Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on July 7, 2014
Hey guys,

Check out my video review! Hopefully you find it useful when purchasing this light. It's a great light for a great deal. You won't be disappointed. One note I'd like to make is that it is plastic (but still good quality plastic), so it's not indestructible. However, assuming you take good care of your camera, there's no reason that you can't take good care of the light as well. Definitely worth all 5 stars.
99 comments| 460 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 21, 2012
I had recently bought a NEEWER 160 LED light that I gave away, and found this light with the same number of LEDs at an even lower price. The price wasn't my concern, and I had hoped for a little better mounting bracket this time around.

The differences between these two lights is almost negligible, but I discovered that the Chromo light seems to put out the same brightness that the NEEWER light does. It has the same number of LEDs. Instead of having the dimmer on the side, it has it on the back. The button to check for battery life does the same job as the one on the NEEWER light, except that on the Chromo light the light has to be "on" first to test the battery. No problem. There are the same selection of colored gels like the NEEWER light, except that you don't get the plastic sleeve to put them in. Small issue. The light is a bit bulky, mostly because of its dual battery design / Sony or AA batteries. I would recommend not using AA batteries since you need six of them, and it makes the light much heavier and is more expensive to be using disposable AA's than one NP-550. Of course, if you wish to use rechargeable AAs that's another choice, but using just the one Sony battery is a lot easier in my opinion. The Chromo doesn't come with a battery, but NP-550's aren't expensive and neither are the chargers for them.

The mount for the Chromo, in my opinion, was a lot better than the NEEWER mount. The light itself has a threaded hole on the bottom, so you could screw in your own mount if you like -- something that the NEEWER light can't do since its mount uses four tiny screws into the light's frame. The hot shoe mount that comes with the Chromo light is much like others I've seen that come with other brands of LED camera lights. It is a screw-in swivel with a thumbscrew to set the angle you wish to hold the light. It's cheap, but seems to be effective -- a combination of metal and plastic parts -- not just plastic. Mine actually had some rust on the ball joint, something that I was able to easily scrape off and spray with some parts cleaner. These products from China remind me of the old days when we'd get the same type of quality from Japan. However, in general, I'm giving this light 4 stars since so far it seems like it will do the job and is a lot of light for the money. It's also less stressful on the job if this light breaks or gets dropped rather than having spent a lot of money on it like products from LightPanels, that make an obviously superior product but overcharge for what you're getting. We just did a shoot in the Mohave with the NEEWER light. It got rolled in the dust accidentally, but never stopped working and after a bit of cleanup, it still worked fine. These lights are great to use to fill in shadows even in daylight, but you have to get in close. At night, they are amazingly bright. Good also for lighting car interiors and for a quick emergency light when you have to get the shot. With the Chromo, you'll just have to find a place in your bag for the extra gels. Not a big deal.
1010 comments| 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The light comes with three filters: a 3200 conversion filter, a diffuser and a pinkish filter. The diffuser doesn't really diffuse -- you can still see all the LEDs and they are annoying bright. I would not ask my talent to stare into one of these if it were on top of my camera. It needs more diffusion. I epoxied two small clips recycled from trade show badgeholder necklaces onto the sides of the light that can hold some diffusion material.

The pink filter is obviously an admission that the LEDs put out a greenish light. The pink/magenta filter brings the light back to neutral. The top-mounted slot holds only one filter at a time.

The lights are small and very light. The attached picture shows a three-unit kit inside of a 16" x 12-1/2" x 2-1/2" case that holds the filters, lights, batteries and improved BestDealUSA Multifunction Ball Head Umbrella/Flash Mount/Holder/Bracket L Stand so I can mount them on 5/8" stud light stands.

Lights dim easily and will be useful for accents, rim lighting or run-and-gun on-camera shooting.
review imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 2, 2015
I needed a portable video light for my Canon 70D and choose the Chromo 160 LED CI-160. It's perfect for adding catchlights to eyes and reducing shadows on the face, especially in rooms with unflattering overhead lighting. Mount it on a Super Clamp or boom and it's an excellent hair light. The dimmer works well, allowing anything from gentle fill to a squint inducing blaze. There’s no video light flicker when the CI-160 is dialed down or dimmed. However, the CI-160 has strong greenish cast, so beware if mixing with other daylight balanced lights. I found using using the supplied magenta filter helped reduce the green cast considerably.

Direct LED lighting is harsh. After all, this is a tiny light source and compromises are expected in exchange for the portability of this unit. If I'm working close, I put the CI-160 on a stand and shine it through a white umbrella, tissue paper or bounce off a white panel for softer light.

This light is sold ala carte and doesn't include batteries or power brick. I recommend using Sony NP-F series battery clones: clones are inexpensive, readily available and power it for hours on a charge (DSTE 2x NP-F550 Li-ion Battery + DC01 Charger). I'm impressed with the multiple battery options but thus far have only used a STK NP-F550 clone. It yields nearly two hours of light at 100% power. It's a tight squeeze to install a NP-F550 and my finger often snags the AA battery springs. Also, battery pins are delicate so go easy on them.

The ABS case appears durable but will likely break if dropped on hard surfaces. The tripod socket on the bottom is big deal for me as it allows more flexibility than integral mounts, e.g., use of an arca quick release plate or the ability to mount directly on tripods or monopods. However, it is a metal socket set into plastic so treat it gently and don’t over tighten.

I own a similar light, the NEEWER CN-160. Initially I thought they were the same model but noticed minor differences: the Chromo is thinner, has an all-in-one battery compartment instead of plates, slide-in filters rather than clip-on, a tripod socket on the bottom and dimmer on the back rather than side. The Neewer is closer to 5600K and doesn’t have a green color cast. Instead, it’s slightly magenta. However, the smaller size of the CI-160 is preferable for hot shoe use and I really like the tripod socket.

For a Jackson and change, the Chromo 160 LED CI-160 is an excellent small video light. Be aware of the green cast and use a magenta filter or be prepared for extra work color correcting in post production.
on December 23, 2017
I wanted to have a light I could attach to either my G7 or a small stand to focus light on my video subject, particularly when working inside of my PC case, and boy does this light do the job well. At its brightest setting, it's blinding to look at, but that's great when trying to shine light on a specific area. The dimmer works very well and it's nice to see a battery meter of sorts to let you know when it's time to change them.

The filters that come with it I could do without as they don't do much, particularly the clear one, but there is a hint of color with the orange and pink filters, just not a lot.
on May 19, 2016
Honestly an amazing light for its price. Excellent for videographers looking to get some extra depth in their videos or even for photographers to get a nice even spread of light. Seriously if you're thinking about buying it, go ahead and do it. 10/10
review imagereview image
on November 25, 2014
This works as promised. Video results are "good."It's (can be) bright as heck. I recommend this for the price and features / performance. At time of my purchase, price and specs / reviews pointed me to this. I am pleased with this purchase for my "amateur video" Nikon D-7000 setup. It does have a metal ball (versus plastic of some competitors' - like Neweer, as pointed out by previous reviewers -- maybe plastic is better? -see following), *but* the "floppy D-Ring" tightening mechanism is *still* inadequate and a poor design in my opinion. The threads on the D-Ring stud and ball housing appear to be too coarse to get an effective "lockup" simply by hand (at least my 60+yr-old hand), requiring pliers (no kidding) to effectively secure the mass of the unit (negligible) *and* 6 "AA" batteries (not so negligible) on an appx. 1/2" too-polished ball. In a word: floppy, if only hand-tightened. The batteries *do* stare out at you from back of unit (see pic). Good for heat dissipation. Time will tell if having to use, in essence, a "cheater bar" on the ball mechanism to secure the light will destroy, or be a part of this product's life. Luckily this light doesn't require frequent re-direction. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries, am loaded with Dollar-Store alkalines in photo just to see how long they last...
The color / temperature, brightness range are all within discernible, stated spec. ranges according to my post-processing. A GOOD light for the price !
on December 25, 2015
I hope you like taking apart your electronics, because you will eventually have to disassemble this one to fix it. The on/off adjustment knob is secured with a screw. Over time this securing screw will come loose and the know will rotate freely, thus keeping you from turning the unit on or off. The fix is relatively easy, remove the back case screws and tighten the screw securing the knob. I've done it once will little issue, but when you disassemble the device you will realize it is rather fragile on the inside. I'm am on my second time having to do this, but this time around I will use some silicone or other glue to secure the secure the screw. May also use it to secure the other electronic components on the inside to ensure long lifespan.

Biggest only other complaint beyound the knob, is there is no way to secure the light filters. They slip out quite easily.
on February 27, 2016
The light looks good in terms of tone, camera white balance kept it from taking the colors out. The unit has some heft once the batteries are in. If you are using two of them to cut shadows find a rail that attaches to something besides the hot-shoe. For small spaces or dual lights the 160 is good, if you're trying to combat darkness from clouds/dusk upsize to the 216 bulb version.

-1 star for the rubbish swivel mount. This probably contributes to why so many people are breaking the base (1/4" nut molded into cheap abs plastic) The thread locker to the light is sloppy even with the rubber padding and the lock on the swivel doesn't resist the weight of the light. I modified an old Leica flash height extender I had which works great, solved that problem completely.

If you're against a background then the diffuse filter is a must, you get odd looking stepped edges to shadows because of the rows of lights. Again, bump up to the 216 bulb version so you have enough light to counter the filters if you'll be doing this.
on July 24, 2013
What more could you want? At this price point, you get a great light that is very versatile and a wonderful addition to any lighting kit. The 160 LED's are powerful and a nice color temperature. I haven't tested it with a color temperature meter, but it has a cool, bluish color to the light. Probably pretty close to daylight and easily balanced with today's digital cameras.

There's a lot of bang for your buck with this light. The build quality is cheap and plastic, but as long as you don't drop it or throw it around, it should last as long as any other plastic device we have in our lives. It's great that you can use so many different power sources. I personally like the AA battery option. I have rechargeable NiMh batteries that will power this light all day long. I wish the battery compartment were manufactured to slightly tighter specifications as the batteries have a lot of wiggle room. Even a scalloped depression for each battery would help hold them more securely in place. But this is a very minor complaint. Once the batteries are in place, there is a frame that snaps on top of the batteries to keep them from falling out.

There are three filters included. One is a frosted clear panel and the other two are supposed to give you a tungsten and florescent light correction. I doubt they are anywhere close to being accurate, but it's nice they threw them in. Personally, I have a set of Rosco color correction gels that I will cut and use over the front of the LED light to get better color accuracy from this light. Easy to use the clear/frosted panel as a guide, place the gel between the panel and the light. In my evaluations, the frosted panel does nothing to diffuse or soften the quality of light. There is no discernible difference. But it does offer some protection for the LED light bulbs. I measured the light output with a Minolta light meter and there was no loss in light when using the frosted panel.

Speaking of light output. I measured the LED light with a light meter and from 2 feet away the light measured 1/30th sec. @ f/5.6 (400 ISO). Obviously, there are a million variables, depending on how you shoot, but it's a nice light for the money. I'm definitely going to buy more for my kit.

I used to own some of the first generation Sunpak video lights that used a NiMh video battery and had a tungsten light bulb. Those lights were only good for 5 minutes on a full charge, but these LED lights will go all day long. We live in amazing times!

The hot shoe mount is a great accessory to have, but I would never use it with my Canon 5D-Mark III. There are tiny little springs under the hotshoe that are used to communicate and connect with the Canon Speedlites. Cramming a cheap plastic hotshoe into this may/may not damage it. I'm not taking the risk. It's easy enough to attach this to a light stand or have an assistant hold this light.

All in all, a great light for the price. Nice features and bright light with long lasting power and numerous power options. This is a stupid easy purchase decision. Every photographer should have at least one of these on hand. You can thank me later!