Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Christmas Story
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 30, 2008
I teach Kindergarten at a Catholic school. This is the perfect book to tell about the birth of Jesus. It has beautiful illustations and the words engage the listener. You will love it!
on December 10, 2008
When I was a little girl, my mom bought The Christmas Story book that was in circulation in the 70's. I remember closely looking at the pictures, loving the beautiful colors. The copy I had showed Mary on the cover.

I bought this book for my two year old and was thrilled to see that even though the cover illustration had changed, the story AND the illustrations on the inside were exactly what I remembered from my own copy years ago.

My daughter really loves this book, and I enjoy reading it to her. Would highly recommend.
on March 21, 2011
We bought The Christmas Story as a gift for our son. We wanted to use the book to share the birth of Jesus around the holidays. It is very child friendly, and the artwork was wonderful. It will become a tradition for us to read this every year during the Christmas season.

If you are buying this book to give to beginner readers, it uses vocabulary such as jostling, weary, kinsmen, wicked, and departed. Easy words for adults, but more difficult for children to decode and comprehend the story. I also felt as if some of the sentence structures were a bit awkward. Overall, it is a great way to introduce the true Christmas story to your family.
on January 31, 2013
This is a good book for teaching the Christian/Catholic meaning of Christmas but the book is over 50 years old so the wording is dated. It might be a little harder to read if English is not your first language, but not impossible. It could be very beneficial to your children to read a book like this because it opens up their reading vocabulary. Many kids books today are lacking good writing and different writing styles, making reading the classics later on in life much harder. Give your kids a head start and buy books from all periods of time in American literature like this one!
VINE VOICEon August 14, 2014
I wanted to find a book that I could read to my daughter and the second grade class I teach at a Lutheran school that would cover the real Christmas story in a way that was understandable for kids and conveyed the message clearly. This book covers who Mary and Joseph were, how the angel came to Mary before Jesus' conception, how they traveled and finally found a place to rest in the hay, and how the three wise men came to see Him. It covers all the basic parts of the Christmas story and the kids enjoyed reading it.

The book itself is very well made as all Little Golden books are and though the illustrations are colorful and detailed, they look very old and could use a more modern update. But this book does an excellent job of retelling the real meaning of Christmas.
on October 20, 2010
This was a gift for my infant granddaughter. Her mom read the story to her often. According to her mom, she 'enjoyed' the story, and was quiet when it was read to her. Amazing! Highly recommended.
on February 12, 2013
The Christmas Story: This was a gift. I read it to my granddaughter and it was a little over her head with some of the words. I realize it was of biblical content but if it's a childrens' book it need to reflect a child's language.
on February 3, 2016
Great biblical stories to teach our child the true meaning of Christmas. My son has been going to a Christian preschool and these type of stories help him understand the whole reason behind the Christmas season. Bottom line he loves the book and we love the messages this gives him.
on December 8, 2015
I just ran across my kids copy of this very same book last week. The price on the cover was 39cents. My kids are now 47 and 44. I read it to their kids and now I have two great grandchildren to read it to, both on my Kindle and the actual Golden book. This story of the birth of our savior Jesus over two thousand years ago is still as precious as ever. The illustrations are so beautiful and the children are portrayed so sweetly. Golden Books were always a preferred choice of my kids years ago . They were always treasured. Thank you for making this story available to Kindle users .
on December 29, 2015
I bought this book to read to my unborn grand child. Since I'm deployed and can't talk to the baby I decided to read stories from the bible to the baby. This book is a very easy book to read and understand.