Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$21.83+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on December 23, 2011
I have bought 3 books. "Paws to Consider," "Choosing a Dog for Dummies," and "The right dog for you"

When it came to helping me choose a dog breed, I found "Paws to Consider" to be the best.

"Choosing a Dog for Dummies" has a lot of great information. On top of its large dog breed section it has information on medical terms, how to look at good places to find dogs, and some things for preparing for a new dog. I will use this book in the future. However, as far as helping me choose a dog, this book did not help narrow down the choices. The dog breeds are broken into chapters but not as helpful as "Paws to Consider." If you look at the Table of Contents, you will see how a large part of the book is more focused on other (although important) aspects of dog ownership.

I found that I did not take advantage of the "Look Inside" feature. However, I do not regret my purchases. I found each of them are useful in their own way. In conclusion, LOOK at the table of contents and see if the book is laid out the way you like it.

Side Note:I also wrote reviews for the other books if you are curious about my thoughts on the other books.
on March 28, 2017
This is the best reference manual ever. I used it when looking for our two dogs. It took a year to decide which breed would be right for us. I have gone on to read about all the dogs whenever someone brings up interest in one. I bought a few for friends. The way they describe each facet of a dogs personality is fantastic. So helpful.
on March 31, 2013
I got this book after someone recommended it to me. It is totally packed with great information that every dog or puppy buyer needs to know. I was looking for the perfect apartment dog for me and I found it easily, just following the instructions in this book. If you ever can't decide between two or more breeds or have no idea what kind of dog might be best for you, get this book.
on March 6, 2013
I have found this book useful in confirming the dog I will be getting. It is very thorough and I recommend its purchase to anyone wanting to make a sound decision on getting a new family member.
on November 1, 2013
Has an explanation for every breed, I like it very much, sometimes when I see a dog on the street I come to my book and find more about it
on September 28, 2006
This book is a Godsend for folks trying to decide which is the right breed of dog for them. Concise yet complete, and very readable. You sit down intending to glance through your new book, and end up reading it cover-to-cover (often laughing out loud). You now have a short list of possible breeds, and you know just what to do next, to find your dog. Great book for dog-hunters!
on September 26, 2001
As the author of this book, of course, I think it's great! Seriously, this book helps make researching a breed fun. I surveyed long-time owners and breeders of each breed, asking them to tell me the truth to avoid "mistake" purchases. This, in turn, will eliminate families with broken hearts and bewildered homeless dogs. In addition to the first time buyer, "Choosing a Dog for Dummies" also helps those looking for a second breed or someone who does breed referral or works in shelters.
on March 4, 2010
I really liked this book. It really gives you all of the infromation you need to know or did not think about when getting a dog. It is a wonderful book.
on November 3, 2006
Like the easy to find requirements for each breed.
on December 17, 2012
I bought 2 other books on selecting a family dog and this book is a copy of one of them. There is some other info but if you buy it on its own it might be OK, just don't buy the 3 books together. In the Breed selection it is a exact replica of one of the other books.