Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2014
Hey guys,

Check out my video review! Hopefully you find it useful when purchasing this light. It's a great light for a great deal. You won't be disappointed. One note I'd like to make is that it is plastic (but still good quality plastic), so it's not indestructible. However, assuming you take good care of your camera, there's no reason that you can't take good care of the light as well. Definitely worth all 5 stars.
455 helpful votes
456 helpful votes
99 comments|Report abuse
on October 21, 2012
I had recently bought a NEEWER 160 LED light that I gave away, and found this light with the same number of LEDs at an even lower price. The price wasn't my concern, and I had hoped for a little better mounting bracket this time around.

The differences between these two lights is almost negligible, but I discovered that the Chromo light seems to put out the same brightness that the NEEWER light does. It has the same number of LEDs. Instead of having the dimmer on the side, it has it on the back. The button to check for battery life does the same job as the one on the NEEWER light, except that on the Chromo light the light has to be "on" first to test the battery. No problem. There are the same selection of colored gels like the NEEWER light, except that you don't get the plastic sleeve to put them in. Small issue. The light is a bit bulky, mostly because of its dual battery design / Sony or AA batteries. I would recommend not using AA batteries since you need six of them, and it makes the light much heavier and is more expensive to be using disposable AA's than one NP-550. Of course, if you wish to use rechargeable AAs that's another choice, but using just the one Sony battery is a lot easier in my opinion. The Chromo doesn't come with a battery, but NP-550's aren't expensive and neither are the chargers for them.

The mount for the Chromo, in my opinion, was a lot better than the NEEWER mount. The light itself has a threaded hole on the bottom, so you could screw in your own mount if you like -- something that the NEEWER light can't do since its mount uses four tiny screws into the light's frame. The hot shoe mount that comes with the Chromo light is much like others I've seen that come with other brands of LED camera lights. It is a screw-in swivel with a thumbscrew to set the angle you wish to hold the light. It's cheap, but seems to be effective -- a combination of metal and plastic parts -- not just plastic. Mine actually had some rust on the ball joint, something that I was able to easily scrape off and spray with some parts cleaner. These products from China remind me of the old days when we'd get the same type of quality from Japan. However, in general, I'm giving this light 4 stars since so far it seems like it will do the job and is a lot of light for the money. It's also less stressful on the job if this light breaks or gets dropped rather than having spent a lot of money on it like products from LightPanels, that make an obviously superior product but overcharge for what you're getting. We just did a shoot in the Mohave with the NEEWER light. It got rolled in the dust accidentally, but never stopped working and after a bit of cleanup, it still worked fine. These lights are great to use to fill in shadows even in daylight, but you have to get in close. At night, they are amazingly bright. Good also for lighting car interiors and for a quick emergency light when you have to get the shot. With the Chromo, you'll just have to find a place in your bag for the extra gels. Not a big deal.
189 helpful votes
190 helpful votes
1010 comments|Report abuse
on January 5, 2013
The light comes with three filters: a 3200 conversion filter, a diffuser and a pinkish filter. The diffuser doesn't really diffuse -- you can still see all the LEDs and they are annoying bright. I would not ask my talent to stare into one of these if it were on top of my camera. It needs more diffusion. I epoxied two small clips recycled from trade show badgeholder necklaces onto the sides of the light that can hold some diffusion material.

The pink filter is obviously an admission that the LEDs put out a greenish light. The pink/magenta filter brings the light back to neutral. The top-mounted slot holds only one filter at a time.

The lights are small and very light. The attached picture shows a three-unit kit inside of a 16" x 12-1/2" x 2-1/2" case that holds the filters, lights, batteries and improved BestDealUSA Multifunction Ball Head Umbrella/Flash Mount/Holder/Bracket L Stand so I can mount them on 5/8" stud light stands.

Lights dim easily and will be useful for accents, rim lighting or run-and-gun on-camera shooting.
review imagereview imagereview image
39 helpful votes
40 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on July 24, 2016
For the price, this is a fairly decent addition to your lighting collection. The light can be very bright, which is great and it can fit in the flash hot shoe of your camera or on a tripod which is also great. It has a dial that you turn to adjust the intensity from off to brightest. It comes with a 3 filters that you can just slide right in from the top very easily. The product itself is fairly light.

However, there are a few drawbacks that you have to deal with due to the price. In my opinion, the drawbacks are worth it but I'm going to let you know what they are just in case they may not be worth it to you.

It looks like you can use some other kinds of battery besides 6 AA but the item description only lists 2 Sony batteries and "full list coming soon". I was not able to find the full list anywhere.

For some reason, the battery door isn't solid and it has a huge opening so you can see the batteries. The batteries didn't fit quite right and I had to nudge them to get them to make contact properly. The ball head is pretty chintzy and the knob to tighten and loosen it is not very comfortable to use. Lastly, as far as I can tell, there is no way to power this externally, you have to use batteries. I bought this hoping to be able to use it for studio lighting too. I still can, but I'll be going through batteries pretty quickly.

In summary, this thing works and it works well but there are a few drawbacks that are expected due to it costing less than higher end
1 helpful vote
on August 22, 2014
Exactly as described, shipped quickly. This light is crazy cheap for what it does. No, it's not as bright as a professional flash or studio lights but for a continuous light source that runs off of AA batteries, it's amazing. (Amazon brand rechargeable batteries are a great deal and work well with this light.)

Warning, the battery compartment is not intuitive. With the open back, it looks like it's missing a part. And, AA batteries look like they should go right in but they don't until you remove the frame around the battery compartment. I'm sure there's a reason it's designed this way, possibly so that you can see if there are batteries installed, or maybe so that a larger battery can protrude past the frame.

The battery monitor on the back is very useful but I have no idea how long the batteries last. I've been playing around with this quite a bit and the batteries are still reading full. Darn it, I just looked straight at the light and I know have 160 dots in my vision. Mounted on a small tripod, this would also make a fantastic work light. (There is a tripod screw hole in the bottom of the hot shoe mount.)

There are some similar lights that offer additional features, including adjustable color temperature, an ac adapter, and include a battery pack. But, for the money, I prefer this one. Particularly if you're buying a bunch of them to light a whole setting.

That's a lot of LED's in a small package.

on September 10, 2015
The color of this LED light panel is horrible. The bare LEDs put off light at about 4900 Kelvin, and it is more of a greenish tint. With the orange gel in it it should be corrected to more of a 3200K tungsten color, but its comes out more around 4200K and is a yellow/green light and is just a very ugly color. When you white balance for the light itself all the color of the surrounding area is thrown off so badly massive color correction is needed. For example, today I was using the light indoors with primary light coming from the window lighting the room, my color balance was 5200K, normally any other LED I would use I could turn it on and be fine, when I turned this LED on and did a white balance for this LED the light coming from the windows now cast a rose colored hue to the room. Completely unacceptable for any type of professional application.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on May 5, 2015
MY PURPOSE: PHOTOGRAPHY

After reading some of the other reviews before posting mine, I've noticed several people saying the same things:
1. CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: "THE BATTERY COVER IS MISSING"...The battery cover is not missing, that is the design. There is a plate over the batteries that comes off to fit in ALL of the batteries, however it is more of a "window" so you WILL see batteries. It does look like it's missing, but I got over it quickly.
2. CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: "IT'S NOT A FLASH"... The description states it is a LIGHT. It's not a strobe, it's not a flash... it is an LED continuous light that survives around 8 hours of continuous lighting.
3. CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: "IT DOESN'T TURN ON"... This may be true for that person, however, when I put the batteries in and switched it to "on," nothing happened. I then pressed the brightness button and that turned it on. This light has many levels of brightness and it was incredibly impressive for the price.

MY REVIEW:
I am a photographer - ranging from landscape, weddings, portraits, real estate, to product photography. I wanted to try this light as an on-the-go light source. I also wanted an addition to my studio lighting. I purchased an L-hot shoe bracket from Amazon as well. They both came in on the same day. I had a white backdrop set up today with a single umbrella light for a product shoot today. I mounted the light on the bracket and used it as a supplemental light for my shoot. It made such a huge difference. I didn't use any of the filters for the shoot, but it gave off a clean natural light which is exactly what I wanted.

The mount on this light seems well made in comparison to its competitors. I love that it has a ball-head swivel for mobility. The device itself is fairly light in weight and didn't add much weight to my camera - which is a bonus! My camera is heavy enough as it is. lol I did play around with the filters and they are pretty nice! Very easy to slide in and take out. They seem pretty thick and durable. I love that it has threads in the base to use with a stand if you choose not to use the hot shoe mount.

If you are a YOUTUBE vlogger, this would be excellent lighting for simple video shooting. I will definitely be using this in the near future when I record videos for YouTube and when I record monologues for auditions. I recommend this light. For the price, you can't go wrong!
1 helpful vote
on March 12, 2016
After reading reviews for a number of similar products, I chose the Chromo 160 LED because it seemed to be a decent quality lilght with the features I wanted -- a light that was dimmable for nighttime wildlife photography and could run on regchargeable batteries. I was really excited when I received it -- tried it out with alkaline batteries, and then went ahead and ordered the (not inexpensive) rechargeable batteries and charger. I found the adjustment knobs to be cheaply made and in frequent need of re-tightening, but was willing to accept the inconvenience given the modest price.

First expedition out was great, even with the camera hand-held instead of mounted on a tripod -- so much better than trying to use a flashlight to illuminate small creatures in the dark. Second time I used the camera on a tripod, and the light didn't provide much illumination at a distance of 6 to 10 feet, which was a little disappointing, but not surprising. Third time out, and suddently it wouoldn't switch on. I thought my battery was dead, but no, all 4 power lights lit up when I pressed the check-battery button. Just in case, tried it with a fully charged second batter, same result -- the light simply wouldn't turn on.

So back I'm sending it, and will probably replace it with a more expensive, hgiher quality LED light.
on February 2, 2015
I needed a portable video light for my Canon 70D and choose the Chromo 160 LED CI-160. It's perfect for adding catchlights to eyes and reducing shadows on the face, especially in rooms with unflattering overhead lighting. Mount it on a Super Clamp or boom and it's an excellent hair light. The dimmer works well, allowing anything from gentle fill to a squint inducing blaze. There’s no video light flicker when the CI-160 is dialed down or dimmed. However, the CI-160 has strong greenish cast, so beware if mixing with other daylight balanced lights. I found using using the supplied magenta filter helped reduce the green cast considerably.

Direct LED lighting is harsh. After all, this is a tiny light source and compromises are expected in exchange for the portability of this unit. If I'm working close, I put the CI-160 on a stand and shine it through a white umbrella, tissue paper or bounce off a white panel for softer light.

This light is sold ala carte and doesn't include batteries or power brick. I recommend using Sony NP-F series battery clones: clones are inexpensive, readily available and power it for hours on a charge (DSTE 2x NP-F550 Li-ion Battery + DC01 Charger). I'm impressed with the multiple battery options but thus far have only used a STK NP-F550 clone. It yields nearly two hours of light at 100% power. It's a tight squeeze to install a NP-F550 and my finger often snags the AA battery springs. Also, battery pins are delicate so go easy on them.

The ABS case appears durable but will likely break if dropped on hard surfaces. The tripod socket on the bottom is big deal for me as it allows more flexibility than integral mounts, e.g., use of an arca quick release plate or the ability to mount directly on tripods or monopods. However, it is a metal socket set into plastic so treat it gently and don’t over tighten.

I own a similar light, the NEEWER CN-160. Initially I thought they were the same model but noticed minor differences: the Chromo is thinner, has an all-in-one battery compartment instead of plates, slide-in filters rather than clip-on, a tripod socket on the bottom and dimmer on the back rather than side. The Neewer is closer to 5600K and doesn’t have a green color cast. Instead, it’s slightly magenta. However, the smaller size of the CI-160 is preferable for hot shoe use and I really like the tripod socket.

For a Jackson and change, the Chromo 160 LED CI-160 is an excellent small video light. Be aware of the green cast and use a magenta filter or be prepared for extra work color correcting in post production.
4 helpful votes
on January 26, 2014
I’m award winning special effects filmmaker so I generally wouldn’t consider buying a light this cheap unless I was going to put it in harms way. In my opinion the Chromo CI-160 is the best inexpensive on-camera motion picture (video) light that money can buy right now. The Chromo CI-160 has a metal hot shoe adapter and the Neewer CN-160 has a plastic one. Needless to say plastic hot shoes tend to break even when you accidentally bump the light into something. The Chromo has a lot more options then the Neewer for attaching the light to a camera, a camera bracket or light stand. If your camcorder has a mini hot shoe you’ll need a mini hot shoe to a full size hot shoe adapter with either of these lights. The Chromo is thinner and has the light switch on the back opposed to the Neewer which is about 1” thicker and has the light switch is on the side. I prefer having the light adjustment on the back so you can make adjustments as you're filming. In contrary of another review on here the battery checker on the Chromo also works when the light is switched off.

I don’t recommend using either of these lights as your main light for taking pictures. Built-in camera flash units produce a significant amount more light. For you geeks the incident light meter was set at ISO 400 and shutter speed set at 1/60 of a second. The incident light measurement was taken 3-feet away from the lights in a dark room = f 2.0 respectively.