Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
disk only tested and work
Combining the action/adventure and racing genres, Chocobo Racing follows in the footsteps of popular "car-toon" titles Crash Team Racing and Mario Kart. While the cutesy bird character Chocobo lacks the mainstream notoriety of Mario or Crash, the kooky creature will likely appeal to fans of the popular Final Fantasy series. Chocobo makes a successful flight from sidekick to star in this quirky racer, which features seven competing cartoon characters including White Mage, Mog, and Golem.
All of the racing characters possess special powers and unique tracks designed around their personas. Chocobo Racing contains five challenging racing modes, including grand prix (four-track tournament), time attack, versus (two-player racing), relay race, and story mode. We were particularly intrigued by the story mode, which places Chocobo in an old-fashioned pop-up storybook as he aims to collect several scattered blue crystals.
We also liked the high replay value of this game. For example, a racing victory may reward players with the ability to customize a character. Chocobo Racing is far from a sophisticated racer--and, in fact, that is part of the appeal. This is an easy game to learn, so younger players can pick up a controller and play with little trouble. Still, plenty of challenges hide in the detailed tracks, which are filled with time-zapping traps and treacherous curves. --Carrie Bell
- Diverse tracks and characters
- Will appeal to fans of Crash Team Racing and Mario Kart
- Weak steering and vehicle control
- Cartoon theme may not appeal to die-hard racing fans
- Not compatible with multiplayer adapter, so simultaneous racing is limited to 2 players
Top Customer Reviews
- The graphics are about average in the racing, to above average in the movies.
- The controls are responsive and adequate.
- The game is well-balanced, with easy modes for less experienced players, and hard modes. The story mode is a little cheesy, but fun nonetheless.
- The music and sounds blend in with the game well.
- You can get this game very cheap, compared to other racing games.
- It is a lot of fun to race against other players (unfortunately, more than 2 human players are not supported), but the AI of the game is also challenging.