Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 946 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,284 reviews
on December 1, 2014
 Video: The train under my tree with the smoke, sounds and lights on (circle shape track).

This was my first train set so I just wanted something under $50, that will stay on its tracks and add some fun to the Christmas tree. This set surpassed my expectations. As someone already mentioned you can create a circle (50 in X 50 in) or oval (50 in x 70 in) shape with the train tracks. As long as your tracks click into place when you attach them and you line up the wheels of the train correctly, you shouldn't have any derailment issues. For those concerned about the smoke, there's a separate switch so you can have it on or off. Note, the smoke smell is not lovely but my husband liked it. He said it reminded him of his childhood train set. There's also a separate switch for the sounds and lights. If you choose you can have the train go around with no sound or smoke. Finally, the train comes with three empty carts that you can fill with whatever you want. My carts are currently filled with a miscellaneous Christmas items. Overall, excellent first train set I have no complaints.
55 comments| 198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2016
We LOVE this train! Wonderful price! Perfect for beginners. It works best on hard, flat floors, such as wood or tile, rather than carpet, where it tends to derail... The rails need to be connected carefully, but we had no problems with it on the hard floor. It works great, the sounds are awesome.
The smoke does stink, and I think it is unnecessary, but it does have a switch to easily turn it off. I would definitely buy this again.
on February 18, 2016
We loved it!
review image
on April 17, 2016
We have a 8' tall Christmas tree that is pretty standard in terms of width. The train tracks fits perfectly around the tree. The tracks were easy to attach and have a few extra pieces to allow you to somewhat customize the track. The train is made of light metal and plastic. The colors are vibrant and beautiful. The train makes train sounds and also blows steam as advertised. You will need to purchase some mineral oil to use the steam feature. My one year old son loves this! He was amazed!!
on November 27, 2016
The train did not start at first. After checking the batteries, I adjusted the springs touching the batteries. By gently moving the springs I was able to get them to touch the center of the batteries and then the train worked.
I got this on a super deal on black Friday and for that price, it was totally worth it. The train is plastic, but it looks very nice. I had no problems with keeping it on track. The sound and lights are great. Note that you need smoke oil to make the smoke. I have not done that yet.
This is not a premium quality train, but it is definitely nice.
on December 20, 2015
Easy to assemble and looks great running round the Christmas tree, with two small modifications. First off for those worried about the sound and smoke other reviewers have complained about, there is an on off switch for each. You can run the train without sound and or without smoke without having to take it apart. The train will derail if the tracks aren't on a level surface. I'm running it on a table top over a table cloth. That works great. Press down on each track connection to hear it snap into place and you will be good to go. The cars want to come unhitched. I put a 1 inch piece of electrical tape over the engine's hitch (any tape should work). I put a finishing nail through the hitch connection for the other cars (it just slides through the hole and makes the connection longer, no puncturing needed). That one piece of tape and two finishing nails are all that it takes and the cars stay attached. It runs like a dream and adds that extra bit of magic to the Christmas tree. Don't hesitate to buy this train. I've never played with a model train before, I'm not particularly mechanical, and I had no problems setting up and running this train set. I filled the cars with candy and I'm so happy with my purchase! It's so cute!
on December 26, 2016
It's really a nice looking train. Despite being only $21 during a Thanksgiving Day price drop. I didn't expect die cast quality but was surprised at the quality (it is all plastic) and size. It IS loud, but you can turn the sound and light off and operate the smoke separately. The smoke does smell weird, but I only turned it on for a minute or two. I did have trouble getting the cars to remain on the track, but the engine stays on just fine. All in all, I'm glad I purchased it - makes a great addition to our tree.
review image
on December 4, 2016
Save your money, this product is awful! My kids were so excited to get this, and the train doesn't even move like it should. It keeps stopping around the track. Very cheap, and not well made. Extremely disappointed.
on December 28, 2016
I purchased this set for Christmas for my 2-1/2 year old daughter, knowing that I would assemble it and she would be able to watch it. She loves choo choo trains and since it only runs on AA batteries, there was little danger for her. First, it came with no instructions, so I'm not sure how the smoke is supposed to work. I figured out how to assemble it myself. The first time I put it together it was on the living room carpet. THE TRAIN WOULD NOT MAKE IT AROUND THE TRACK EVEN ONCE WITHOUT DERAILING I figured it must not be level somewhere and even put a couple Mickey Mouse figurines in it to weigh down the cars. With very little extra weight, the front of the engine would now lift and derail, instead of the cars. The hitch mechanisms kept uncoupling and would leave cars behind. I then assembled it on the linoleum kitchen floor and the exact same problem. It would not make it even once without derailing. Imagine my daughter's disappointment as she sat on my lap excited to watch the train, and her brand new choo choo did not work. Extremely disappointed in this garbage.
on December 11, 2016
 Bought this with my own money ( not discounted or free as some reviews), would like to buy extension cars but cant find the option for it. This is the second year that we are using this train set under our Christmas tree. I waited another year before posting a review for this since I want to see how it would work after 2 years of use. The train is still working great and the rails are still in fine condition. I have read some reviews here that says that the tracks need to be on a perfectly even surface and even then the train would still derail often. I have not experienced this even with this being our second year of using it and both years on different carpets. Last year we placed lots of candies on the 3 train cars and it was even better. The video I have included here is still empty since I havent bought any candies yet so my husband doesnt ransack it like last year :P. My daughter loves it specially the realistic sound and smoke that comes from it! She comes running from the bedroom in the morning and says 'choo choo' and thats my que to turn it on for her. The only thing I think they can improve on this is the option to buy more train car extensions separately. I would really like the train to be longer but cant seem to find the option to buy separate cars for it. Other than that though this is the best train set I have ever bought and worth every penny. Cheap buy for great quality. Hope this helps someone undecided in buying this