Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,326 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,425 reviews
on October 21, 2012
I had recently bought a NEEWER 160 LED light that I gave away, and found this light with the same number of LEDs at an even lower price. The price wasn't my concern, and I had hoped for a little better mounting bracket this time around.

The differences between these two lights is almost negligible, but I discovered that the Chromo light seems to put out the same brightness that the NEEWER light does. It has the same number of LEDs. Instead of having the dimmer on the side, it has it on the back. The button to check for battery life does the same job as the one on the NEEWER light, except that on the Chromo light the light has to be "on" first to test the battery. No problem. There are the same selection of colored gels like the NEEWER light, except that you don't get the plastic sleeve to put them in. Small issue. The light is a bit bulky, mostly because of its dual battery design / Sony or AA batteries. I would recommend not using AA batteries since you need six of them, and it makes the light much heavier and is more expensive to be using disposable AA's than one NP-550. Of course, if you wish to use rechargeable AAs that's another choice, but using just the one Sony battery is a lot easier in my opinion. The Chromo doesn't come with a battery, but NP-550's aren't expensive and neither are the chargers for them.

The mount for the Chromo, in my opinion, was a lot better than the NEEWER mount. The light itself has a threaded hole on the bottom, so you could screw in your own mount if you like -- something that the NEEWER light can't do since its mount uses four tiny screws into the light's frame. The hot shoe mount that comes with the Chromo light is much like others I've seen that come with other brands of LED camera lights. It is a screw-in swivel with a thumbscrew to set the angle you wish to hold the light. It's cheap, but seems to be effective -- a combination of metal and plastic parts -- not just plastic. Mine actually had some rust on the ball joint, something that I was able to easily scrape off and spray with some parts cleaner. These products from China remind me of the old days when we'd get the same type of quality from Japan. However, in general, I'm giving this light 4 stars since so far it seems like it will do the job and is a lot of light for the money. It's also less stressful on the job if this light breaks or gets dropped rather than having spent a lot of money on it like products from LightPanels, that make an obviously superior product but overcharge for what you're getting. We just did a shoot in the Mohave with the NEEWER light. It got rolled in the dust accidentally, but never stopped working and after a bit of cleanup, it still worked fine. These lights are great to use to fill in shadows even in daylight, but you have to get in close. At night, they are amazingly bright. Good also for lighting car interiors and for a quick emergency light when you have to get the shot. With the Chromo, you'll just have to find a place in your bag for the extra gels. Not a big deal.
1010 comments| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2013
I have a meeting to attend and record in half an hour so I'll be quick.

The light is fine. Got it last month. My first one. Run it on my DSLR to make up for lack of lighting conditions, which is exactly what I needed, one can only bump up brightness and contrast so much in an NLE before it gets ugly and noisy.

Now all of you reading, today I picked up the little hot shoe mount off the light, starting removing it, noticing chips coming out from the mounting screw, knew what would happen next.

Check my picture above. The plastic around the light mount screw shattered. At least the lower part. I fiddled the screw through real slow, came right out. Now I'm applying super glue to what's left of the base in hopes I can still mount it on my camera.

I'm not even mad. Maybe I screwed in the hot shoe mount too much, maybe I abused and pulled on the mount during transport. Maybe it is my fault. Doesn't matter though, I have a ticking time bomb waiting to fall out and break on the floor. I'll see how much life I can get out of this before it completely dies.

So, in summary, my word of caution, it's an okay light, but when transporting, please, remove the hot shoe mount from the light, and be real careful when it is mounted, or you could end up like careless me, with a light waiting to fall off your camera.
review image
on September 21, 2016
I attached this light kit to my Samsung 3300 camera. I'd love to rate it 5 stars, but the slide that attaches on the camera is loose. Therefore, it can fall right off the camera if you don't hold onto it. Since I can't use it to attach effectively to my Samsung or my Nikon, I used the screw hole in the base to attach it to a mini tri-pod I have on my desk.
I can definitely tell a difference in photos using the different colored filters. For selfies, I would recommend the pink filter. It gives you an almost air-brushed quality to your portraits. It'd be awesome if the manufacturer offered a fix for the slide attachment. It needs to be a tad bit wider to truly lock into a camera.

I've shared photos of how the subject looks using the light kit. The first photo is of me, using the pink filter, with the lights on full power. All photos taken with my Samsung 3300 camera, and no photo retouching was done. The photos of my dog--definitely not a tolerant model--were taken using full light, with the clear, yellow/orange, and pink filters respectively.

The light kit arrived on time and was well-packaged.
on January 5, 2013
The light comes with three filters: a 3200 conversion filter, a diffuser and a pinkish filter. The diffuser doesn't really diffuse -- you can still see all the LEDs and they are annoying bright. I would not ask my talent to stare into one of these if it were on top of my camera. It needs more diffusion. I epoxied two small clips recycled from trade show badgeholder necklaces onto the sides of the light that can hold some diffusion material.

The pink filter is obviously an admission that the LEDs put out a greenish light. The pink/magenta filter brings the light back to neutral. The top-mounted slot holds only one filter at a time.

The lights are small and very light. The attached picture shows a three-unit kit inside of a 16" x 12-1/2" x 2-1/2" case that holds the filters, lights, batteries and improved BestDealUSA Multifunction Ball Head Umbrella/Flash Mount/Holder/Bracket L Stand so I can mount them on 5/8" stud light stands.

Lights dim easily and will be useful for accents, rim lighting or run-and-gun on-camera shooting.
review image review image review image
on July 24, 2016
For the price, this is a fairly decent addition to your lighting collection. The light can be very bright, which is great and it can fit in the flash hot shoe of your camera or on a tripod which is also great. It has a dial that you turn to adjust the intensity from off to brightest. It comes with a 3 filters that you can just slide right in from the top very easily. The product itself is fairly light.

However, there are a few drawbacks that you have to deal with due to the price. In my opinion, the drawbacks are worth it but I'm going to let you know what they are just in case they may not be worth it to you.

It looks like you can use some other kinds of battery besides 6 AA but the item description only lists 2 Sony batteries and "full list coming soon". I was not able to find the full list anywhere.

For some reason, the battery door isn't solid and it has a huge opening so you can see the batteries. The batteries didn't fit quite right and I had to nudge them to get them to make contact properly. The ball head is pretty chintzy and the knob to tighten and loosen it is not very comfortable to use. Lastly, as far as I can tell, there is no way to power this externally, you have to use batteries. I bought this hoping to be able to use it for studio lighting too. I still can, but I'll be going through batteries pretty quickly.

In summary, this thing works and it works well but there are a few drawbacks that are expected due to it costing less than higher end
on August 22, 2014
Exactly as described, shipped quickly. This light is crazy cheap for what it does. No, it's not as bright as a professional flash or studio lights but for a continuous light source that runs off of AA batteries, it's amazing. (Amazon brand rechargeable batteries are a great deal and work well with this light.)

Warning, the battery compartment is not intuitive. With the open back, it looks like it's missing a part. And, AA batteries look like they should go right in but they don't until you remove the frame around the battery compartment. I'm sure there's a reason it's designed this way, possibly so that you can see if there are batteries installed, or maybe so that a larger battery can protrude past the frame.

The battery monitor on the back is very useful but I have no idea how long the batteries last. I've been playing around with this quite a bit and the batteries are still reading full. Darn it, I just looked straight at the light and I know have 160 dots in my vision. Mounted on a small tripod, this would also make a fantastic work light. (There is a tripod screw hole in the bottom of the hot shoe mount.)

There are some similar lights that offer additional features, including adjustable color temperature, an ac adapter, and include a battery pack. But, for the money, I prefer this one. Particularly if you're buying a bunch of them to light a whole setting.

That's a lot of LED's in a small package.

on May 5, 2015
MY PURPOSE: PHOTOGRAPHY

After reading some of the other reviews before posting mine, I've noticed several people saying the same things:
1. CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: "THE BATTERY COVER IS MISSING"...The battery cover is not missing, that is the design. There is a plate over the batteries that comes off to fit in ALL of the batteries, however it is more of a "window" so you WILL see batteries. It does look like it's missing, but I got over it quickly.
2. CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: "IT'S NOT A FLASH"... The description states it is a LIGHT. It's not a strobe, it's not a flash... it is an LED continuous light that survives around 8 hours of continuous lighting.
3. CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: "IT DOESN'T TURN ON"... This may be true for that person, however, when I put the batteries in and switched it to "on," nothing happened. I then pressed the brightness button and that turned it on. This light has many levels of brightness and it was incredibly impressive for the price.

MY REVIEW:
I am a photographer - ranging from landscape, weddings, portraits, real estate, to product photography. I wanted to try this light as an on-the-go light source. I also wanted an addition to my studio lighting. I purchased an L-hot shoe bracket from Amazon as well. They both came in on the same day. I had a white backdrop set up today with a single umbrella light for a product shoot today. I mounted the light on the bracket and used it as a supplemental light for my shoot. It made such a huge difference. I didn't use any of the filters for the shoot, but it gave off a clean natural light which is exactly what I wanted.

The mount on this light seems well made in comparison to its competitors. I love that it has a ball-head swivel for mobility. The device itself is fairly light in weight and didn't add much weight to my camera - which is a bonus! My camera is heavy enough as it is. lol I did play around with the filters and they are pretty nice! Very easy to slide in and take out. They seem pretty thick and durable. I love that it has threads in the base to use with a stand if you choose not to use the hot shoe mount.

If you are a YOUTUBE vlogger, this would be excellent lighting for simple video shooting. I will definitely be using this in the near future when I record videos for YouTube and when I record monologues for auditions. I recommend this light. For the price, you can't go wrong!
on January 26, 2014
I’m award winning special effects filmmaker so I generally wouldn’t consider buying a light this cheap unless I was going to put it in harms way. In my opinion the Chromo CI-160 is the best inexpensive on-camera motion picture (video) light that money can buy right now. The Chromo CI-160 has a metal hot shoe adapter and the Neewer CN-160 has a plastic one. Needless to say plastic hot shoes tend to break even when you accidentally bump the light into something. The Chromo has a lot more options then the Neewer for attaching the light to a camera, a camera bracket or light stand. If your camcorder has a mini hot shoe you’ll need a mini hot shoe to a full size hot shoe adapter with either of these lights. The Chromo is thinner and has the light switch on the back opposed to the Neewer which is about 1” thicker and has the light switch is on the side. I prefer having the light adjustment on the back so you can make adjustments as you're filming. In contrary of another review on here the battery checker on the Chromo also works when the light is switched off.

I don’t recommend using either of these lights as your main light for taking pictures. Built-in camera flash units produce a significant amount more light. For you geeks the incident light meter was set at ISO 400 and shutter speed set at 1/60 of a second. The incident light measurement was taken 3-feet away from the lights in a dark room = f 2.0 respectively.
Powerful for a small light-source! So far, I've just experimented with it, but I like it well enough to order more to create portable light banks to use in soft boxes with one reservation. It does kind of sputter when you start powering it up. After the power is set, it seems to settle down, so, we'll see.

One thing I really like about this unit compared to the others I own of various sizes is that it has a fitting for a small ball head. The one that comes with it is not very sturdy, but I have several inexpensive ones that I can use instead if I decide to use it and others on location shoots. With the pink filter on it, it balances fairly well to daylight, but I still have to tweak it in Light Room before I import into Photoshop. Not a biggie. Also, with the filter, it diffuses fairly well, so, with others placed strategically I can use it for some situations without bulky soft boxes or umbrellas.

I really hope the sputtering doesn't lead to anything. To have a nice, studio-worthy light-source for less than $50.00, including the rechargeable Sony battery is really nice. I do some pet photography, and they seldom enjoy the pop of flashes. Also, continuous light-sources give total control without a lot of experimenting when photos depend on lighting as much as content and composition.
on November 25, 2014
This works as promised. Video results are "good."It's (can be) bright as heck. I recommend this for the price and features / performance. At time of my purchase, price and specs / reviews pointed me to this. I am pleased with this purchase for my "amateur video" Nikon D-7000 setup. It does have a metal ball (versus plastic of some competitors' - like Neweer, as pointed out by previous reviewers -- maybe plastic is better? -see following), *but* the "floppy D-Ring" tightening mechanism is *still* inadequate and a poor design in my opinion. The threads on the D-Ring stud and ball housing appear to be too coarse to get an effective "lockup" simply by hand (at least my 60+yr-old hand), requiring pliers (no kidding) to effectively secure the mass of the unit (negligible) *and* 6 "AA" batteries (not so negligible) on an appx. 1/2" too-polished ball. In a word: floppy, if only hand-tightened. The batteries *do* stare out at you from back of unit (see pic). Good for heat dissipation. Time will tell if having to use, in essence, a "cheater bar" on the ball mechanism to secure the light will destroy, or be a part of this product's life. Luckily this light doesn't require frequent re-direction. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries, am loaded with Dollar-Store alkalines in photo just to see how long they last...
The color / temperature, brightness range are all within discernible, stated spec. ranges according to my post-processing. A GOOD light for the price !