BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 1, 2014
 Video: The train under my tree with the smoke, sounds and lights on (circle shape track).

This was my first train set so I just wanted something under $50, that will stay on its tracks and add some fun to the Christmas tree. This set surpassed my expectations. As someone already mentioned you can create a circle (50 in X 50 in) or oval (50 in x 70 in) shape with the train tracks. As long as your tracks click into place when you attach them and you line up the wheels of the train correctly, you shouldn't have any derailment issues. For those concerned about the smoke, there's a separate switch so you can have it on or off. Note, the smoke smell is not lovely but my husband liked it. He said it reminded him of his childhood train set. There's also a separate switch for the sounds and lights. If you choose you can have the train go around with no sound or smoke. Finally, the train comes with three empty carts that you can fill with whatever you want. My carts are currently filled with a miscellaneous Christmas items. Overall, excellent first train set I have no complaints.
55 comments| 207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2016
We LOVE this train! Wonderful price! Perfect for beginners. It works best on hard, flat floors, such as wood or tile, rather than carpet, where it tends to derail... The rails need to be connected carefully, but we had no problems with it on the hard floor. It works great, the sounds are awesome.
The smoke does stink, and I think it is unnecessary, but it does have a switch to easily turn it off. I would definitely buy this again.
on November 27, 2016
The train did not start at first. After checking the batteries, I adjusted the springs touching the batteries. By gently moving the springs I was able to get them to touch the center of the batteries and then the train worked.
I got this on a super deal on black Friday and for that price, it was totally worth it. The train is plastic, but it looks very nice. I had no problems with keeping it on track. The sound and lights are great. Note that you need smoke oil to make the smoke. I have not done that yet.
This is not a premium quality train, but it is definitely nice.
on December 4, 2016
Save your money, this product is awful! My kids were so excited to get this, and the train doesn't even move like it should. It keeps stopping around the track. Very cheap, and not well made. Extremely disappointed.
on December 1, 2016
Bought this on 10/19/16 as a surprise for my kids when we put up our Christmas tree. Set it up 11/25 and it doesn't work. Can't return it (30 day return window) and MOTA apparently doesn't own a phone. They require you to submit support tickets on their website. A week later and I've received zero response. Don't buy this brand!
on January 8, 2017
I paid a little under $35 for this train. It's worth about $10.99. My train-crazed 2.5 year-old grandson enjoys this train but it is a CONSTANT source of frustration for grandma! The smoke didn't work on Christmas morning or for the week following. Then a few days ago it decided to function and it smells horrible and you can barely see the smoke. My grandson and I have decided the smoke ... is broke! With the aid of a bread tie/twisty, I was able to keep one car attached to the engine. The dang thing just won't stay hooked up. I think we have had all the cars attached to the engine and staying on the tracks for a total of 60 seconds! Even with just one car you can't keep it on the tracks. If you take a deep breath and calm yourself for the 30th time in a day, get on the floor, CAREFULLY line the engine wheels up with a straight section of the track and gently turn it on, it will actually go around the track several times before it derails for the 31st time in a day. I don't like writing negative reviews but this train is a mess. I don't think I would give it even two stars if my grandson didn't enjoy it. If it lasts until the 4th of July, I will feel I got my $35 worth. I just hope Grandma's patience hold up until we can get outside to play again and this train can be demoted in importance.
on December 25, 2016
Thought my 2 year old would love this set for Christmas. At first glance, it looked really nice and I thought I had totally scored. But then I assembled it andtried to play with it. Here's the problems:

1 - there are no instructions, which okay yea, it's self-explanatory how to set it up, but I still think a little instruction booklet for troubleshooting, etc. would be helpful
2 - the TRAIN WILL NOT STAY ON THE TRACKS. Any slight bump and the whole thing de-rails and it's hard to get it back on
3 - The motor is unpredictable and I couldn't get it to work - only worked once then just made a bunch of noise and wouldn't go around anymore
4 - The "smoke" coming out has to be carcinogenic, as it smells like burnt plastic
5 - The noise/sound is SUPER LOUD and I couldn't figure out a way to turn it off.

After about 20 minutes of dinking around and getting super frustrated, we decided to just return it (partially because it didn't work) and partially because it was just not user friendly...especially for a young boy whom this is meant for.
on December 15, 2016
Very nice train set. It is for looking at more than playing with but my 3 year old Grandson picks it up and gets it back on the tracks with very little issues. The smoke is cool but it does smell so we don't have it on that much. It takes four double A batteries that last about 4 hours of continuous running. We have a train that runs close to our farm and this has the exact same sounds except for the old style whistle. We will only use it at Christmas time so it's perfect for us. The only drawback is the tiny side pipes are not strong so you need to be aware of that when you pick it up.
review image
on December 28, 2014
Love,love,love this train! I spent day's researching online for a train for my 2 year old grandson. Finally realized I needed one that made noise, had lights, was bigger than your average trains and he could turn on without using a remote! I did not realize how hard it would be to find such a train until I found this one and the reviews really helped! Three things:
1. The box says recommended for ages 14 and up? My grandson and granddaughter ages 2 & 3 loved this train!
2. Some may think that the train has problems staying on the track but it's how you put the front wheels on then it runs perfectly!
3. In some reviews I read people did not like the smoke that came out of the engine. On the set we got they added a feature where there is a button and you can just turn it off.
The train was beautiful more than we expected and the only set that even ran on carpet!
on January 11, 2016
If you're looking for a great addition to your Christmas tree, you've found it. The smoke IS real and the sound is great. You get a great size and shape with the track for around a 6-12 foot tree. Pretty nice quality and the only issue we ever had with this was it was easy to derail.