Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,986 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,538 reviews
on December 15, 2015
The Complete Chronicles of Narnia (text only) by C. S. Lewis,P. Baynes I bought this copy because for one, I personally did not want a "movie tie-in" version, I wanted to have a hardcover edition that contained all of the books in one that I could keep for years and pass down to my children - in short, good quality, tasteful, with pictures.

It was described as being "Used - Good", but it arrived in excellent condition (no noticeable tears on the book itself with only slight page wear). This version came with a book jacket which is identical to the hard cover itself, so I threw away the jacket which was well worn. Also, the book description says "text only", which is strange, because this copy has tons of the original illustrations in full-color (I'll try to post pictures soon).

I feel like I hit the jackpot with this purchase and I highly encourage everyone to get this copy ASAP, because I've noticed the price of the "all-in-one" books skyrocketing lately (Barnes and Noble used to have a "leather"-bound copy for $20 three years ago which is $100 now). I sure hope these books don't go out of print, but if they do, you'll be glad you purchased this particular version, because it'll be passed down the family.
11 comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2016
This is a beautiful paperback box set of the Narnia collection, that so many of us grew up with. The covers are nice, thick and protective of the pages inside, which are of good paper stock. I have no print fading or errors that I've noticed.

The art on the outter box is beautiful on all sides, with a little read up at the top. For paperbacks, I believe this is the way to go! Highly recommended!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on November 6, 2013
I wanted to have all seven Chronicles-of-Narnia books in a single ebook, and that's exactly what this product delivers.

When I pre-ordered this item several months in advance, I was fortunate enough to find it on sale for $12--a real bargain. Upon its release, it was priced at $44.99, which I think is high for a digital box set like this. Fortunately, the price recently dropped to $24.99, which is a decent buy. By comparison, one can currently acquire the seven separate books at $5.98 each and spend just under $42 (not counting any sales tax that might apply). Of course, someone who really wants Boxen (not of interest to me) would still have to get that somewhere else.

Based on the publisher's description of this box set, I was afraid there wouldn't be any illustrations at all. I was pleased to discover that the publisher included one illustration at the beginning of each chapter in each book. The other in-line illustrations found throughout the text of the individual ebooks were omitted in this edition, which is aimed at older readers, according to the publisher. I was glad that at least some of the illustrations were included in this edition. However, since I would have preferred that this edition include all of the same illustrations as the seven separate ebooks, I have taken away one star.

If you are a Narnia fan and, like me, prefer to have collections of related books in a single ebook to reduce the clutter on your Kindle, I recommend this edition--so long as you don't mind that not all of the illustrations are included. If you're an older reader like me and just want a nice, convenient way to re-read the Chronicles of Narnia, this should meet that need quite nicely. However, if you're buying the Chronicles of Naria primarily to read to your children or grandchildren, and you want to show them the illustrations as you go along, I recommend sticking with the individual ebooks, which include the complete illustrations, even though that will likely mean spending more.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2016
Barnes and Noble's Narnia(complete) Classics leather bound is a great addition to your child's library. The book is a beautiful blue with silver embossed images, classic style art and maps, an attached ribbon bookmark, and golden page trim (not pictured).
Obviously the book is rather large and heavy so it's more for staying in and reading than reading on-the-go, however my main complaint about this line of B & N classics is that the paper used is incredibly thin and delicate - as you can surely see from the title page image attached - the paper is so thin it is considerably transparent. But with an original price tag of aprox. $20USD per book it is a steal.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 16, 2016
Reader thoughts: An escape in the night, an abandoned castle, ancient ruins, a thwarted murder, a near-drowning, a werewolf, and a final duel. This book sounds like horror, but it's not. Part of that is probably because most of it is told through the story of a dwarf.

I love the bear sucking his paw. I love Reepicheep and his tail. I love the teacher drawn into the dancing and singing parade. I love that Edmund forgets his flashlight. I love that the dwarf has to run to Aslan. I love that the Telmarines were descendants of pirates.

Caspian says, "I was wishing that I came of a more honourable lineage."
Aslan replies, "You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve. And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth. Be content."

Writer thoughts: Why is it that some books can be read over and over without exhaustion, and some books need only be read once? Is it the reader's preference, or is it something the writer has done to the writing or story?

I suspect it is both. In the case of the Narnia books, I daresay the credit belongs to Lewis. His characters are real and complex, and his writing style is simple. I mean that it doesn't try to make the reader guess what's happening or why. It doesn't try to use fancy wording or strange metaphors with lots of purple prose.

What are some other things Lewis does that make his books timeless?

Happy endings. Clear good and evil. Problems relatable to our world. The frankness of the dialogue (on-the-nose dialogue is usually a bad idea, but his works well).

The number one factor, though, is probably nostalgia. So many people have read these as young kids and remember them from that. (This can't be the only aspect because there are plenty of children's books that aren't worth reading over and over and over.)

Without Lewis's books, I would argue that a book needs subtlety and layers in order to be enjoyed again. I would have said a book needs to hide a few discoveries in its folds so that readers can find them the second time through (like foreshadowings). However, Lewis shows that's not strictly necessary.
on February 10, 2017
Love these books, but the font size is much too small on the Narnia Box Set (with movie pictures on box, linked below). It is advertised as for Grade 3 and up, but likely only Jr. High and older would be comfortable with this small of a Font Size. We are surprised that Harper Collins would publish such a small text Font Size, knowing that many children would be their audience.

***It would be very helpful if Amazon would include the Font Size in the product description for books and other literature.*** (Surprised that they don't already include this.)

Chronicles of Narnia Box Set

We are sending this box set back regrettably, and instead ordering this 2000-published box set, which is a couple inches taller, hoping it has an adequate font size for young readers (link below). It costs $8 more, but should hopefully be the solution we need for the too-small font.

The Chronicles of Narnia Box Set: Full-Color Collector's Edition
on January 13, 2017
The Chronicles of Narnia are classic tales that everyone should read at least once. I fell in love with Narnia in high school, but these are great stories to read to younger children. Like Tolkien's journals of Middle Earth, C.S.Lewis has created an entire new world, and as in all worlds, there is an epic battle between good and evil. I believe that getting immersed in this type of fantasy helps teach young people morals and the fact that the world is bigger than just our own little lives. Sometimes you just have to stand up against all evil for what is good and right and pure. We are living in such tumultuous times with a medieval death squad marching from the middle east slaughtering innocents, we need teach of children that good is worth sacrifice. I highly recommend these books to folks of all ages. I think I will read them again now that I am old enough to be a grandmother.
on January 20, 2016
Published by HarperCollins under its HarperTrophy premium label. They are luxurious to hold and read, will last many years. Comes in a boxed set of paperbacks. A great edition on premium paper with colored versions of the original artwork. I had seen the HarperTrophy version, was very impressed, and hoped this set was the same (I would have sent it back if it were not) and was delighted when it arrived.

The series is numbered in the popular sequence, beginning with The Magician's Nephew which Lewis wrote 6th, not first, and some scholars believe should NOT be read first (I happen to agree) because it reveals many details that destroy some of the mystery of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, the first book Lewis wrote. Imagine reading a description of the details and workings of Harry Potter's world of magic before reading the first novel.
on June 4, 2016
Absolutely beautiful book. I've been looking for it for a long time and found many different deals on it but this ended up being the best. Plus it was here the day right after I purchased it.
review image review image review image review image
on November 13, 2016
We purchased these for my nephew and he loves them. I love that it came in a set so he has them all even though he is loaning them to his cousins.