Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Christian aTunde Adjuah
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 1, 2012
Let's start with some calibration statements: Miles Davis and Don Cherry are Hall of Fame five star trumpet players. Amazon and EBAY reviewers give a lot of non hall of fame products five stars too. It's a bad tradition since we have not left any space to distinguish very good, great, and super great. I'm not going to punish this Christian Scott double CD set by going coldly logical in my review. It's very good but not great so it gets an Amazon five star rating.

I bought this music because I ran into its reviews on Amazon and decide to give it a try not knowing anything else about Christian Scott. For the record, what people wrote was the clincher not their ratings. The first thing I did was rip the CDs to my computer's music stash then gave a listen. Good stuff. I'm going to call the style mostly world music, not soft jazz as many other reviewers have. In fact there are many hints of Don Cherry when he's fooling around with Ed Blackwell. That's very high praise from me!

There's enough variety in this two CD set to convince me that Scott is not a one trick pony, an awful epithet to hang on a jazz man. (Consider drummer Ginger Baker for example, a world music sort when he's trying his hand at jazz. I like him but he's dreadfully repetitive.) There is also a hint of creativity in addition to variety so my interest was held throughout the 23 tracks. I'm sure that I will spend time relistening to some pretty terrific music.

I recommend the CDs to you. If you are more interested in modern than (semi-)classical jazz you will like it even more than I do and I really like it.
on March 7, 2014
This album is incredible! It is the 1st music by this artist I have purchased and I was not disappointed. I am a huge Rahsaan Roland Kirk fan, and by today's standard he is probably the closest thing that I've heard. He also has a little Miles Davis to his sound, but make no mistake his sound is entirely his. I bought this album after reading an article in the Nation that was describing this type of music(indigenous to New Orleans), having never heard of it or him. I will be looking for more of his music in the future, and would highly recommend this album to anyone who is looking for a true artist, who is true to themselves and their roots. Cheers and enjoy!

-Brandon Barnard
on May 24, 2013
BLAZING! I like the second disc just a tiny bit more than the first, only because of Alkebu Lan, but the first disc is not slacking by any means - New New Orleans, Who They Wish I Was, Spy Boy, Of Fire...this set is just crazy good. Matt Stevens, you're on my radar!
on May 13, 2016
Once again Christian Scott rocks. So far I have his Anthem, Rewind That, Yesterday u said Tomorrow CDs and I haven't been disappointed yet. I play them every single day for my enjoyment and personal meditation. I am trying to teach the youth I my neighborhood that jazz rocks and that African American youth like Mr. Scott and his entire band are phenomonal and that much of his music is change agent and/or community activist based.....and that they too can enjoy this neo jazz whilst drawing attention to issues within our own community, you gotta love if!
on July 31, 2012
I don't know the definition of jazz, but this is real jazz, with a new sound. A double CD, a tour the force of Scott. You can hear all kind of sound inside, you can feel all kind of influence but at the end is pure jazz. Is the best album from Christian Scott, but also could be one of the more influence CD for the future. Is the new "Britches brew"of S. XXI. All is perfect. Scott is incredible with his epic sound of trumpet, and the group is great. Is not a fusion album , is a compendium of all kind of music in jazz. Is a music for young audience, but probably only the olders one can understand the revolutionary meaning of this record. For young people the reference could be Radio Head, for jazz lovers Miles Davis, always changes, always looking for new ways. I think is the best jazz record in the last 12 years, minimum . Thanks Scott to make this music, for try to get a new sound for jazz lovers, for conquer new audience for jazz. A masterpiece.
on May 26, 2016
Scott is a fantastic trumpet player and he's got an instantly recognizable sound, but on this album, he never ventures far beyond his comfort range of musical textures. Were I not familiar with more of his catalog, I'd walk away from this album wondering if Scott could play anything else, or if he were merely a one-trick pony. I was looking forward to a much wider range of moods with the additional length, but it just isn't a varied collection. As you may expect, even though the performances are reliably solid, it gets monotonous pretty quick. It also demands a lot of time from the listener. I doubt I'll ever sit through both discs back-to-back.

To anyone shopping for a first-rate Christian Scott album, I highly recommend Stretch Music.
on May 28, 2014
I like this album. I do find it a little spotty. I only say that because I really like some of the songs on this 2 disc outing. I find some of the other songs to be good quality but a little less inspiring. Great playing throughout. Scott is great as usual on his instrument. The heads are very melodic. As with some other Jazz in the current era (think Chris Potter), soloing is often over a repeating lick or brief set of changes that's usually in one key. I'm OK with this if the soloist is outstanding and that's certainly the case with this group.
on February 27, 2013
I absolutely love this double cd. Christian is one brotha who rocks to his own rhythm and I respect him as a person and musician for that. All of the tracks are great and I never expect anything less from him. His work from his beginnings is wonderful and for anyone unsure about coppin' this album, just listen to my favorite track, "I Do"...simply beautiful.
on January 21, 2013
Where can I start? So much great music here. Maybe the best new album to be released in years. Young man, you and your crew out did yourselves on this collection of gems. The songs flow in and out of each other on this 2-disc set. This music is jazz at it's finest. Jazz that is thoughful and makes the toe's tap! Not that smooth jazz junk that dominates the airwaves but innovative music that streachs the boundries of what jazz is. Christian aTunde Adjuah Peace Be With You.
on September 21, 2012
Christian Scott continues to compose and perform music far beyond his years and this cd is no exception. When I first heard his cd "rewind that" I was hooked. This double cd is a treat, there is not a bad cut on it. You could listen to this cd over and over again and still find something remarkable in it. The state of jazz, true jazz not that smoooooooth jazz is in great hands with young lions like Mr. Scott.