Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 1,278 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on October 21, 2012
I had recently bought a NEEWER 160 LED light that I gave away, and found this light with the same number of LEDs at an even lower price. The price wasn't my concern, and I had hoped for a little better mounting bracket this time around.

The differences between these two lights is almost negligible, but I discovered that the Chromo light seems to put out the same brightness that the NEEWER light does. It has the same number of LEDs. Instead of having the dimmer on the side, it has it on the back. The button to check for battery life does the same job as the one on the NEEWER light, except that on the Chromo light the light has to be "on" first to test the battery. No problem. There are the same selection of colored gels like the NEEWER light, except that you don't get the plastic sleeve to put them in. Small issue. The light is a bit bulky, mostly because of its dual battery design / Sony or AA batteries. I would recommend not using AA batteries since you need six of them, and it makes the light much heavier and is more expensive to be using disposable AA's than one NP-550. Of course, if you wish to use rechargeable AAs that's another choice, but using just the one Sony battery is a lot easier in my opinion. The Chromo doesn't come with a battery, but NP-550's aren't expensive and neither are the chargers for them.

The mount for the Chromo, in my opinion, was a lot better than the NEEWER mount. The light itself has a threaded hole on the bottom, so you could screw in your own mount if you like -- something that the NEEWER light can't do since its mount uses four tiny screws into the light's frame. The hot shoe mount that comes with the Chromo light is much like others I've seen that come with other brands of LED camera lights. It is a screw-in swivel with a thumbscrew to set the angle you wish to hold the light. It's cheap, but seems to be effective -- a combination of metal and plastic parts -- not just plastic. Mine actually had some rust on the ball joint, something that I was able to easily scrape off and spray with some parts cleaner. These products from China remind me of the old days when we'd get the same type of quality from Japan. However, in general, I'm giving this light 4 stars since so far it seems like it will do the job and is a lot of light for the money. It's also less stressful on the job if this light breaks or gets dropped rather than having spent a lot of money on it like products from LightPanels, that make an obviously superior product but overcharge for what you're getting. We just did a shoot in the Mohave with the NEEWER light. It got rolled in the dust accidentally, but never stopped working and after a bit of cleanup, it still worked fine. These lights are great to use to fill in shadows even in daylight, but you have to get in close. At night, they are amazingly bright. Good also for lighting car interiors and for a quick emergency light when you have to get the shot. With the Chromo, you'll just have to find a place in your bag for the extra gels. Not a big deal.
1010 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2013
The light comes with three filters: a 3200 conversion filter, a diffuser and a pinkish filter. The diffuser doesn't really diffuse -- you can still see all the LEDs and they are annoying bright. I would not ask my talent to stare into one of these if it were on top of my camera. It needs more diffusion. I epoxied two small clips recycled from trade show badgeholder necklaces onto the sides of the light that can hold some diffusion material.

The pink filter is obviously an admission that the LEDs put out a greenish light. The pink/magenta filter brings the light back to neutral. The top-mounted slot holds only one filter at a time.

The lights are small and very light. The attached picture shows a three-unit kit inside of a 16" x 12-1/2" x 2-1/2" case that holds the filters, lights, batteries and improved BestDealUSA Multifunction Ball Head Umbrella/Flash Mount/Holder/Bracket L Stand so I can mount them on 5/8" stud light stands.

Lights dim easily and will be useful for accents, rim lighting or run-and-gun on-camera shooting.
review image review image review image
on March 14, 2013
I have a meeting to attend and record in half an hour so I'll be quick.

The light is fine. Got it last month. My first one. Run it on my DSLR to make up for lack of lighting conditions, which is exactly what I needed, one can only bump up brightness and contrast so much in an NLE before it gets ugly and noisy.

Now all of you reading, today I picked up the little hot shoe mount off the light, starting removing it, noticing chips coming out from the mounting screw, knew what would happen next.

Check my picture above. The plastic around the light mount screw shattered. At least the lower part. I fiddled the screw through real slow, came right out. Now I'm applying super glue to what's left of the base in hopes I can still mount it on my camera.

I'm not even mad. Maybe I screwed in the hot shoe mount too much, maybe I abused and pulled on the mount during transport. Maybe it is my fault. Doesn't matter though, I have a ticking time bomb waiting to fall out and break on the floor. I'll see how much life I can get out of this before it completely dies.

So, in summary, my word of caution, it's an okay light, but when transporting, please, remove the hot shoe mount from the light, and be real careful when it is mounted, or you could end up like careless me, with a light waiting to fall off your camera.
on November 20, 2012
I've been wanting to purchase the Litepanel LED for a couple of years now. However at $200 it seemed too pricey for what I wanted it for. I'm a wedding photographer and wanted to try using it for some detail shots like the rings. When I saw the Chromo for $30 I had to try it out. It seems fairly well built. The dimmer switch worked well and at full power produced more light then I would ever need. I also love that it works with AA batteries. It does just what I need. A definite bargain.
on June 26, 2013
I've owned a tiny on camera LED light for some time and with my shoulder mount mini DV camcorder, it worked pretty ok, then i started shooting video with a DSLR and found that the beam and brightness was no longer quite enough, so i ordered this bad boy and i am quite pleased with the light i get from it and better yet it works with the Panasonic rechargeable batteries from my old DV camcorder, I'm as pleased as punch, Priced right, shipped right on time, I would buy a couple more of these in the near future. As always, good show Amazon !
on April 28, 2013
The cold shoe snapped in half. It's plenty bright, but it uses a ton of batteries and is made of the cheapest Chinese plastic money can buy.
on January 2, 2013
After purchasing the Neewer led light and loving it I thought I would get 2 more. Then I found these nearly identical units which were even cheaper so i decided to give them a try. I opened the first box to find that the battery door "latch" was broken. Then, upon further inspection I found that one of the springs for a AA battery mount was missing. I didn't even open the other box. I printed a return slip and sent them back to amazan. maybe I had bad luck but I thought that you guys and girls should know.
on October 24, 2012
similar to the neewer 160 light. Has a better connector than the neewer lights for $10 less. Construction very similar,the dimension are a big higher, but not as wide as the Neewer brand lights.
Both use AA (6) or sony batteries. The Temp on this light is a lot bluer than the neewer, so if you mix and match, it may be a problem. Will test out the next week, to see if it just as durable as neewer. Stay tune for update. If it works as well as the neewer for a lower price, than my rating will go up.

It really crazy that these light at all trade show use to be in the $200 and up range. Of course those were better quality, but not so much that it cost almost 8x as much.
on October 23, 2012
I'll get right to the point. I'm sure like many of you, I was simply bewildered by how many "160 LED" light panels exist to chose from. Especially with regards to how much the prices vary. What is the difference between a version that costs $70 and this version which can be had as low as $19 at times (Chromo)? On paper, they all look the same.

From what I can tell from pictures alone, the only "obvious" differences are:

1) camera mount details. In this case, a small tripod ball-head to hot shoe mount is provided, whereas others have what appears is a plastic friction arm to hot shoe mount.
2) dimming control method. In this case, a small thumbwheel is used, where some others use a round knob.

Aside from these two details. I really can't tell if there are any other differences. Yet, the prices on these things vary so much. You would have to "think" the versions that are three times the cost must be "better" in some way.

Well, from a price standpoint, this has to be the best "deal" among them all. For $20, how can you beat this value? Provided it works as advertised, and is RELIABLE, this is really a no=brainer.

I purchased three of these, and just received them the week of Oct 17th, 2012. While the jury is still out on how "reliable" these are, I can say so far that they have performed as advertised. I was expecting something to not work right, but they have worked fine. Very bright, dimming feature is effective, battery indicator seems to work fine.

The white diffusion panels are useful, the amber version is nice to somewhat warm things up, the pink version I really don't know how useful that is yet. Nonetheless, they all slip in and are held in place fine.

Construction-wise, they do seem a bit flimsy. Don't drop these! But if you treat these as delicate parts, they probably will be OK. These are $20! Perhaps the more expensive versions are more robust in this regard?

One thing I do NOT like about these versions are the ball head mount provided. They simply are not effective at holding their tension. At least for the versions I received, I can't lock these lights at any angle without eventual slippage.

With this in mind, perhaps the more expensive versions with the plastic variable friction arm-to-hot shoe might be a better way to go if you don't want to hassle with a more reliable mount. BUT, even those versions I see some people have problems with those (IE: reliability due to quality of construction). I guess it's a crapshoot no matter which version you get.

For me, I can work-around this inadequate part, but for others, this might be a deal-breaker considering you might have the same problem which requires an alternate mounting solution. Fortunately a standard 1/4" screw mount exists when you remove this poor ball head. A standard light stand should work fine. What sucks though is this mount is not flush, there is the external front bezel that is raised higher next to this mount, so unless you use a slim pole or other equally slim tripod mount, a common flat tripod mount may cause undue stress on the outer bezel...so keep this in mind if you decide to go with this light.

At $20, this is the current best deal. Had it come with a better mount, it would easily be five stars. Now the thing i am worried about is reliability. How long will they last? How long do ANY of these last? I really don't know. But we'll see.

### Update Feb 2013 ###

These units are holding up pretty well. No issues with their performance. Only thing to note is the plastic button cover for the battery test has come off on a few of mine which I have lost. Underneath is a red microswitch which can still be depressed, so no loss of function. Not a huge deal, but a nitpick to still great value LED light imho.
on March 22, 2014
I noticed the first fault when one of the leds stopped working. Not really fussed by this.

Then during its first shoot, the on/off wheel broke and fell back inside the housing. Now it's totally useless.

I want my money back.