Chris Rock - Bigger and Blacker
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
"The funniest man in America" according to Time magazine and Vanity Fair, presents an hour of "riotously funny" (Entertainment Weekly) and "breathtakingly provocative" (Chicago Sun-Times) outstanding stand-up comedy.]]>
Top Customer Reviews
If you want intelligent comedy, this is the video for you! However, be forewarned that Chris Rock has a penchant for using the "f" word when emphasizing points, which some may find annoying after a while, and he is bound to say something that may offend someone. Nonetheless, I think that's what makes Chris Rock great and universal. Although Chris caters to an African-American audience, he ultimately has ideas that speaks to all segments of society- conservatives, liberals, white/black/asian/latino, homosexual, religious, non-religious, etc. A view that one segment of society finds appealing is bound to be held in disdain by another.
I must admit, in the past year that I've become a Chris Rock fan, I've found it difficult to watch other comedians. Few are as hard-hitting as Chris Rock. Get this video to see what I mean! While you are at it, get "Bring the Pain"- this one packs even more punch than "Bigger and Blacker".
Rock lays the smack down on topics such as school violence, gun control, irresponsible parents, neglected fathers, infidelity, bigotry, and the poor state of health care. His assertions are blunt, bold, and are fired from point-blank: "A man is only as faithful as his options", "Men lie but women are much bigger liars", "Blacks and whites have little to complain about, consider the state of Native Americans".
All of Rock's material is solid and most of it is intelligent and thought-provoking. He slips into crudeness only briefly as he suggests that the blind be assigned to midgets instead of seeing-eye dogs and when he mentions his contempt for women that don't provide oral servicing. Also, he picks on white people a little, but it is not really funny like when Richard Pryor teased white people. These minor flaws are certainly not deal breakers.
Rock is providing a solid hour of comedy here. He has a superb rapport with his audience and his delivery is very good overall with only a couple instances of repeating himself or otherwise stalling as he gathers his thoughts. This is an adult show and profanity is used liberally, but not quite what I would consider gratuitously. Overall this is a very good show that all fans of standup comedy, should consider viewing. Chris Rock deserves to go home to the big piece of chicken (inside joke-watch the show).
1) Profanity -- quite a bit of it. If you laugh at the mere thought or sound of profanity, buy this DVD. But in reality, the raw language is irrelevant. Watch the intensity of the delivery and pay attention to the ideas surrounding the "bad" words.
2) Social/Political Commentary from one man's perspective -- A LOT of it.
Chris Rock, as he continually states either directly or indirectly, is a "law and order conservative" (well, mostly order!) and a "moral" liberal. His moral liberalism is a bit extreme for most people, but it is refreshingly consistent and counterbalances the traditional notion of "liberal" tolerance with the libertarian ideal of being accountable for one's actions. Oh, and by the way, there are no victims in Chris Rock's universe. If you dislike "Victim" mentality, you will find it well dismissed here.
3) Social/Racial Commentary from a black man's perspective -- There is a fair amount of this in Bigger and Blacker, but nothing earth shaking. Although he is clearly not pleased to be directly on the negative end of racial profiling, Rock typically redirects his racial commentary into larger themes (violence, hypocrisy, value systems...).
4) About Men and Women -- Who are we, together and apart? These subjects are always fertile ground for comedy. Although he attempts to soften the blows by continued professions of his love for women, Chris's take on women in general is pretty harsh, while not quite so hard, nor as detailed on men. Rock has a clear disdain for absentee fathers, but men get a pass on most of their behaviors -- behaviors that are excused as "understandable" (if not necessarily right) attempts to get around intolerable actions of women.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Chris Rock is probably the most daring and audacious comedian of his generation.Published 25 days ago by Pat Rocchi
Chris Rock's stellar performance made this DVD set a must have for all students of comedy and theatre. What a great buy!Published 1 month ago by David
One of the best shows of all time. Chris Rock might be the best ever in terms of SpecialsPublished 5 months ago by Amazon Customer
I loved it. Chris Rock never stops being funny.
Even though this performance is rather old
It's not dated.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Comedy & Spoken Word
- Movies & TV > African American Cinema
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Arts & Entertainment
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > HBO > All HBO Titles
- Movies & TV > HBO > HBO Documentary
- Movies & TV > HBO > HBO Stand-Up Comedy
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > Rock, Chris
- Movies & TV > TV