Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jon Batiste STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on October 4, 2017
I've always liked reading Anne Rice novels. This is quite a turn from the previous subject matter that I'm used to from her. This is a marvelous story of Jesus as a child growing up not realizing his true nature. An almost impossible blending of fact and fiction, this book hits the mark. I really enjoyed this reverent and seemingly historically accurate account of the very early life of Jesus Christ. Through extensive research and a wonderful imagination, Anne Rice brings to life a story that, I at least, have never heard. I don't think you will be disappointed.
on December 9, 2016
First and foremost this takes one , anyone on a journey that reveals and enlightens. It goes beyond the brief New Testament stories of the flight to Egypt and the presentation to a view that gives a glimpse of the Divine Child's emerging understanding of his purpose and divinity. Anne Rice's story telling and vivid picture of the events in Jesus's childhood is just amazing. Enjoy this familiar story you may have never heard before.
on April 16, 2008
Like most here have said, the second-half of the book was clearly the most interesting. When news came to the village that John the Baptist had come out of the wilderness and was fulfilling the Prophecy, I actually began to shake, anticipating Yeshua's trip to the river. It's the kind of shake you get when you're a little too cold, but nothing I could do would stop the shaking! Finally, when he was baptised and began his journey into the wilderness, I calmed down. His conversations with Satan were phenominal! What an imagination to build that from the scriptures!

My favorite line from the entire book came at the onset of his journey into the desert: "Well, now I knew just what it meant to be the man who knew he was God." I had to stop reading for a while to recover from that line, then read it over and over again!

I also enjoyed Him telling James: "I am weary of you, by brother... in my heart, I'm weary."

The last page of the book is sheer genius and made my heart swell with Happiness!
on December 27, 2015
This book gave you something to think about. As Christ followers we always hear about the birth of Christ and when he was a young man, then at the age of 33, but never things Christ had to experience as a child. We don't imagine what His life had to be like growing up, challenges He had to face at the time of Herod being king. We don't think about Christ needing to be protected from Himself and the people. Just remember that this is a fictional book so it is not always accurate to the bible. But a great read!
on April 2, 2008
In her second book in the Christ the Lord series, Rice has again skillfully created a historical novel of the life of Jesus that is engaging, historically connected, and true to the image of Jesus in the Gospels. Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana captured my imagination and fueled my devotion with its earthy depiction of an adult Jesus (referred to in the book by his Hebrew name "Yeshua" or "Yeshua bar Joesph"). Rice has continued with her masterful way of balancing the true humanity and true divinity of Jesus in The Road to Cana with vivid description. With Jesus as the narrator, Rice gives the reader another look into Jesus' inner life, his thoughts, his anxieties, and his longings.

(WARNING: The following may contain plot spoilers. If you don't want me to ruin the plot then order the book here.)

Rice has wisely chosen not to fill in too many gaps between Jesus in the temple at age 12 and his baptism at approximately age 30. The Road to Cana begins during the winter before Jesus' baptism. We see less of his interaction between his mother, his father, and Uncle Cleopas and more of his interaction with his older brother James. There is a reference to his brother James being the son of another woman and not Mary, the mother of Jesus. Also there is a reference to Jesus calling his cousins his "brothers and sisters." This classification is in harmony with the Catholic tradition that Mary remained a virgin and had no other children. Protestants may disagree, but this theological determination regarding Jesus' family in no way takes away from the power of the story.

One of the triumphs of the book is Rice's ability to portray Jesus' romantic feelings in a pure, noble, and historically true way. Jesus' temptation in this regard is completely free of the trashy, 20th century, sex-obsessed descriptions of his romantic feelings as seen in other contemporary stories of Jesus. Jesus is enraptured with a young woman named Avigail. She is a fictions character, but she could have very well been in Jesus' life in first century Israel. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but Avigail plays an import role in The Road to Cana. Jesus' love for her is very holy and very real. Rice does a wonderful job describing the pressure Jesus was under to take Avigail as his bride. The temptation was not unbridled lust, but the temptation to marry according to cultural standards. Jesus longs to make Avigail his bride, but he knows this is not his call. The interactions between Jesus and Avigail are wonderfully written.

The first half of the book sets the historical and personal context of the life of Jesus leading up to the Gospel accounts of his baptism, his temptation, and the beginning of his miracle ministry, including the miracle at Cana. Rice describes Jesus' baptism and subsequent temptation in the wilderness with magical imagery and direct quotations from Scripture. She remains faithful to the gospel narrative and fills in the biblical text with wonderful color and texture.

In the front of the book she has a quote from Karl Rahner: The truth of faith can be preserved only by doing a theology of Jesus Christ, and by redoing it over and over again.

Anne Rice has used her gifts as a writer to do just that, redoing a theology of Jesus Christ on the canvass of biblical and historical orthodoxy...a historical-fiction-kind-of-theology that has great benefit for those of us on the journey of knowing, loving, and following Jesus.
on April 6, 2015
Anne Rice's ability to weave a narrative based on well-researched historical archives from many geographical areas and emerging faiths is amazing. She is able to put the reader directly in the atmosphere of time and place - as so vividly demonstrated in the Vampire Chronicles - with compelling observations from an objective standpoint coupled with the internal profiles of characters that embellish the story and propel it in her singular style.
The book was a gift to a family member who was interested in the life of Jesus told from a very human perspective - the curious and sometimes obstreperous child - and his interactions with all his family - especially Mary and Joseph, aunts and cousins. I read the book years ago and have begun revisiting it with my sister as she progresses through it.
on April 9, 2014
I thought ms Rice was a writer of vampire books.
The title of this book was what arrested me and made me buy it. Wow, what a story! Again it brought to life the story of the Bible; and as much in the book was never mentioned in the Bible, or, perhaps I never read the Bible thoroughly as I should have done, much was new to me. After a year or so I saw a book on iBooks about the passages or parts of stories that were NOT included in the Bible and was utterly stunned that its content confirmed what was written by ms Rice in this book.
It made me wonder what else was left out and why?
If I was to be "careful" of such books because the authors are adept in putting the figments of their imagination in it and it may not be the truth, then what should I think of those that "leave out" whole passages and gospels and leave us with LESS?
I have bought books like this, from Amazon, to give away to people I care about, so that they may "know", too!
on May 28, 2016
After seeing The Young Messiah in the theater, I was interested to read the book that was the basis for the screenplay. Seeing that Ann Rice was the author was a surprise.
Ms. Rice had certainly done her research to fill in the areas of Jesus' young life that are not detailed in the New Testament. I felt a greater understanding of what life for a Jewish child might have been like during this time in history. This was no ordinary child; however, and glimpses into the early life of Jesus, the Christ were tender and inspiring.
on March 21, 2017
Graeat Lenten retreat...just finished this and now going straight on to the sequel as soon as I type this period .
on August 30, 2014
This is another book that our men's group chose to read and discuss. You have to have an open mind and some imagination to enjoy this. This is a story about Jesus as a human and what He could have done and how He may have acted at this time in His life. Is it true? Very probably not. Does it deviate from or try to persuade the reader to a different belief of Jesus? No. It is a story, but in this story Jesus is not a supreme being and this may disturb some. He is a man with many of a man's feelings and emotions. Ms Rice's ability to tell this story with compassion and insight is remarkable.