Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 76 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 119 reviews
on June 4, 2017
I love the cake mix doctor I have this I have people who want Texas cake now i have the book I have alot of cookbooks hers I keep in my kitchen
on September 6, 2012
I was always a snobby from scratch baker until I discovered the Cake Dr. Books.; now I use cake mixes all the time. The secret is "doctoring" them per her recipes, and making the frosting instead of using the canned chemical junk. The combination of enhanced mix cakes plus homemade frosting is terrific. I have made her white chocolate pound cake with a lemon glaze that was raved about. The Kahlua cake and the mint chocolate cakes are also fabulous. Make no mistake-even though using mixes is a shortcut you have to add ingredients like sour cream, cream cheese, extra eggs, to make them rich and to eliminate the chemical taste. Using a mix is a time saver over from-scratch baking, but the big advantages of using mixes (in my opinion) are not only the convenience, but the consistent results, you can count on 'em to turn out the same each time. You can't just dump the mix in a bowl following the back of box instructions and throw canned frosting on top and expect it to taste good. The key to scrumptious cake mix cakes is following the Cake Dr.'s recipes and making homemade frosting, and her frosting recipes are delicious. The only "con" is that there isn't a picture of every cake; that's not a problem for me but I know it may be for some people.
on March 18, 2016
I'm a guy that likes to bake in my spare time and found this book very useful. I really like baking "from scratch" but I have a problem keeping things tidy while doing so - sometimes my kitchen looks like a flour factory exploded in it. This book give great tips on making a better tasting cake from a mix,which helps keep things much neater.I really liked the section on icings and frostings which, to me, which are essential for a good cake (on most cakes).
This book is helpful and priced right from Amazon.
on February 4, 2013
I've attended some rudimentary culinary classes at culinary school in the states before I had to move to Tokyo, so I know some basic cooking and baking skills.

I originally thought that this book would be able to create cakes that would taste good enough to be served without having to go through the delicate and time consuming labor of making one from scratch, etc. The one I cooked was the Triple Decker Raspberry Chocolate (w/ Ganache) cake and hmm.... it turned out to be way too moist and pudding-like. Also, the recipe called for 3/4 cup cream to 8 oz of chocolate, but I think it should've been more like 1 cup of cream to 8 oz of chocolate, it just wasn't enough to be "pour"able on top of the cake; the ganache was too solid due to not enough cream, like the ganache used for making chocolate truffle fillings. The recipe also requested too much sour cream, which I suspect was why the cake was too moist. I think 1/2 cup sour cream would've been better than 1 cup.

I wouldn't recommend this book because the measurements are kind of off.
VINE VOICEon May 12, 2009
I love to bake. As a mom of young kids, it is tough to bake complicated recipes. This book is perfect for me and I have never had a recipe fail. I have tweaked the recipes to my liking - I use whatever mixes I have on hand, regardless of whether the recipe says the mixes should or should not have pudding included. I also add pudding to the mixes if the recipe calls for it, regardless of the type of mix. Lastly, I only add milk in lieu of water to give the recipes that extra homemade taste. The cook book also gives some great ideas for creating your own recipes.
on March 3, 2017
Excellent for chocolate lovers!!!!!
on March 4, 2017
my wife very happy w this book
on April 7, 2017
Anything from book is wonderful!
on April 26, 2011
There is nothing wrong with baking with a cake mix. I have made two recipes from the book and they are both really tasty: triple decker raspberry chocolate cake and chunky walnut chocolate cookies. The cookies were really cheap ($) and delicious and the cake turned out professional looking. Very easy to follow, it is also easy to see what modifications need to be made for the regular "Cake Mix Doctor" book that the author published previously. Buy this book, or the other one and you won't regret it.

UPDATE
I have made the White Chocolate Peach and Raspberry Cupcakes, White Chocolate Pound Cupcake with caramel frosting, and the Darn Good Chocolate (Cup)cake with Marta's Chocolate Frosting. They were very good, but one thing is that the frostings never take as long as it says in the instructions. If it says 10 minutes, I would say plan for 20.
on June 1, 2011
This was the second Cake Mix Doctor book I purchased (the original being my first), and I loved it almost as much as the original. You will find that maybe just a few cake recipes have been copied over from the first, but that's because they were chocolate and should be in here obviously. The 'fan favorite' is the German Chocolate cake. I am normally a from-scratch baker and wouldn't have never dreamed of ever using canned frosting on a cake...but IN the cake yielded amazing results! This cake is a little sweet for me a I prefer deep, dark chocolate butter cakes, but everyone else loves when I make it. And not all the cake recipes are for dark chocolate cakes. There are even some white chocolate recipes and frostings thrown into the mix as well. Lots of great variety even though this is a 'chocolate' cake book.