Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on March 2, 2014
As a person who has a passion for entertaining, I am always looking for new ides for the Christmas holidays. This book is a perfect way for me to bring the past into the now for my guests this holiday season. From Jackie Kennedy's trinket gift boxes to Laura Bush's winter wonderland, this book will remain on my coffee table throughout the year. The mouthwatering recipes and craft projects were a keen insight to the personalities of our First Ladies. I enjoyed the colorful photo's especially the photo's capturing them in a relaxed setting enjoying Christmas. I remember watching the broadcast of Laura Bush's tour of the White House back in the 80's. I was in awe of the winter wonderland she created with artificial snow. The People's House sparkled and the photo in this book vividly captured my memories with detail and brought back memories. This is a book of sheer enjoyment and I will be purchasing several more for my dearest friends who share a love of history and "The People's House."
on December 25, 2016
The stories and detail regarding the first ladies' christmases are great. However the photography is lacking. I was hoping for pictures of each year's decor and theme, but most of the photos were family shots. For example, the Lady Bird Johnson section has 2 white house photos and 5 personal family photos. If you are interested in the personal christmas of each first lady, you will love this book. If you are interested in the white house christmas decor for the last 50 years, this is not for you
on February 9, 2013
I was looking for more Christmas coffee table books and saw the author on a talk show, so I decided to order her book. It is a great book to display and to flip through.
There are many beautiful pictures from years of White House Christmases. I wish the book were larger, so the picture would be, too. The descriptions and explanations are good.
The only questionable thing about the book is her inclusion of crafts so the reader can copy some of the decorations. Making ornaments that look like gift boxes? I think that is pretty obvious.
All in all, it's a nice addition to a Christmas library.
on January 31, 2017
A delightful account of White House Christmas traditions and the First Ladies who created them!
Splendid stories and lovely images. An excellent illustration of the changing tastes in Christmas decor since the Kennedy presidency. Definite collectors book and seasonal coffee table feature piece. Well done Ms. Burke!
on November 18, 2012
I bought this book for my mother as a present. Before giving it to her I read it and found it to be outstanding. Contrary to Jan E. (I guess the prescription for her glasses must have expired) the photography is top notch. It made me feel as if I was actually in the White House for the holidays. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves the holiday season.
on October 1, 2012
Nice combo of Christmas traditons of First Families in context of historical setting and era. Nostalgic. As a 60 yr old, I remembered the families and enjoyed reading how they brought their holiday traditions to the White House. I plan to give this book to a few older women friends this coming holiday season. Probably would not be appreciated by those too young to remember the Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, eras.
on January 13, 2017
I loved this book! The book starts out Christmas in the Kennedy Era through the Obama Era. The decorations through the years have just gotten more beautiful! If you love Christmas like I do mixed with a little history, you should enjoy this book.
on June 17, 2017
Beautiful photos and a joy to read!
on July 29, 2017
Wonderful tabletop book for guest, and an interesting history of Christmas in the White House.
on December 21, 2013
Even if you've never had the opportunity or privilege to attend a Christmas holiday party at the White House...you will appreciate this book.  It provides wonderful insight into the first ladies' traditions for the fabulous decorations which truly transform the WH into a magical home and create an incredibly festive atmosphere enjoyed by thousands of people each year.  Thoroughly enjoyed reading as well as viewing WH photos from the past 50 years....just one thing - needed more pics!