Top critical review
6 people found this helpful
Worth watching once. That's it.
on December 5, 2016
A Christmas Story is one of the best Christmas movies ever. Based on that (and the fact that I picked up this Blu-ray disc for only $8), I figured I'd give this a try.
If I'd never seen the first movie, I might give this three stars. Most of the actors were pretty decent. The story? It was ok. I didn't like a few things:
1. First, why the swearing? I was watching with my 7-year old son and geez, why the "son of a bitch" and "ass"? Just keep it to the fake swearing, please! It's funnier and it broadens your audience.
2. It relied too heavily on the first movie for gags. No need to bring back the lamp, for example.
3. The dad was decent, but he acted nothing like the dad in the first movie. I couldn't get past this for some reason.
4. The narrator - both the voice and the script - was a lot worse than the first movie.
5. Ralphie was too comical in his acting. Part of the magic of the first movie was that Ralphie was being completely normal and not trying to be funny. Kind of like the Naked Gun movies - no need to overdo the acting.
6. The first movie felt like a period movie. This one didn't for some reason. I didn't feel like I was in 1940; I felt like I was watching somebody pretend to be in 1940. In the first movie, I felt like I was in that era. I can't put my finger on why. Something just wasn't genuine.
My conclusion? Watch it once. Only buy it if it's cheap; otherwise rent.