Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on December 1, 2014
 Video: The train under my tree with the smoke, sounds and lights on (circle shape track).

This was my first train set so I just wanted something under $50, that will stay on its tracks and add some fun to the Christmas tree. This set surpassed my expectations. As someone already mentioned you can create a circle (50 in X 50 in) or oval (50 in x 70 in) shape with the train tracks. As long as your tracks click into place when you attach them and you line up the wheels of the train correctly, you shouldn't have any derailment issues. For those concerned about the smoke, there's a separate switch so you can have it on or off. Note, the smoke smell is not lovely but my husband liked it. He said it reminded him of his childhood train set. There's also a separate switch for the sounds and lights. If you choose you can have the train go around with no sound or smoke. Finally, the train comes with three empty carts that you can fill with whatever you want. My carts are currently filled with a miscellaneous Christmas items. Overall, excellent first train set I have no complaints.
55 comments| 290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2016
We LOVE this train! Wonderful price! Perfect for beginners. It works best on hard, flat floors, such as wood or tile, rather than carpet, where it tends to derail... The rails need to be connected carefully, but we had no problems with it on the hard floor. It works great, the sounds are awesome.
The smoke does stink, and I think it is unnecessary, but it does have a switch to easily turn it off. I would definitely buy this again.
0Comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 18, 2016
We loved it!
review image
0Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 20, 2015
Easy to assemble and looks great running round the Christmas tree, with two small modifications. First off for those worried about the sound and smoke other reviewers have complained about, there is an on off switch for each. You can run the train without sound and or without smoke without having to take it apart. The train will derail if the tracks aren't on a level surface. I'm running it on a table top over a table cloth. That works great. Press down on each track connection to hear it snap into place and you will be good to go. The cars want to come unhitched. I put a 1 inch piece of electrical tape over the engine's hitch (any tape should work). I put a finishing nail through the hitch connection for the other cars (it just slides through the hole and makes the connection longer, no puncturing needed). That one piece of tape and two finishing nails are all that it takes and the cars stay attached. It runs like a dream and adds that extra bit of magic to the Christmas tree. Don't hesitate to buy this train. I've never played with a model train before, I'm not particularly mechanical, and I had no problems setting up and running this train set. I filled the cars with candy and I'm so happy with my purchase! It's so cute!
on December 10, 2017
My wife bought this set a couple of years ago (much to my delight!) for our grand kids to watch around the tree. This is a great little train set. I'm watching it now, in its 3rd season, making its laps around the tree. The little flat cars are loaded with candy canes and chocolate drops. I was trying to find some additional track sections for it and was reading some of the reviews. It seams that most of the negative reviews were from those who failed to read the instructions included with the set! Here's what I've found from MANY hours of operation after first reading and following the mfgr's recommendations.
This really isn't a play toy for little kids. 8yrs and up is recommended. If you let very young kids play with this thing there will be many issues with derailments, uncouplings, track separation as well as broken parts. The smoke on our unit worked fine but I only used a FEW drops of oil at a time. Operation with sound, lights AND smoke will run the batteries down in a few hours. I put fresh batteries in it on New Years the first season with the smoke and sound off and it ran for 15 hours and 40 something minutes CONTINUOUSLY with a load of candy canes and the old bows from packages. I found the best track layout for a tree is 3 curved sections on each corner of a large square using one of the remaining 4 straight sections on each side. My only criticism of this thing is that to turn it off you have to carefully trap and stall it with one hand and flip the switch with the other, I find it best to let it run clockwise around the tree to have better access to the on/off switch. For the money I feel this is an extraordinary set that should last years. Now, if I can find some extra track for next year....
on December 26, 2016
It's really a nice looking train. Despite being only $21 during a Thanksgiving Day price drop. I didn't expect die cast quality but was surprised at the quality (it is all plastic) and size. It IS loud, but you can turn the sound and light off and operate the smoke separately. The smoke does smell weird, but I only turned it on for a minute or two. I did have trouble getting the cars to remain on the track, but the engine stays on just fine. All in all, I'm glad I purchased it - makes a great addition to our tree.
review image
on December 6, 2017
Remembering my love of toy trains at Christmas time, I bought this set for our two-year-old granddaughter last Christmas, and it was tucked away until this year. It made its official debut this week, merrily chugging around the tracks, complete with "train sounds" and the familiar mournful sound of a "real" locomotive whistle. We received a video last night, and watched our now three-year-old granddaughter clapping her hands, jumping up and down and enjoying the experience as only three-year-olds can do. It looks great, was easy to assemble, was well balanced. The tracks are on wood floors, so there was not any derailing, just smooth traveling. It is even nicer than it looks in pictures. We are all very pleased.
on December 4, 2016
Save your money, this product is awful! My kids were so excited to get this, and the train doesn't even move like it should. It keeps stopping around the track. Very cheap, and not well made. Extremely disappointed.
on January 11, 2016
If you're looking for a great addition to your Christmas tree, you've found it. The smoke IS real and the sound is great. You get a great size and shape with the track for around a 6-12 foot tree. Pretty nice quality and the only issue we ever had with this was it was easy to derail.
on December 9, 2017
This is our second MOTA train...the first one had wheels that were easily broken by little hands that were curious around the tree-but otherwise functioned well. This one-this one will ride far too fast around a track. I don’t know how to slow it down-it goes probably 3X as fast as it should and jumps the track. Disappointing.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.