Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 11-20 of 58 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 83 reviews
on September 14, 2015
There are about 5 pages of usable take-away information in this book. The rest is just filler material.
on April 16, 2016
Interesting read. A great addition to anyone's library that is interested in sport psychology and the inner workings of an athlete's mind
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2011
How does your mind help to enhance your "choking" ability? I play a lot of tennis and believe I have a problem "choking" under pressure. I bought this book looking for help. However, this is a very intellectual discussion of the matter which was far beyond what I was looking for. Not that that's bad, just not what I needed or wanted. So after reading/scanning the many studies and subjects like test taking that while interesting, were not really relevant to what I wanted, I finally found the subject matter I was looking for.

There was good practical application of how to cure these problems. But while this is a short book, the time spent on this subject was exceedingly short.

I'm certainly not trying to say this is a bad book. What I am suggesting by clearly stating what I wanted out of this book is that it wasn't worth the reading time to get there. If you are looking for a more academic study of the workings of the brain in choking including clinical trials and analysis, this is your book.
on March 12, 2015
I've tried to read this book 3 times. I'm sure the author has a point, if I could just FIND IT.
on May 7, 2016
gave to Grandson....a baseball player...anything that can help....
on October 15, 2016
Love it
Do you want to ace the big test, make the game winning shot or close the biggest deal of your career? Or does the fear of failing when it matters most hold sway over your thoughts everywhere from the classroom, the playing field and the boardroom? Either way, Sian Beilock's Choke will show you not only why we choke under pressure, but more importantly what we can do to steel ourselves and prepare to succeed when it's crunch time.

Based on research from the fields of psychology, neuroscience, sport science and human performance, Beilock presents the latest research to help readers prevent choking, which she describes as not only poor performance under pressure, but suboptimal performance. This is an important distinction that informs the rest of the book.

Just the tips on pages 174, 232 and 257 of the paperback edition on ensuring success under stress, combating performance flops and preventing choking respectively are worth the price of the book. But after discussing the role of practice (especially under stress), tactics to overcome stereotypes (the power of writing) and even meditation, Beilock has written a great book that can help anyone achieve the success they know they have earned, but have struggled to achieve because of choking when it counts.
on May 23, 2016
 “Ever since I was young I have been intrigued by amazing performances—at the Olympics, in the orchestra pit, and even my friend Abby’s performance on the LSAT. How do people go about turning it on when it counts the most? Why do some thrive while others falter when the stakes are high and everyone is focused on their every move? As we know, sometimes that one instance of performance—one race, one test, one presentation—can change an entire life or a career trajectory forever. ...

In Choke we will explore how performance in the classroom is tied to performance on the basketball court or orchestra pit and whether success in one arena carries implications for skill execution in another. We will ask why the mere mention of differences between the sexes in math ability disrupts the quantitative exam performance of a female test taker and we will delve into other activities where similar phenomena occur. Why are those high-powered students—with the most knowledge and skill—most likely to choke under the pressure of a big exam? Do these same folks also choke in sports? Can calling a ‘time-out’ immediately before a game-winning field goal in football reduce a kicker’s success or ‘ice’ him? Why does icing work and can a politician be iced before giving an important speech? Choke tells the stories of the science behind these human performances and others as it explains what the secrets of the brain can teach us about our own success and failure at work and at play.”

~ Sian Beilock from Choke

Sian Beilock is one of the world’s leading researchers studying the science of optimal human performance.

In fact, her lab at the University of Chicago where she is a Professor is called the Human Performance Lab. (<— Awesome.)

In this book, she walks us through a range of research studies she and her colleagues have conducted to help us get a better understanding of why, under pressure and when it matters most, some of us choke. And, of course, Sian provides a range of tips on what we can do about it.

I'm excited to share some of my favorite Big Ideas:

1. What Is Choking? - Pressure --> Perform sub-optimally.
2. Why Do We Choke? - Worry doesn't help.
3. Ultimate Worry Vacuum - = Meditation. Train your mind!
4. Practice Under Pressure - Makes perfect.
5. Antidote to Exam Choking - More pressure practice.

Here’s to Optimal Performance: Doing our best when it matters most! (Master Class soon! :)

More goodness— including PhilosophersNotes on 300+ books in our ​*OPTIMIZE*​ membership program. Find out more at brianjohnson . me.
on February 21, 2013
My brother recommended the book because I am 68 years old and a first semester music student at our local University. I literally "choke" when performing in class. Thank you for the much needed information in the book.
on October 12, 2010
My interest is about stress management, concentration and performance. I have read many books on these topics and use golf to experiment with what I read. Because of her research on golf I have been waiting for the first book of Sian Beilock for over a year. And it has been very worthwhile. Her explanation on how we choke is great, the way she explains working memory and the prefrontal cortex brought me new insights and a better understanding. Not all conclusions and advice in the book are new and surprising but many are. And yes the tips do make a difference. To prove my point, using her tips on my last round of golf brought me my second birdie of the year.
For a next book I hope Ms. Beilock will focus more more on personalized analysis.