Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 84 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 94 reviews
on September 30, 2014
I choose these boots based on the positive ratings. I was willing to pay $194 for a good pair of boots for my husband in hopes that they would last longer than the normal boots we would purchase. Although he was initially happy with the look and feel of these boots, after only one month of wear the seam on the inner side of the right boot is already coming apart. Obviously this is a defect. After notifying Chippewa directly, they suggested notifying Amazon to see what they have to say. Obviously they are not very concerned with the quality of their products. Amazon on the other hand was awesome to work with. They responded that they will do what they can to make this right. Thanks Amazon!
on December 30, 2015
My husband found this boot a bit rigid at first. We expected it, due to the reviews here, but it hurt his ankle for two weeks. It was largely due to the tongue on one of the boots, which didnt fold down properly (defect, perhaps). After that, however, the boots seemed to break in just fine and my husband liked them.

Fast forward 3 months... My husband told me that the soles are worn down and last night he informed me that the heel of one boot has detached from the sole. We expected these boots to last longer than 3 months- especially at over $300. My husband has been buying the Irish Setter Elk Trackers for years, but wanted a boot with vibram soles so we tried these. Perhaps the vibram soles aren't as good of quality as they used to be. Either way, we aren't pleased with the durability of this boot.

I should add that these are his work boots, so he wears them 5 out of 7 days. Nonetheless, he's had cheaper boots last longer than these.
review image review image
on November 25, 2016
These are the best winter boots I've ever owned!!! I am a farmer in upstate NY where it gets cold with a lot of snow. While I haven't had these that long, I've spent many many hours, hunting deer this year through about a foot of snow without a problem. I have always had trouble keeping my feet warm but no issues with with these boots and have kept my feet dry, even after walking through the creek several times! I should say that before I wore these, I spent an hour sealing these with Snow-Seal which I have always used and highly recommend. I'm sure they were waterproof, but sealing them was extra insurance and protection! My only complaint is that Amazon doesn't offer these in size 13 3E, or 14 so these were a little tighter and break in was rough on my feet. I'm hard on boots by trade but there's no doubt that I will get many winters out these and I highly recommend them to anyone that has to work out in the cold! Also, they are made in the good ol USA!!! On a side note...i'd like to give Amazon a 5 star rating. I ordered these about 5pm one night with 1 day shipping and they arrived 3pm the very next day. You can't beat that!!!
on December 29, 2015
Don't order these. The negative reviews are right; you will be disappointed. I would give a 0 star review if I could, and I don't really like leaving negative reviews. Wanted to love them!

Ordered these boots for my husband because in Colorado you need a serious snow boot.Despite the spelling error in the title (really Amazon? Waterprrof?) I decided to give them a try.

Well, I regret it. They are SO small and narrow for the size! They look huge but none of the space is actually in the boot, they're just clunky. Ordered a 10 EEE and they fit much more like a 9 D.

The leather is really scuffed up. Looks bad, but I wouldn't mind too much if the boots were good otherwise. But they're not.

The Vibram sole is heavy and grippy but there's tons of extra plastic bits hanging off! Where's the quality control? I've never seen a Vibram sole look so shoddy.

The laces are really cheap too. But here's what takes the cake! One of the lace rivets is even ON BACKWARDS! Seriously?!

Did anyone at Chippewa or Amazon even LOOK at these boots?! They are honestly just not good quality...and I order shoes from Amazon regularly. So much for that American craftsmanship, Chippewa! I certainly won't be giving your boots another try.

Adding a photo showing some of the bigger scratches (there are lots more!) and the backwards rivet, right next to that Chippewa tag!
review image
on March 18, 2015
Would give these shoes 1 star based on my first pair, but I'll explain below.

It's odd to me that nobody mentions the price of these shoes in their reviews - definitely not for the feint of heart. That being said, the first pair I received did not live up to expectations by a long shot. The build quality of the shoe was atrocious: white stitching on the sole was inconsistent; some stitches 2 mm, some 1 mm. The stitching on the uppers were stopped, then started again. The tongue on the right shoe had too much excess leather so it hurt my shank when I tightened the laces. The leather also had noticeable sand marks, like it was sanded with 60 grit sandpaper. $300 for this kind of workmanship??? Totally unacceptable. Since the shoe was off in size, I decided to give Chippewa another chance and ordered another pair and went back down to my normal shoe size but in EEE. My experience is that the shoemaker who built your shoe - whether in China or US or Italy - has everything to do with the build quality. I have a pair of Chinese-made Wolverines that are impeccable in stitching and worksmanship.

Received the 2nd pair yesterday and this is more like it! Shoes have uniform stitching throughout and better finish on the leather. Even the shearling liner is better dressed down. Both shoes are very consistent and fit like gloves. Here are some pros and cons to these shoes:

Cons: These are heavy, bulky shoes. Probably overkill for my purposes (winter travel in Hokkaido, Japan, where temps don't drop below 10 F, but lotta snow). Insulation is not synthetic material like Thinsulate so I wonder how well it will wear. The shoe does not use GoreTex either for waterproofing so I'm also wondering how well it will breath. However this is all in keeping with the 'old school' charm of the shoe. Would like a lighter color of brown on the shoe but I realize it's already been Sno-Sealed which is why the leather is so dark. Also Chippewa does not stock these shoes. After placing an order with Amazon, the shoes are shipped in a week or two so expect a wait.

Pros: Very thick leather; thickest I've seen on a shoe, which account for the weight. Yet the leather is very soft and when I cinch both shoes up, I don't have rubbing or pressing of the tongues or top part of the boots on my shank when I walk; the shoes almost seem broken in already. As mentioned earlier, the shoes are already Sno-Sealed so no need to waterproof further. The rubber on the huge Vibram soles is pretty sticky; traction on ice is to be determined. Overall look of the shoes in regard to build quality and construction I would say validate the $300 price.

I always wanted to own a pair of old school shoes made in the USA/Italy/Germany with quality leather so I decided to go ahead and keep this pair for my Hokkaido trips. Because the leather is already quite soft, the 2-hr airline trips to Hokkaido from Tokyo won't seem too uncomfortable. Even Meindl and Vasque are making shoes in China these days and if you are gonna drop $180-225 for imported shoes the money is best put towards the USA Chippewas. My pair do look so nice you kinda don't want to wear them.

As for sizing, I tried going one size up as some reviewers suggested and did not work for me. I went back to my usual size but went with EEE, which fits perfect, with medium weight socks. As these shoes are quite bulky, you don't want to go much oversize as when you lace them up the fit gets a bit sloppy, besides the added weight and bulk. I could probably go with lightweight socks down the line if I wish, as I will be wearing Damart thermal underwear and the shearling lining on the shoes are pretty warm.
on May 18, 2013
I live in northern Canada. I've gone through several pairs of winter boots in my lifetime. These Chippewa Arctic 50's are by far the highest quality, nicest looking and among the warmest boots I've owned. I did have to send my first pair back and exchange them for a half size bigger and "extra wide". I found they fit slightly small and quite narrow. The other pair arrived fitting perfectly. I believe that if I put leather treatment on these boots, they will outlast me. Outstanding!
on February 3, 2014
I work construction in Connecticut and need a warm comfortable boot. This boot is great in 0 degrees, in the snow and walking on ice. I think it will last a long time due to the quality and thickness of the leather. The boots fit well right out of the box. I'm not pulling the laces tight yet to give the leather time to break in a little. These boots are not as bulky as the Sorel boots I have for really cold weather.
on September 30, 2015
This Is my second set of chippewa boots I have had my first pair for over 10 years and they are still going strong. I bought these to use strictly as my cold weather hunting boot. I usually wear a size 10d I went with the 10.5 EEE and they fit great with a thin and thick wool socks. My first pair of chippewa boots were size 10 EEE and found it to be the perfect width. They seem to be very well made boot still made in the usa I had to send back my first pair because of defective stitching on the sole the replacement pair was good. I really like the wool lining and the wool insoles witch they include a extra pair. I think they will be a great hunting boot in the cold of northern MI Will have to see how the soles grip and how the waterproofing is 5 stars
on January 13, 2017
Really well made, these boots are replacing old tired hiking boots used for work - a real treat to have these new works of art. Supposed to be work boots but I find myself picking them for my walks with the dog on the trails (Santa Fe, New Mexico). Our terrain and relatively mild winter weather are no match for these boots. Great fit, super comfortable and secure. Fortunately, they will be too warm for summer work so I will have to find a lighter pair of shoes as well. Checking out the Chippewa line first.
on February 27, 2016
So let me be clear, I'm not a Logger in Alaska or a Oil Rig working in North Dakota...I sell software...from my house. I wear these on weekends to walk my dogs in the snow. So I was more than a little peeved to see the sole rip away from the heel within 30 days of receiving them. I gave them 2 stars instead of 1 because I reaaaaaally want them to be as awesome as all the 5 Star-ers say they are. So...I'm getting them replaced hoping that maybe the robot that squirts the glue was having a bad day on this pair. Will update this review once I've broken in the new ones.

UPDATE: 10.9.2016, replacement pair work perfect so 5 Stars!
review image review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.