Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 435 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 543 reviews
on February 20, 2016
This has been an old favorite game since it's original release on the SNES system in 1995 and it pleases me to find out its been made portable. The game story and New Game + feature always gave it a lot of replay value, but I've learned since receiving this version release that the DS production included another side Arena feature that allows one to raise a monster to fight within the game and through wireless connect for additional game play value. The original story was always engaging and constantly making me question if I've discovered all possible aspects to create the best possible game save when traveling through time. While I would have been content with just a port from a console system to a portal system for nostalgic game play value -- I'm glad to see that additional content was both considered and added which makes it more of an addition to my collection versus just re-buying the game on a different system platform. For those not familiar with the game or story itself, this is definitely one to experience for yourself versus watching any online game play through videos. As the player you get to make choices that will affect your game that an online game play through will not cover. This aspect makes the game uniquely your own. There are also multiple endings and tangents that not everyone will experience without going through the game themselves. For a game that has been around for about 21 years -- it's one that I've rarely seen drop in price and has become a collector's item in its own right for older and original (non re-release/re-production) copies on older platforms of the game. Unless you personally didn't enjoy the story or style of game-play design, it's very difficult to find this game put up for re-sale at places like GameStop. The fact that this game is now made portable and its original design made it easy to pick up and put down between game sessions has made it a favorite go-to game when in between something to play with other game releases. Plus now I can take the game with me on a portable game platform which previously was not possible.
on July 20, 2017
What can be said about the DS version of one of the most iconic SNES games ever created that hasn't already been said?
Graphically and sound wise, it has everything the SNES version has.
Translation wise, it has the same great translations (A re-translation to change the meaning of things so that they're closer to the original Japanese in intent) as the iOS and Android port (Those games actually use the translation from this version).
Feature wise it has all of the in game anime cutscenes that the PlayStation version has without the annoying loading time while moving between zones and starting/ending battles that the PlayStation version has.
Content wise, it has extra dungeons and content after you finish the game (Like the iOS and Android versions).

It basically has the best of every version that's been released so far. Not to mention the fact that you can close your DS/3DS and it suspends the game. When I lock my Android phone on the Android version, the game restarts and I have to load from the last save.

Since you can only save outside of dungeons, this has made it nearly unplayable for me.

What are you waiting for?
on July 16, 2011
Ever since its debut on the Super Nintendo way back in 1995, Chrono Trigger has remained one of my favorite games of all time. I had played it over again so many times that I had the game script memorized. When Chrono Trigger (CT) was announced for the DS in 2008, I rushed out to pre-order a copy. In fact, this game was the reason I bought a DS. I was in no way disappointed in my decision!

What makes Chrono Trigger great

The original game was ahead of its time (no pun intended) and groundbreaking in many ways. The graphics and music were jaw-dropping in their day, and while they have no doubt aged, there's nothing ugly about them. Toriyama's style definitely comes through, characters' expressions are clear, and tech attacks look like they would actually hurt! The music is moving and always fits the situation. The story really shines; I have not seen another RPG (or any other game for that matter) before or since that has incorporated all of the aspects of time travel the way CT has. You travel back and forth through time, from prehistory to the post-apocalypse to try to find a way to stop the inevitable evil coming to destroy the planet. Your actions in one time period have consequences, affecting an individual or even an entire town in the future. And there's never a place in the story that feels slow or seems to drag on. The characters are also unique, ranging from a robot from the future to a feisty, barefisted cavewoman, to a chivalrous knightly frog-man. Each character's magic or "tech" attacks are unique to them and can even be combined with other teammates to perform devastating (and just plain cool looking) double or even triple tech attacks. This is such a fun and cool idea and adds so much more to the battle experience and game strategy; I wonder why Square hasn't incorporated this into other games.

As others have pointed out, the game is fairly short for an RPG, especially by today's standards. On my first play through, I completed every single side quest and the DS extra content (more on that later) and still finished the game in about 26 hours. But this isn't so bad. I've found that in RPGs of the last decade, there's usually a point in the latter part of the game where I'm just ready to be done with it and that the story feels unnecessarily dragged out just for the sake of having extra hours of gameplay (I'm looking at you Final Fantasy!). But as much as I've played CT, I've never felt that way. The story moves forward and concludes at a good pace. And this game is definitely meant for replay. CT was one of the first (if not the first) games to introduce the New Game + feature. This allows you to replay the game but with all of your previous experience and items. This makes subsequent playthroughs easier and faster, and you're also able to challenge the final boss at just about any time, which allows you to unlock the game's multiple endings. The game boasts 10 different endings, ranging from just silly (Good Night) to showing the consequences of beating the game before certain storylines or time periods were concluded. There are also variations on the standard ending, ranging from small to great, depending on how you faced the final boss and what actions you took or didn't take beforehand. And as much as I've played and re-played CT, it seems like I always find something new I had missed before.

DS Version = better Chrono Trigger

In my opinion, the DS version is the definitive one. Keep in mind that this is a port of the original 16-bit game, not a complete remake like, say, Final Fantasy IV DS. The Playstation port was nice in that it included anime cutscenes by the game's art and character designer, Akira Toriyama (of Dragonball fame), and also the extras feature that allowed you to unlock art illustration, music, a catalog of the endings you unlocked, etc. But I didn't like how the game had to load between each "map" (sometimes a single room, walking from one door to another) or how the background music would reset itself if you went to your menu, got into a battle, changed rooms, etc. And the music is definitely great enough to want to listen to. The DS version has everything that the PS version had (cutscenes, extras feature already unlocked) plus new content, without any loading or slow down or resetting.

You can choose to play the game in classic mode or DS mode, which moves menu choices and enemy data in battle to the lower screen, effectively freeing up the top screen. Outside of battle (in both modes), the lower screen displays the map of whatever area you are in and also allows you easy access to different menu functions (items, magic, equipment, changing characters, etc.) with a simple tap. Wisely, the developers made the game so that you run by default while moving (because who walks all the time?) and only walk by holding down a button.

DS Extra Content

Had this game been released without any extra content, I still would have snatched it up and loved it. These extras that are included are nothing spectacular but a nice little bonus.

Arena of the Ages - this is basically a monster raising/battling mini-game, where you train up a little monster that resembles a nu. I personally don't care for these type of games. I played with this the first playthrough and have not bothered doing it again since. For me, it distracted too much from the real fun of the game, which was the story!

Lost Sanctum - This extra town/dungeon appears near the end of the game and spans two time periods. It involves a lot of "go-fer" quests that can get annoying. But doing so can earn you many rare and new items and weapons/armor that can even rival your already-ultimate weapons/armor.

Dimensional Vortex - opens up after beating the game for the first time. The vortices span three time periods. It's a mixture of randomly-generated previous-dungeon rooms plus new areas with new monsters (mostly palette-swaps of previous enemies). Like the Lost Sanctum, completing these provides more better-than-ultimate gear and maxes out the stats of your present-age heroes. It also unlocks a new final boss (and ending) and works to tie together some story elements to the game's somewhat-sequel, Chrono Cross (another good but very different game). Very cool. Definitely the best of the extra content IMO.

New Translation Controversy

I feel like I should mention this since others here have brought this up. The DS version does have a new translation so that dialogue and the names of some items are different than how they were translated in the original game. I suspect this won't matter to anyone but people like me who have played the game enough times to have the original Ted Woolsey translation memorized.

I feel that, in some areas, the new translation has improved the game and in other ways it hasn't. I don't think it would be fair to call it a "bad" translation just because it isn't the original. On one hand, I think the original translation had a certain light-heartedness to it that added to the humor and fun of the experience while the new one seems to add some depth and seriousness to the game. The Woolsey translation was also overly PC in that it edited out references pertaining to alcohol, etc., which did cause some (unintentionally?) funny moments (Taban: "Yum! Lemonade sure tastes great outdoors!" when he's clearly chugging from a large beer stein. And soup races with Ayla??). I do miss some of the jokes from the original, such as the references to the Knights of the Square(soft/EA) Table. Frog's Shakespearean speech is also missed since it added so much to his chivalrous character. On the other hand, the new translation clarifies and adds humor to some otherwise odd moments in the game (Dalton's: "what's that behind you?" and Nizbel II explaining why you had to fight him after walking right past him).

The DS at least acknowledges Woolsey's creativity by letting most of the names of characters remain the same. For instance, the three villains from the Middle Ages, Ozzie, Slash, and Flea, are all named after rockers; in the original Japanese, they're named after condiments I believe. But why are Mystics renamed as Fiends? I'll never know.

All in all, there's nothing in the new translation that doesn't match the essence of what's contained in the original one. Sure, I admit I'm nostalgic and I miss the original one many times, but I personally don't think it's fair to knock an awesome game to a one star review just because of that.

The Verdict on Chrono Trigger DS

To summarize what I meant to be a shorter review: This is a truly great game. And this version of it on the DS is super. I have never come across another RPG (or game for that matter) before or since that has matched it in its variety and depth of story, its simplicity and fun, and its replayability. This version has everything that the PS version had and more. And it's going for such a bargain price right now. I bought the game at full price (30-something dollars!) in November 08. I just recently bought another copy here on Amazon when it was going for $16 (because three save slots doesn't seem like much sometimes). That should say something about how great a game it is. I can highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a superb RPG. If you haven't experienced CT before, you owe it to yourself to see what this game is all about!
on May 4, 2017
One of the best games ever made. I'm just happy I was able to grab a copy after recently getting a 3DS. I enjoyed it more now than I did when I first played it on the SNES when I was younger. The themes are mature and the music is absolutely incredible, one of the best video game soundtracks alongside Chrono Cross (both created by composer Yoshinori Mitsuda). It's a great introduction for anyone that wants to experience what is regarded as arguably the best example of a perfect JRPG from the 16-bit era.
on July 30, 2015
Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest video game RPGs of all time - perhaps one of the greatest video games of all time, period. It features incredible art, incredible music, a great story, great characters, and oh - it's really fun too. (It also has time travel, which I personally always consider a plus.)

The DS version of the game is in my opinion the best version of the game so far. It includes all of the cinema scenes created for the Playstation version, without the slow-down when entering the menus that the Playstation version suffered from. It also has several new areas to keep things interesting for us Chrono Trigger veterans (though those new areas aren't nearly as good as the original material), a couple of which answer some of the questions left by Chrono Trigger's very confusing sequel, Chrono Cross.

Also, for us English speakers, there is a new translation which not only reads better than the old translation but is more accurate to the original Japanese.
on December 26, 2013
Chrono Trigger transcends what most games will turn out to be: just a game. However, Chrono Trigger is different. Chrono Trigger is not just a game. Chrono Trigger is a masterstroke. It can be simply described as Nintendo doing everything right- just like titles such as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mother 3, Metroid Prime, and other beloved masterpieces.

The story is riveting in the same fashion as the Nintendo 64 Zelda games. The characters are lovable and memorable; much like the Mother series. The game is immersive, in the same fashion as in Metroid Prime, when you first set foot on Tallon IV. And as a musician gamer, the soundtrack is what I hold dearest. The soundtrack is simply gorgeous- in fact, the soundtrack is what lead me to play this game for the first time.

But the above is nothing new for many who will purchase this product. This is a remake of an SNES title. And as perfect as the SNES version was, I feel that they improved perfection in this redux. (Cue fanboy hate)

-The implementation of the touch screen removes a lot of clutter from the top screen where all the action is. The inventory is easier to access and it looks visually better; the second screen makes many actions a lot easier and is very appreciated.

-The translation was also changed a lot; The story is the same, but the text has much more clarity; Now don't get me wrong. This is a good thing. It is rather refreshing in my humble opinion.

-I may be wrong, but I could almost swear they improved the sound quality. The instruments are the same ones in the SNES so fret not nostalgia bros, but I feel as if the sound quality is a whole lot clearer.

There is a whole lot more that I really don't feel like writing. I cannot find anything wrong with this remake. It breathes new life into my beloved Chrono Trigger. It doesn't matter whether you are a youngblood or one of the old breed. This remake caters to both.

So, that said- If you are new to the series, hang on. You're about to play arguably the best game ever made. If you have played Chrono Trigger before, get ready to live it again, in an exciting new way. This is the way a remake is supposed to be done. Kudos, Square Enix.
on September 3, 2016
Really fantastic port of one of the best turn based RPGs ever made. This is more or less a straight port of the SNES version of the game with the PS1 version cutscenes added in. It's really a best-of-both-worlds kind of setup, and if you're looking for a good version of the original game on a more modern platform, this is the one to get. If you've never played Chrono Trigger before, and are looking for a great handheld time-killer, look no further. There are few games I can unequivocally recommend to people from all walks of life, but this is definitely one of them.
on November 8, 2015
Chrono Trigger is a true classic that is regarded by many as one of the best RPGs of all time. It is my personal favorite, and I still consider it to be the greatest RPG ever made. It is the RPG by which all other RPGs should be judged by, in terms of gameplay, story, sound, and overall quality.

[If you do not want to read through the ENTIRE review, you can read the last paragraph where i briefly summarize some of the higher merits of the game]

[You may skip this first paragraph if you want to get to the review proper]

The Premise of the story and plot is centered around the concept of time. It is the year 1000 A.D. You play the role of Chrono, a spiky-haired teen who lives with his mom and cat in the kingdom of Guardia. At Guardia's Millennial Fair, he meets Marle, the king's tomboyish daughter. Together, they go to see Crono's friend Lucca's new invention, which is a transportation device that will beam someone from one pod to the other. Marle offers to try it out, but the mysterious pendant she wears reacts to the machine's energy, and she is pulled through a portal opened up by the pendant. Crono goes through the portal to try to bring her back, and ends up 400 years in the past! Thus begins a long journey to stabilize the time stream and put the universe back in its working order before the day of the apocalypse.

If that does not sound interesting to you already then rpgs just may not be your cup of tea. This is merely just the prologue of the story. The main party of characters will grow as you travel across many time periods, and even alternate time lines in an attempt to save the future from the past. The plot becomes very rich and deep, which makes it very easy to get into and create a truly immense world for the gamer to delve in to.

The gameplay in Chrono Trigger is some of the best in any RPG. Ever. Being an RPG, it has the same basic formula of other games in the genre during the SNES era. There are two parties, and you take turns attacking each other. That’s pretty much where the similarities end. Like some other RPGs, the battles are not random. Instead, you see the enemies on your screen before battle, and you can avoid them if you please (Grandia, Secret of Mana, and others use similar systems). When you begin a battle in Chrono Trigger, the first thing you will notice is that the parties aren’t lined up in straight lines across the field like in so many other RPGs. During the fight, your characters will move all around the field, which makes for a more realistic experience and even adds to the strategy. The next thing you will notice is the bar below each of your character’s names. This is what is referred to as an ACT bar. When a character’s ACT bar is fully filled, they can perform an action. In Chrono Trigger, the three actions are Attack, Tech, and Item. Choosing attack will have your character unleash a standard attack on an enemy of your choice. Item will have them use an item. Now that the obvious is out of the way, let’s move our focus to the Tech option, and the real innovation of Chrono Trigger. This is one feature that really sets this game apart from anything else out there. The Tech option opens a list of special attacks (all character specific) that can be used by your character. You can wait until your other characters have filled their ACT bars and unleash a bigger Tech attack. Combinations of different characters have different Tech attacks, and each attack has its advantages and disadvantages. For example, Crono and Frog can perform the X Slash attack together after they have both learned certain Techs, while Marle and Crono can perform Aura Whirl together. As each character learns new Techs and the game progresses, new Dual Techs and even Triple Techs will be added to the list. This adds a lot of strategy to the game and makes the battles very intense. Although the amount of 3d animation effects will not live up to games like Final fantasy VII or Final fantasy IX, obviously because these are from the 16 bit era. But during their time, I can’t stress enough that Final Fantasy VI and chrono trigger are two games that really pushed the power and the boundaries of the SNES in regards to graphics.

The graphics in CT are absolutely wonderful, perhaps only being passed by those found in Seiken Densetsu 3 for the title of best looking SNES game. Everything is gorgeous. The character designs done by Akira Toriyama give the characters an anime look and feel to them. The environments in the game look very detailed, colorful, and extremely fitting to the atmosphere. On more than one occasion, I’ve found myself gazing at the rich 2D world in awe. This is what 2D games should look like. Chrono Trigger sets a benchmark for all SNES games, and all 2D games in general. Every single person, house, enemy, and blade of grass has its own touch to it. It brings the story to life in a way that can’t be matched.

Chrono Trigger is also relatively short, which helps when playing through multiple times. There are many side quests in the game. I guess you can say that’s one flaw if I had to put any complaint at all on this title, is it’s a bit short, in comparison to most Final fantasy Games like IV, VI, VII, VIII, and IX. Most of them aren't necessary to finish the game, but you can get some very valuable items if you take the time to complete them. But being a little on the shorter end gives you more of an incentive to want to replay the game multiple times to unlock all that extra content.

Speaking of extra content, Chrono trigger has an immense amount of extra stuff you can do either during game or post end game. There are so many extra side quests an stuff to accomplish, probably not as much as Final fantasy XII but still very close to it. Each little extra scenario also comes with its own plot threads that help resolve some character background story and adds to the plot, it’s not just a bunch of typical fetch quests, or hunting monsters.

Chrono Trigger shines in all aspects, but one area where it really shines is music. Famed Composers, Yasunori Mitsuda who also worked on Chrono Cross by himself and Nobuo Uematsu come together to bring you the best music of any game and of any generation that will live on in your memory for years to come.

Out of all my years of playing video games, I've never played a game with better music than Chrono Trigger with the exception of Final fantasy VI. [See my review] Comparing and contrasting musical scores from both games is just extremely difficult for me. Both of them are absolutely stellar, any fan can tell you this rather they knock the game because their a western audience fanbase and they think all jrpgs fall into niche cliché category, lots of little minor faults that people point out all the time in video games, especially a small niche genre like jrpgs are accustomed to a lot of hate and debate. There is no denying MUSIC is absolutely both of these games strongest aspects If anyone tells you different or is argumentative and debates this matter, from my personal point of view most likely they are trolling. Every song in the game is well-done, and many of them are simply masterpieces. There are a large variety of musical styles in the game, and each song fits perfectly with its situation, conveying the feeling that it is supposed to just like the phenomenal scores used in Final fantasy VI and other games from the “Black Mages”

Magus's theme is dark and foreboding, perfect for his character. The song playing while in Guardia Castle is one of my favorites, with a triumphant feel to it. The music playing during major boss battles conveys a sense of awe, importance, and urgency. The imfamous Frog theme during the opening of his characters and the poetic lines of dialogue he uses gives you a sense of a strong personalized character with great leadership qualities much like Cyan's theme in Final fantasy VI. (I do want to stress for those that are probably wondering, the frog dialogue has been changed in the DS version of this game. It no longer has that poetic ancient eastern fantasy dialect that the original had) The regular battle music is catchy, like many of the songs. The over world map themes are actually some of the best in the game, better than most other games. The music is so good that I actually have the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, and I highly recommend getting it if you can.

Chrono Trigger's replay value is another thing that i absolutly can't forget to mention, for a number of reasons. There are about 12 possible endings you can get, depending on what you do during the game. Playing repeatedly again just to get all the endings alone is worth it. A great feature that adds to the replay value is “New Game +” This feature at the time was a very unique idea only implemented in a very few selection of games, in fact im not entirely sure if chrono trigger was the first game to implement this feature, it very well could have been but it became so popular that now a days it’s pretty much used in almost any mainstream title of this generation and last generation and has diverted into various other genre’s of video gaming. This makes playing through again and getting all of the endings a lot easier. Same with Chrono cross for the playstation. This is also necessary in order to get some of the endings, which I won’t spoil.

Chrono Trigger excels in all areas; its gameplay, its story line, its character, personality, graphics and sounds. If that weren't enough, there are twelve different endings you can watch, so there will be a lot of replay value to look forward to and a ton of end game content that make sup for the rather shorter main story. There's very few flaws in this game, that I would go as far as saying it's flawless. The game feels so comfortable, that it molds into you. And the battle system feels so polished; comparing from a visual point of view from many other games on the snes it’s clear which game has the better graphical quality. you'll never get bored of it. The beautiful cast in Chrono Trigger is unforgettable, and when departing with them, you'll feel kind of sad that the game finally ends.
on February 10, 2011
This is an amazing game, and the DS version even moreso. I played the SNES version and it was great even then, but my SNES copy was beginning to get old and not work very well, so I purchased the PS version and was sadly disappointed by the poor loading times. I still played it, since it actually worked, but the loading times were awful. I did enjoy the little "extras" they added to the PS version. The DS version must take all the cake though. Better loading times, amazing sound quality, and MORE STORYLINE if thats possible. There are also better weapons, and the translation is better. I just loved the DS version. I'm so glad I ordered it. As soon as I got my Nintendo DS (Birthday present) I logged into Amazon and picked one-day shipping so I'd have CT the next day. I must say, I'm glad I did. This game cannot be beat. I am a huge World of Warcraft addict, but let me tell you, I'd drop WoW in a heartbeat if they made a CT MMO. I already neglected WoW for a whole day just to immerse myself in this wonderful world once again.

The only thing I disliked about the DS version was the Schala thing (will not go into it, for fear of spoilers). It was more storyline and thats always great to see, but I always liked to pretend Chrono Cross never happened and the fate of Schala was similar to that of Magus (with less evil and demons). Schala has always been a favorite character of mine, and her storyline and the way it ended saddened me, especially what she did to Magus. He IS my favorite character.
on March 20, 2013
Chrono Trigger is one of those role playing games you must play at some point, even if you don't normally play such games. The battle system was groundbreaking for its time, as battles take place without loading a separate battle screen. Instead, the player can avoid some encounters completely if they choose to and there are no random battles to interrupt exploration of the game world. Also, the game is friendly to newcomers since grinding for levels is not really encouraged, which is by design. Boss fights in the game may punish you not for low levels but rather reckless attacking. If an enemy is giving you trouble, make sure you try a new tactic and you may find a previously unknown weakness to exploit. Chrono Trigger was also unique when it was first released on the SNES for its plethora of unlockable endings and new game plus mode, a mode where you can start the game over and carry progress over from a finished game file.

This version for the Nintendo DS has some extras that originally were included with the PSX release of the game. These include animated cutscenes, a bestiary, and a treasure map revealing where secret items can be found. On top of that, there is unlockable game art and the game logs the various endings that are possible to achieve, showing that you have seen them at least once. Some new features exclusive to this release are present, like a monster fighting arena that lets you link wirelessly with a friend to battle monsters you have trained or fight against computer controlled monsters to unlock weapons and other useful items.

If you own a Nintendo DS or DSi (or 3DS since that system plays DS game cartridges), do yourself a favor and pick this game up!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.