is researched and written by two total professionals, under the guidance of the Cosmic voice that speaks to each of us through the oracle. It will provide enrichment and deep learning for everyone who approaches it in an attitude of sincerity and openness, and continue to offer the gifts of insight and guidance for many, many years to come. Don't hesitate to obtain a copy of this new and revolutionary approach to the I Ching and the Cosmic Way.
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2005
I have had a close relationship with the I Ching for over 35 years, although I haven't devoted my life to it, as have Carol Anthony and Hannah Moog. I think the way they have spoken about the Oracle and the Sage (and Helpers) is absolutely brilliant. My opinion is that their vision is highly inspired in illuminating the I Ching as outside the realm of religion, duality, the "collective ego," and all possible mental processes. I am delighted and grateful to the authors for providing such a succinct and unvarnished way of looking at the reality of the I Ching.

However, I was disappointed to find their commentary at times confounding, and personally of limited use. Often, there are many pages describing a hexagram or line belaboring a point I feel may have been a collective stumbling block for a previous generation, but which has little relevance for me. Each generation struggles against aspects of the "collective ego" that eventually become generally accepted. A political example of this would be women having the vote. At one time, it was accepted that women did not vote; then there was a huge furor and foment, raising public consciousness, and now we do not even consider it an issue that women vote.

Since the authors are only two people, they cannot be expected to have a fully universal viewpoint, but I think they have taken the idiosyncratic past the point where their book is applicable to all, and at times have overlooked the obvious. For instance, in the 10th Hexagram, the first line states "Simple conduct; progress without blame." Their commentary delineated three or four ways that ego prevents simple conduct, including feeling holier than thou and only being simple because you think it is the righteous thing to do. However, there is no mention given to the state or condition of actually being uncomplicated and genuine and the blameless ease with which you may progress as a result, and that shouldn't be overlooked. In many cases a line had only lengthy commentary that explained numerous potential false beliefs without acknowledging the gem-like sparkle that represents the essence of the line to me in my study of over a dozen different versions. I almost felt a puritanical avoidance of celebrating the highly positive lines, like ego might take the ball and run with it if given too much good news.

Conversely, I was oddly surprised to find benign and often brief commentary attached to some lines that have traditionally (and to me, intuitively) not bode at all well in terms of ego trips or the unfortunate "fate" that you can cause by acting in their thrall. I'm all for friendly versions of the I Ching, but I don't want a line glossed over, either. Perhaps that reflects the authors' experiential biases. A lot of commentary was describing "spells" associated with a certain personality type: people who have become suppressed and obedient, too accomodating and willing to deny themselves, too "nice." The book felt weighted in that direction. There are also plenty of problems generated by the other type of person, i.e. one whose inner ego response has been to be contrary, aggressive, self-centered and purposely uncooperative. I think the book would benefit by contributions, even indirectly, from people of other personality types, cultures and ages (I'm not being ageist: I'm 56 myself). Editorial assistance could have helped mitigate the authors' own conditioning and perceptions (including blind spots), resulting in a more concise book with wider application. For my tastes, I'd like to see it retain a measure of the epigrammatic, which might also increase its utility for more readers over time.

So, as genuinely grateful as I was for the briliant clarity of insight into the Oracle and the Sage, recognizing and using the "inner no" and the action of engaging the Helpers, I was disappointed and confused by the commentaries when I tried to actually use this version. It seemed like it was speaking around me an awful lot, not to me. I hope that this book can be rendered, refined, clarified and concentrated in a future edition to make it the amazing volume it promises to be.
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2002
The collaborative effort of I Ching experts and specialists Carol K. Anthony and Hanna Moog, I Ching: The Oracle Of The Cosmic Way is a fascinating new version and interpretation of this classic Chinese text and divination tool. An innovative method of accessing the wisdom of the Sage as revealed through the I Ching is presented, along with an extensive elaboration of the simplest lines of the I Ching to help make this ancient resource more familiar to non-specialist general readers of all backgrounds. I Ching: The Oracle Of The Cosmic Way is an enthusiastically recommended addition to any personal, professional, academic, or community library Metaphysical Studies collection.
on January 9, 2004
I have read many excellent interpretations of the I Ching by a variety of authors, including other books by Carol Anthony. This latest work, however, is in a league by itself. It is extremely thorough and thought provoking. A fabulous piece of work.
on February 8, 2011
If I had written a review based on my first impressions of "The Oracle of the Cosmic Way" I would have mentioned what a bunch of jumbled nonsense I thought it was. I sold my first two copies at a used book store. Yes, I actually bought two copies, one right after I sold the first. I bought a third copy and gave it away, and the fourth copy I threw into the top of my closet hoping to never see it again.

But the Oracle, being a living being and not a book, silently followed (stalked is a better word) me relentlessly wherever I went. When I prepared meals, it would tap me gently on the heart, when I watched television, it was always whispering through the back of my mind like a distant siren song. It often followed me to bed then tiptoed into my dreams where mysteries were enacted behind a misty veil. Until one day out of total emotional exhaustion, I decided to climb the high dive, hold my nose and jump into its pages of wise and loving advise.

I have few words for the rest of the story. The living oracle has incredibly transformed my life and provided me with the awareness of many invisible helpers that had been inactive in my life because I did not acknowledge or recognize their presence.

I cannot thank the authors, Carol K Anthony and Hanna Moog enough for listening to the Cosmic teacher and sharing its wisdom and loving watch care with the world.

Peace to all their readers.
on January 6, 2010
I have in my possession more than 11 different translations/interpretations of I Ching, and this one is the most disappointing and useless of them. To begin with, many scholars and researchers in the last few decades have come to the conclusion that the Wilhem-Baynes book is not the original I Ching (used primarily for divination), but rather a view filtered through and distorted by the Confucian school of thought which gave it a more philosophical and moral tone, not to be used for divination. This is quite evident by simply examining the commentaries (Book II and III) of Wilhelm-Baynes in relation to Book I (the I Ching itself)--it is hard to see much difference between them.

Now on top of that Confucian spin, we get this New Age spin which does not seem to have much of a foundation in philosophy, logic, history, or even in psychology--just like the rest of all that New-Age fluff and nonsense out there. They just seem to make things up as needed. I am not trying to shoot this book down just because it is non-scholarly or too spiritual. But rather because it is over 700 pages of rambling and beating around the bush without much substance--the same fluffy theme repeated over and over again in slightly different shades. I find it almost impossible to finish reading the material on even a single hexagram because it is too wordy, circular, repetitive, inconsistent, and highly subjective. It makes many assertions which cannot be proved or disproved, which means if applied to your own life experiences, this book would not offer any objective criterion to assess the validity of these assertions. Now, if some reviewers find this book to be the best book on I Ching ever written, more power to you and good luck; just please explain your reasons and conclusion in specific terms to us less intellectually or spiritually endowed.

In other words, let's say you consult this book to shed some light on a life situation and you act based on YOUR understanding of the vague, double-sided and subjective advice or assertions given in this book. But, the outcome of the situation fails to validate your own "objective" criteria and expectations. Then, I guess, you must just assume that your own view of the situation was misguided, and disregard your own criteria in favor of some vague subjective "inner" criterion, unknown to you even after reading this book, that reflects the wishes of the Cosmos and now you must just accept them as progress not yet appreciated. That is, you simply must have misinterpreted the advice given in this book and failed to look "inside;" otherwise you would not have had those expectations that failed to be realized. Objective results are unimportant, just adjust your "inner" view of situations.

If that is the case, and all is well with the world and is for the better, then what do you need the I Ching for? Just be positive, and if things go wrong or not as expected, then just view it as a blessing in disguise, and a hidden lesson in it that you must learn. This is the typical New Age thinking, which now tries to put a spin on the Confucian I Ching to present it as a validation of the New Age thinking--a double-spin I Ching.

Let's just keep in mind that the foundation of the Chinese metaphysics was based on the ideas that there are both good and evil (yin and yang duality) in the cosmos, that nothing is pure yin or pure yang (i.e., the cosmos cannot be all good and no evil), and that yin and yang are constantly in ebb and flow (i.e., evil will pay you a visit at times). The ancient Chinese believed that both good and evil could be lurking around the corner in their struggle and grind of daily life and invented I Ching as a tool to prepare them to deal with the unknown coming up on the horizon. Unlike our contemporary New-Age friends, they did not have the luxury of time to engage in exercises in philosophical/spiritual futility. Things they invented were of practical value, and not meant for 'spiritual' pursuit to tame their ego, or see the positive in disasters that plagued them. Rather, they tried to foresee disasters ahead of time and avoid them or prepare for them. And to do that, their I Ching had to be clear, specific, and objective--all the things that the book being reviewed here is not, I am sorry to say!

There are much better I Ching books out there. If you are looking for something concise, practical, and to the point, by all means try The Everyday I Ching by Sarah Dening which is a far, far, far better book than this. You may also want to consider Total I Ching by Stephen Karcher. Another favorite of mine is Rediscovering the I Ching by Greg Whincup which gives you a more analytical approach. Also I Ching by Kerson and Rosemary Huang is worth having for it is an attempt to strip off the Confucian adulteration of I Ching. Also keep in mind that no single I Ching book can give you all the answers you are looking for as each book has a certain unique approach.
on February 8, 2008
This new translation of the I Ching is transformational. The authors, through consultation with the Sage, have developed a method of approaching and interacting with the Oracle that allows for exponentially increased understanding. The feudal overlay that permeated the Wilhelm and all previous English translations has been transcended, allowing for a truly creative partnership with the Cosmos. Are you ready to step up to the plate? This oracle will give you invaluable guidance.