Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 71 reviews
on June 1, 2010
I am so happy that Chords of Strength is finally here. What an amazing book by an amazing person. The writing is so "David" and feels like he could be sitting and talking to you. David really understands the path of his life so far and expresses how he has been led along this path with it's bumps, curves, turns and detours. For such a young man David has a lot to teach each and every one of us about our own lives. I challenge everyone to take the time to read this wonderful book. Oh, yeah, listen to David's music, too. His voice will fill your heart.
on June 3, 2010
I must confess upfront that I am huge fan of David Archuleta. Frankly, his music and how he presents it makes me happy. Let's face it, it's not often you can say that about a current singer/songwriter.

All that being said, I truly enjoyed Chords of Strength. I already knew a lot of little details (i.e. that he had been on Star Search, etc) but it was nice to see all of the little subtleties here. How his family came to be members of the LDS church, for example. As David says in this memoir, who better to tell his story than himself?

I assumed when I heard David was writing a memoir that it would be inspirational, but I'm not sure I was expecting it to be SO moving. I don't often read stories about one's personal faith, so my context is limited, but I have never read someone talk so frankly about what God has done for them and how they try to incorporate Him in all that they do.

Many things David shares are deeply private. Like how he overcame his uncertainties about trying out for American Idol (which I won't spoil here). Although you expect a memoir to be, well, personal, David went beyond the call of duty to let the reader feel at home. Like one of the reviewers so aptly put it, it's like he is talking to you.

Can someone who has never heard of David Archuleta enjoy Chords of Strength? Certainly! You do not have to know anything about David to read this book and come away with both an understanding of who he is, where he has come from and be inspired.

Is it appropriate for all ages? Yes! I only wish I had read something like Chords while still school age!

How's the writing? It's David and yup he's spacey sometimes, but it's what makes his music and this book so endearing.
on June 8, 2010
I didn't know what to expect from a book written by David. I knew it was be wonderful, but I didn't realize how inspiring it would be. I am not a teenager, but I can hear David saying all these words. If you follow David at all(I have for two years), you can tell he is saying every word. It is from his heart.
He is a very private person and he doesn't get into "family" issues. What he does do is open his heart to the reader and shares who he is. Where he came from and What he wants to become. At 19 he is a singer/songwriter/and now author!!
I would recommend this book to people of all ages.
BJC
on June 12, 2010
This book is as inspiring as I knew it would be, based on the David that we all have come to know. I laughed a lot and cried a bit too, switching back and forth from one emotion to the other. I especially found myself in tears, or fighting to hold them back, as I read parallels relating to my own life when I was his age. I could relate to the emotion one feels when singing and how great it felt when you knew others were being blessed by it, for I too was a singer from a very young age. There is no doubting the sincerity of every word as David conveyed to us the events as they unfolded throughout the book. You could really feel the love. The fact is that I wish everyone, both young and old, could be like David. If the world were like him, we wouldn't be in the mess that we're in today. This book is gentle and easy to read. It is filled with hope and yields the courage that is inspiring to us all. You'll experience a genuine love from a young man who has learned its value early in life and will hold it dear to the end. Although I am many years his senior, I assure you that when I grow up, I definitely want to be like Archie. Thanks David :)
on June 5, 2010
by how much this book affected me. I have been David's fan since the early rounds of Idol season 7, and knew some of his story. Still, I couldn't put the book down once I started reading. David has a unique and rare way of looking at the world -- I am not at all surprised that the book isn't a 'tell-all' about his dad or anyone else in his world, because that isn't David, but I guess I am surprised at how this 19 year old person manages to treat everyone in his world with so much love and respect. I found myself chuckling in quite a few places and crying from profound emotion in quite a few more. I've been at David's concerts, too, and loved reading the parts where he shared his ideas about connecting with his audience.

I'm fresh off my first read and might give it some time before diving in again, but I know that I'll read this one again, many times.
on June 29, 2010
I truly enjoyed reading David's "Chords of Strength" which exemplifies in writing all what is perceived in public about David. This young man really seems to have his priorities in order. There is very little of "I" or "me" in this book; instead, David gives so much credit to others and their accomplishments, as well as how these people and events have influenced him to be the person he is. He is realistic about challenges that have been and will come in the future, but shows how the "grounding" effects of his faith, family, and friends which shape his values and character will most certainly help him through them.

The book is full of interesting details about his early life, his family, the Star Search and American Idol experiences, as well as bouts with illness and insecurity. Since American Idol is my point of reference of David's progression musically and emotionally, this book shows how far this young man has come in the last few years, and how far he's certain to go, given the mature nature of his thoughts and comments on his journey thus far.

Everyone should give this book a good read. It's funny, informative, thoughtful, philosophical, and very genuine.
on September 27, 2010
I'm a big David Archuleta fan, yet I wanted to know more about the man behind the music,so I bought this book. If you want to know him more as a person, this book would not help! I finished reading it tonight and I can tell you that the book is basically a detailed journey of him entering American Idol and then going on tour.He speaks of the trials and tribulations he faced while competing as an Idol contestant and how he gained self-belief through the support of God and his family. The first few chapters of the book are the only chapters which 'somewhat' focus on his personal-life. In the early chapters he talks about his family background and the what music means to his family. Then before you know it ,David begins his journey as a musician. Starting with 'star search' and finishing with american idol and his debut album. If you want to know more about the 'professional-life' of David Archuleta buy this book,because this is what it deals with-David the 'musician'.
on July 22, 2010
There are so much things to say about this book that I don't even know where to begin. Normally, this book should be a biography of David but it's so much more than that. The book is ... how can I say it ...., "so David" (fans know what I'm talking about lol !). It shows how down-to-earth he is and how he never takes anything for granted. He keeps on working harder everytime to outdo himself even if he has fears and doubts.
This book will make you think about yourself, your life, your goals and what you can do to make the world a better place. We're always chasing money and stuff like that but we always need those times alone to think about the real meaning of life. That's what David is doing in this book. It's like you're getting a piece of his soul. I remember after reading the book I got so emotional. The last sentence of the book was "Remember, even when you can't sing, you can always plant a tree". In fact, you read and finish the book, you may think "David is such a good person" but you'll think more about yourself and your life than about David. That's certainly what he wanted to do : to share his story to inspire people and to not make people think he's so great. That's why I respect him as an artist and especially as a person. We really need more people like David on this earth.
on June 30, 2010
I bought David Archuleta's book because I was interested in learning about his vocal chord paralysis. In the book, he seemed really resigned to the fact that he may never sing again after learning of his condition. However, he loved singing so much he can't leave it alone although he said he struggled through a song during those years. It's amazing how far he has come along. This young man is a very fine human being. I believe people will like this book because 1)it's easy to read and you can finish it in a few hours (good for summer), 2)he spoke plainly and honestly about his feelings and his experiences when he was little, during his Star Search years, and American Idol, 3) it's very inspirational in the sense that at such a young age he seemed to have found his purpose in life, 4) he really is a very strong willed person in his mild ways (he calls it perseverance). I'm sure you will find plenty more reasons why people would like this book after you've read it.
on June 12, 2010
There is just something about David Archuleta that one can never forget!! Whether you first saw him sing Imagine on American Idol, listened to his albums, saw him in concert or now reading his book. He leaves something indelible on your heart and mind. This book is no different. It is an open, honest look at a young man's hopes and desires for a life of singing that he thought may not ever be able to happen. And although, young he is, the book often gives a glimpse into the older than his years insight into life's ups and downs and the surprises that can happen if you dream hard and work even harder. Chords of Strength is a good book to give to young people who think that their dreams might never be realized! Good job, Mr. David Archuleta!