Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 411 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 521 reviews
on February 20, 2016
This has been an old favorite game since it's original release on the SNES system in 1995 and it pleases me to find out its been made portable. The game story and New Game + feature always gave it a lot of replay value, but I've learned since receiving this version release that the DS production included another side Arena feature that allows one to raise a monster to fight within the game and through wireless connect for additional game play value. The original story was always engaging and constantly making me question if I've discovered all possible aspects to create the best possible game save when traveling through time. While I would have been content with just a port from a console system to a portal system for nostalgic game play value -- I'm glad to see that additional content was both considered and added which makes it more of an addition to my collection versus just re-buying the game on a different system platform. For those not familiar with the game or story itself, this is definitely one to experience for yourself versus watching any online game play through videos. As the player you get to make choices that will affect your game that an online game play through will not cover. This aspect makes the game uniquely your own. There are also multiple endings and tangents that not everyone will experience without going through the game themselves. For a game that has been around for about 21 years -- it's one that I've rarely seen drop in price and has become a collector's item in its own right for older and original (non re-release/re-production) copies on older platforms of the game. Unless you personally didn't enjoy the story or style of game-play design, it's very difficult to find this game put up for re-sale at places like GameStop. The fact that this game is now made portable and its original design made it easy to pick up and put down between game sessions has made it a favorite go-to game when in between something to play with other game releases. Plus now I can take the game with me on a portable game platform which previously was not possible.
on December 26, 2013
Chrono Trigger transcends what most games will turn out to be: just a game. However, Chrono Trigger is different. Chrono Trigger is not just a game. Chrono Trigger is a masterstroke. It can be simply described as Nintendo doing everything right- just like titles such as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mother 3, Metroid Prime, and other beloved masterpieces.

The story is riveting in the same fashion as the Nintendo 64 Zelda games. The characters are lovable and memorable; much like the Mother series. The game is immersive, in the same fashion as in Metroid Prime, when you first set foot on Tallon IV. And as a musician gamer, the soundtrack is what I hold dearest. The soundtrack is simply gorgeous- in fact, the soundtrack is what lead me to play this game for the first time.

But the above is nothing new for many who will purchase this product. This is a remake of an SNES title. And as perfect as the SNES version was, I feel that they improved perfection in this redux. (Cue fanboy hate)

-The implementation of the touch screen removes a lot of clutter from the top screen where all the action is. The inventory is easier to access and it looks visually better; the second screen makes many actions a lot easier and is very appreciated.

-The translation was also changed a lot; The story is the same, but the text has much more clarity; Now don't get me wrong. This is a good thing. It is rather refreshing in my humble opinion.

-I may be wrong, but I could almost swear they improved the sound quality. The instruments are the same ones in the SNES so fret not nostalgia bros, but I feel as if the sound quality is a whole lot clearer.

There is a whole lot more that I really don't feel like writing. I cannot find anything wrong with this remake. It breathes new life into my beloved Chrono Trigger. It doesn't matter whether you are a youngblood or one of the old breed. This remake caters to both.

So, that said- If you are new to the series, hang on. You're about to play arguably the best game ever made. If you have played Chrono Trigger before, get ready to live it again, in an exciting new way. This is the way a remake is supposed to be done. Kudos, Square Enix.
on February 10, 2011
This is an amazing game, and the DS version even moreso. I played the SNES version and it was great even then, but my SNES copy was beginning to get old and not work very well, so I purchased the PS version and was sadly disappointed by the poor loading times. I still played it, since it actually worked, but the loading times were awful. I did enjoy the little "extras" they added to the PS version. The DS version must take all the cake though. Better loading times, amazing sound quality, and MORE STORYLINE if thats possible. There are also better weapons, and the translation is better. I just loved the DS version. I'm so glad I ordered it. As soon as I got my Nintendo DS (Birthday present) I logged into Amazon and picked one-day shipping so I'd have CT the next day. I must say, I'm glad I did. This game cannot be beat. I am a huge World of Warcraft addict, but let me tell you, I'd drop WoW in a heartbeat if they made a CT MMO. I already neglected WoW for a whole day just to immerse myself in this wonderful world once again.

The only thing I disliked about the DS version was the Schala thing (will not go into it, for fear of spoilers). It was more storyline and thats always great to see, but I always liked to pretend Chrono Cross never happened and the fate of Schala was similar to that of Magus (with less evil and demons). Schala has always been a favorite character of mine, and her storyline and the way it ended saddened me, especially what she did to Magus. He IS my favorite character.
on September 3, 2016
Really fantastic port of one of the best turn based RPGs ever made. This is more or less a straight port of the SNES version of the game with the PS1 version cutscenes added in. It's really a best-of-both-worlds kind of setup, and if you're looking for a good version of the original game on a more modern platform, this is the one to get. If you've never played Chrono Trigger before, and are looking for a great handheld time-killer, look no further. There are few games I can unequivocally recommend to people from all walks of life, but this is definitely one of them.
on March 10, 2017
Obviously it gets 5 stars it's chrono trigger, took me 4 hours to put this game down when it came in today, got here in about a day and a half so that was cool exactly how I wanted my Friday to go really but anyone who knows what chrono trigger is knows why it gets 5 stars, if you don't know what it is get it because it has a ton of replay value and it's not overly complicated or anything the only thing I will say is the battle mechanics can take some getting use to if you're use to stand still turn base combat, other than that it's a perfect game in my opinion
on August 6, 2015
I was happy to find this game still available for purchase, considering it's immense popularity. I recently acquired the New Nintendo 3DS XL in Feb.2015, and I needed to add this to my collection of must-have games. It plays great on the new handheld, and I recommend it.
on December 18, 2014
I'm not sure why I waited until 2014 to play the definitive RPG experience of the 16 Bit generation. I'd always heard how great it was, but never got around to seeing for myself just how awesome it was. Maybe I was afraid I'd be disappointed after all the years of hype. I hate hype. Or maybe I just didn't believe deep down that a Super Nintendo game could stand the test of time in the same way Playstation's Final Fantasy VII has in my opinion.
Whatever caused me to look elsewhere for RPG greatness, it was completely unfounded.
This game really is the model that every developer should look to emulate in their attempts at creating a solid, enjoyable, and memorable game. The main story itself (to which there are multiple endings and choices to make) is good enough to make a playthrough worthwhile. The gameplay is polished and easy to learn while at the same time providing options for diverse battle tactics and loadouts, with each character learning Tech abilities as they level up. Those Tech abilities can be combined with other characters' to create combo attacks that are as fun to try out as finding a character's ultimate weapon. Speaking of which, this is the part that impressed me most about Chrono Trigger: While the story and gameplay are flawless, they were made infinitely more enjoyable by the inclusion of lots and lots of side quests. These side quests reward you with various weapons and equipment (totally worth it), and also side storylines that dive deeper into each character's past and motives (even more worth it). I think I put more time into tracking all of these quests down and completing them than I did for the main quest.
I didn't want the game to end when I finished the final battle, but I ran out of things to do to delay it, and still wish there had been such a thing as DLC when Chrono Trigger was released. The idea of new episodes being added, a la Fallout 3, would be amazing. Come to think of it, it could be totally possible. What do you think, Square Enix? Eh? Eh?
If you've been questioning whether it's worth checking Chrono Trigger out, like I did for years, put your doubts aside. Every gamer should experince this at least once.
on March 22, 2017
This is the Playstation remake version not the old Super Nintendo version. So it has the cut scene videos. All on a Nintendo DS cartridge. Great game for handheld.
on December 8, 2016
Pretty cool to be able to replay one of my all time faves. Popped it into my DS and immediately got tingles in my stomach from the visuals/music. Pure nostalgic bliss.
on February 28, 2017
Just a awesome classic RPG that goes down in history love this game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.